old old mac doesn't recognize printer

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
On my old computer that my parent use, i'm having major problems. well i was originally trying to configure it so i print to the Laserwriter 360 from my Quicksilver. I downloaded LocalTalk bridge, not sure which version. well my experiment failed so i decided to trash LocalTalk bridge. ever since then the PM 8500/120 doesn't allow me to select the printer.

well the computer runs like hell so i decided to zero all data and reinstall 8.5, but it still won't let me select the laserwriter

i checked all the connection, everything is connected fine

i think for some reason the computer has had it's last day and my parents will have to buy a new computer

any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Considering the age of the Mac 8500 - the internal clock battery is most likely dead. With that said, AppleTalk will always revert to the Printer/Serial port. If you're trying to print to a networkable Laserwriter via ethernet - that's the problem. Change Appletalk to Ethernet.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    i don't want to print on a network. it's always set on ethernet since this dinosaur is on the network.

i just want to be able to print from the 8500 directly to the Laserwriter and it won't let me select printer in the chooser.

i try apple printer utitlity and it claims it can't find the printr

so you think i need a new clock battery?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    i was thinking if the internal clock battery was bad, wouldn't the time be off?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    maybe i should reinstall LocalTalk bridge??