Apple releases iOS 7 golden master to developers ahead of Sept. 18 public launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Developers testing Apple's new iOS 7 mobile operating system were supplied with the golden master, or presumed final build, of the software on Tuesday after the company revealed its new iPhone lineup.

biggity

The iOS 7 golden master update can be obtained through Apple's online developer portal. People familiar with the software said it is identified as "Build 11A465."

The release of the iOS 7 GM means that developers will have a little over a week to test their applications before the software is made available to the masses. Apple announced earlier Tuesday that iOS 7 will be made available to the public on Wednesday, Sept. 18.

iOS 7 will launch just two days before Apple's latest smartphones ? the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c ? go on sale. Both of those devices will ship with iOS 7 preinstalled.

For current iOS device users, iOS 7 will become available for iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 4; the fourth- and third-generation iPad, iPad 2, and iPad mini, as well as the fifth-generation iPod touch. It will be a free download.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66

Fire up those BT clients...

• Reply 2 of 66
    The BT channels are going to be burning hot soon....
  • Reply 3 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    iOS 7 GM not yet showing as an available update yet in settings for me in central west Florida.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    If I have beta 6 of the ios 7 will I be able to update to the goldmaster version or wil I have to uninstall it or will I be able to update it without uninstalling the beta version?
  • Reply 5 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

As much as I want to like the look of iOS 7, I'm just not onboard with the transparency, flat icons and text with low contrast and poor legibility. I admittedly have not tried any of the developer builds but still, I have some doubts about the theme.

• Reply 6 of 66

That's because it's not being released until 1pm Pacific time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

iOS 7 GM not yet showing as an available update yet in settings for me in central west Florida.

• Reply 7 of 66
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:

The big question is: can you update from a previous iOS 7 DP release to the GM version?  Or is it just software updatable from iOS 6 to iOS 7 GM?  In the past it's always required a full restore to go from DP to GM.  It's not clear from any of the release notes I've found.

• Reply 8 of 66
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »

OK thanks for that ...
  • Reply 9 of 66

I really do wish that Apple would provide a mechanism to let users to change the icons for default and third party apps.  I don't particularly care for a number of the default icons in iOS 7 (Notes and Reminders, in particular), and I am absolutely shocked at the "Voice Memos" app icon made the final cut.  It is easily the worst bit of design I've seen come out of Apple.

• Reply 10 of 66
    mstone wrote: »
    As much as I want to like the look of iOS 7, I'm just not onboard with the transparency, flat icons and text with poor contract and legibility. I admittedly have not tried any of the developer builds but still, I have some doubts about the theme.

Yeah... I wish you could tone down the transparency... especially on Control Center.

It just looks like a jumbled mess of colors and makes things hard to see.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    auxio wrote: »
    The big question is: can you update from a previous iOS 7 DP release to the GM version?  Or is it just software updatable from iOS 6 to iOS 7 GM?  In the past it's always required a full restore to go from DP to GM.  It's not clear from any of the release notes I've found.

Interesting point ... I guess we will find out in a few hours.

Anyone taking bets on the stitching in Find Friends ... :)
  • Reply 12 of 66
    Yeah... I wish you could tone down the transparency... especially on Control Center.

It just looks like a jumbled mess of colors and makes things hard to see.

In all this time I have never experience that. My only minor issue and it just my fault I guess for not being as mentally agile these days, I still look for certain icons that are radically different. It takes me a few moments to remember they have changed, such as Photos. I'll get there.. :) Otherwise I love it.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:

Interesting point ... I guess we will find out in a few hours.

The GM (full restore version) is already available to paid iOS developers on developer.apple.com, but I'm not seeing the update available on my iPhone.  So I'm thinking not.  It would probably be best to test apps with a fresh and clean GM installation anyways.

• Reply 14 of 66
    Originally Posted by jimlat View Post
    Fire up those BT clients...

Where's the downvote button…

Originally Posted by dead-1 View Post
    If I have beta 6 of the ios 7 will I be able to update to the goldmaster version or wil I have to uninstall it or will I be able to update it without uninstalling the beta version?

As a developer, you should know that.

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post
    Anyone taking bets on the stitching in Find Friends ... image

It's not part of the OS. Why would it be updated in the GM?

• Reply 15 of 66
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

That's because everything is late in West Florida.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

Where's the downvote button…

As a developer, you should know that.

It's not part of the OS. Why would it be updated in the GM?

I would imagine that in this major overhaul, things like that would stand out, and so would have been fixed early on. If not, that would be a big surprise.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I would imagine that in this major overhaul, things like that would stand out, and so would have been fixed early on. If not, that would be a big surprise.

Thing is, they very recently updated Find My iPhone AND Find My Friends. The former received a UI and icon overhaul, the latter didn't. 

• Reply 18 of 66
    I'm curious, is there an option to slightly bold up the font in 7? That's the big downside to it, the text really is spindly. It makes me think they weren't nearly scientific enough with legibility. If you want to see something that really is well thought out, look at the new highway font on interstate direction signs. They spent years figuring that out, even to the point of checking out fonts from other countries such as the British "worboys" font that was thought to be as good as it could get for legibility. What's really impressive about the US highway font is how effortless it is to read. That's also a feeling I have had with iOS 6. 7, not so much.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    @photoeditor
    Yes, there is an option in settings to make the text bold on a system-wide level.
  • Reply 20 of 66
    Well for all of you that don't like the transparency, your wish has been granted. The GM version has made things opaque gray tinted with whatever color your background is using. Personally I prefer the transparency to this. Very disappointed.