Adobe to team with Adonit for smart pen, digital ruler hardware launch in 2014

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Adobe announced on Tuesday that its previously revealed, iPad-compatible smart pen and digital ruler hardware concepts will in fact become a reality thanks to a partnership with Adonit, a firm already established in the realm of art-oriented iPad accessories.

Adobe grabbed a good deal of attention earlier this year when it showed off its first forays into hardware: the Project Mighty smart stylus and the Napoleon digital ruler. At the time, though, the creative software giant was noncommittal as to when ? or even if ? consumers could expect to see those products materialize.

Now, in a blog post, Adobe has confirmed that Project Mighty and Project Napoleon are in fact planned projects. The firm is teaming up with Adonit ? which makes the Jot stylus family ? to bring the two devices to market.

The Project Mighty cloud pen pairs with an iPad and assorted Creative Cloud and Adobe iOS programs, giving users increased functionality over regular smart styli, including the ability to store and transfer documents from the cloud using only the stylus. The Project Napoleon digital ruler allows users to draw an array of shapes and curves with precision. Both devices are slated to ship in the first half of 2014.

Adobe has also hinted at two new software offerings for the iPad: Project Parallel and Project Contour. Project Parallel is billed as a drafting iPad app designed for use with the Project Napoleon hardware, while Project Contour allows users to take a photo of a favorite object or shape with an iPhone and then access it on the iPad to simplify architectural line sketching.

In related news, Adobe also announced that its Creative Cloud paid subscriber base has now passed the one million mark. Adobe also says that there are millions of users who are trying out the service, noting that "despite some controversy around the decision to focus on memberships, customers are joining in great numbers."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Any news about a markup app for InDesign? It'd be great to view an ID document on an iPad, mark it up, and have that markup appear, perhaps as a layer, in that InDesign document.

It'd be even better if multiple reviewers, some far away, could do that mark up.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I will never buy their Creative Cloud nonsense.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I will never buy their Creative Cloud nonsense.

+1

• Reply 4 of 8
    20 years in the design field. Love creative cloud. And cannot wait for this fun little gem to come out. :)
  • Reply 5 of 8
    20 years in the design field. Love creative cloud. And cannot wait for this fun little gem to come out. :)

Both me and my girlfriend loved the concept videos when this was first shown around Adobe Max.

She does counter sketches for customers in her jewelry design business and she has already incorporated the ipad for other things during the consultation process.

I am a designer, and I have a Wacom on my desk. This will be awesome when I'm in a less formal setting.

FWIW, I love CC as well.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    In related news, Adobe also announced that its <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/06/adobe-goes-subscription-only-rebrands-creative-suite-as-creative-cloud">Creative Cloud</a> paid subscriber base has now passed the one million mark. Adobe also says that there are millions of users who are trying out the service, noting that "despite some controversy around the decision to focus on memberships, customers are joining in great numbers."

Adoption seems to be accelerating so far:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/17/adobes-creative-cloud-surpasses-1m-subscribers-but-q3-2013-revenue-falls-to-995-1m/

(spot a familiar face in the comments section - this is point where people forget that it's not about attacking the Cloud model but mourning the lack of a perpetual license, it's not an either/or)

They put out an earnings report here:

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/pdfs/201309/Q313Earnings.pdf

The revenue stream is switching over gradually from product to subscription. In 2012, the ratio of revenue was around 5:1 and now it's about 2.5:1 (lower than 2:1 for the quarter). If the rate continues, then next year, the revenue will split fairly evenly between product sales and subscriptions. Obviously in the unlikely event that it doesn't work out for the long term, it's an overnight shift to perpetual licenses but I suspect that once they have a large enough subscriber base, they will lower prices to encourage membership growth and may even start partnering up with OS vendors to offer subscriptions to home users as BTO options and that lowers the cost for everyone while still growing revenue.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I suspect that once they have a large enough subscriber base, they will lower prices to encourage membership growth and may even start partnering up with OS vendors to offer subscriptions to home users as BTO options and that lowers the cost for everyone while still growing revenue.

I doubt they will ever lower the cost, nevertheless, I feel it is fairly priced now. If you use the tools professionally then you absolutely need the latest and greatest versions. If you only use one or two titles occasionally then you can stick with what you already have because the subscription isn't worth the price for just casual use. It really depends whether you collaborate with others and need compatibility of file formats or not.

Personally, I use Adobe CC all day everyday. These new Projects while interesting, are not something I would need.

• Reply 8 of 8
    I will never rent or subscribe. Period.