Apple's new 'space gray' color option shown off in iPod nano video

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A video uploaded to the Web on Friday highlights Apple's latest iPod nano in "space gray," the hue that will replace the iPhone 5's "slate" color option for the forthcoming iPhone 5s.

iPod Nano
Source: BrandHitTech via YouTube


Ben Pasternak of Sydney, Australia was able to get his hands on an iPod nano dressed in the new space gray color, and uploaded a video illustrating the hue "in the wild." From the short clip, the color appears a shade lighter than the previous slate option, but a bit darker than Apple's press images.

When Apple announced the iPhone 5s on Tuesday, it debuted the new space gray color option that will take the place of the outgoing "black and slate" iPhone 5 and ultimately extend to cover the company's anodized aluminum products.

In person, the color is actually very dark, bordering on black, Pasternak said. At times, and in certain lighting conditions, the surface appears "bluish" or takes on a purple tint. In sunlight, the gray becomes a bit lighter, but is not shiny due to the anodized aluminum's matte finish.



Apple is already selling the iPod nano, along with the iPod touch and iPod shuffle, in space gray, and will debut the color option for its flagship iPhone 5s on Sept. 20. When the handset hits stores, it will also be available in a new gold color and last year's silver.

For another look at the iPhone 5s is all three colors, as well as the iPhone 5c, check out AppleInsider's hands-on coverage.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 29
    It's a shame the black/slate is gone. To me, it was the most discreet - I liked how the slate parts were subtle, and didn't stick out like they do now.

    I guess it's a matter of seeing it in the flesh before I make my final choice - couple of reviews have said it looks a lot classier in person.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    1) Hopping over to Germany next Friday to see the S in person. Still debating on gray or gold. I know, the gold one looks tacky, but there's something about it...I cannot put my finger on it.

    2) Oh my, child labor narrator in that vid - not good.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    As none of you will remember or care, I bought the Moto X. It has quite a few features that are really awesome.

    And then I used it for photos of my daughter's first soccer game last night.

    Moto X return label has been printed and Verizon has promised that as soon as it's scanned into USPS' system, I can call and they'll reinstate my upgrade eligibility. I'm going back to the iPhone (5s). That was a very short lived experiment.

    What does this have to do with the article? I'm buying the space gray version ;-) Cheers all.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    allenbf wrote: »
    As none of you will remember or care, I bought the Moto X. It has quite a few features that are really awesome.

    And then I used it for photos of my daughter's first soccer game last night.

    Moto X return label has been printed and Verizon has promised that as soon as it's scanned into USPS' system, I can call and they'll reinstate my upgrade eligibility. I'm going back to the iPhone (5s). That was a very short lived experiment.

    What does this have to do with the article? I'm buying the space gray version ;-) Cheers all.

    I take it you mean the MotoX, or its software, doesn't take good pictures?
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post





    I take it you mean the MotoX, or its software, doesn't take good pictures?

     

     

    All of the above, my friend.  Last night was my first real world test.  Compared my shots side by side with my wife's iphone 4s...not even my previous iPhone 5...and there is no comparison.  I take a lot of pictures of my kids, I am not going to sacrifice the quality for a few features.

  • Reply 6 of 29

    After my white 4S I'm upgrading to a Space Gray 5S as well!

  • Reply 7 of 29
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

     

    After my white 4S I'm upgrading to a Space Gray 5S as well!


     

    I like the Space Grey shade but it seems to contrast too much with the top and bottom plastic bits.  As others have mentioned, perhaps I just need to see it in person.  What won't change is how much I like the name; Space Grey is dumb.

  • Reply 8 of 29
    The camera and dual flash on the 5s are what intrigue me.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

     

     

    I like the Space Grey shade but it seems to contrast too much with the top and bottom plastic bits.  As others have mentioned, perhaps I just need to see it in person.  What won't change is how much I like the name; Space Grey is dumb.


     

    Those "bits" are glass, and the look of the space gray will complement a MacBook Pro more than the Slate model did.

  • Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by iRon man View Post



    It's a shame the black/slate is gone. To me, it was the most discreet - I liked how the slate parts were subtle, and didn't stick out like they do now.



    I guess it's a matter of seeing it in the flesh before I make my final choice - couple of reviews have said it looks a lot classier in person.

     

    Space grey 5s + black Apple 5s case = all round black. 

  • Reply 11 of 29
    Don't like Space Gray as name for color choice, let's call it Dark Matter!
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by murman View Post

     

     

    Space grey 5s + black Apple 5s case = all round black. 


     

     

    That's my planned setup.

  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

     

     

    Those "bits" are glass, and the look of the space gray will complement a MacBook Pro more than the Slate model did.


     

    I hope so. The grey in this just seems a lot darker than the hands on pictures shown for the space grey 5s. I don't want another slightly blue/slightly purple like the old slate iPhone. If it's grey, I'd like it to be Aluminum grey.

  • Reply 14 of 29
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Is it lighter or darker than like the Nano 5 gen graphite?

    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/31394/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

    I will take my Nano to the store and compare at lunch.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

    As none of you will remember or care, I bought the Moto X.

     

    So don't waste your time telling us?

  • Reply 16 of 29
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iRon man View Post



    It's a shame the black/slate is gone. To me, it was the most discreet - I liked how the slate parts were subtle, and didn't stick out like they do now.



    I guess it's a matter of seeing it in the flesh before I make my final choice - couple of reviews have said it looks a lot classier in person.

    The good news is that the "space grey" (though I liked the "dark matter" suggestion above) will reportedly be more scuff/scratch/baby ding resistant than the true black.  Something about the difficulty of the black anodization process -and according to the same source (a commenter on a podcast), the gold is going to be the easiest to add (and maybe most durable) color they've added to the aluminum line to date.

  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    So don't waste your time telling us?


     

    TS...I'm a little disappointed in you. I've never had a cross word with you.

     

    FWIW, my comment was more or less about saying I was wrong about the Moto X and I'm looking forward to the Space Grey iPhone 5S. No need for your vitriol.

  • Reply 18 of 29
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    allenbf wrote: »
    TS...I'm a little disappointed in you. I've never had a cross word with you.

    FWIW, my comment was more or less about saying I was wrong about the Moto X and I'm looking forward to the Space Grey iPhone 5S. No need for your vitriol.

    That's just Tallist Skil being Tallest Skil.
    Pay it no mind.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Originally Posted by allenbf View Post



    FWIW, my comment was more or less about saying I was wrong about the Moto X and I'm looking forward to the Space Grey iPhone 5S. No need for your vitriol.


     

    And my full apologies to you, then; I'm not big on caffeine, so I ought to wait a bit longer before reading posts after waking.

     

    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

    That's just Tallist Skil being Tallest Skil.

    Pay it no mind.


     

    You're just sore that you're utterly wrong about the iPhones.

  • Reply 20 of 29
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

    You're just sore that you're utterly wrong about the iPhones.

    As to what? Everything? :lol:
    Seriously- what?
    I'm getting a 64 gb gold next Friday- hopefully.

    My only critique was that the 5c should have a white face front not black, and the colors themselves weren't the best.
    I have no complaints regarding the 5s.
    What are you tawking about?
Sign In or Register to comment.