Apple releases redesigned iOS 7 for iPhone & iPad with Control Center, AirDrop, iTunes Radio, more

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday released iOS 7, its revamped mobile operating system for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, packing in a plethora of new features such as the quick-access Control Center menu, and iTunes Radio for streaming music.

iOS 7

iOS 7 can now be downloaded from the Software Update section in the Settings application of a compatible iOS device. The new update is compatible with the iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, and iPhone 4; iPad models with Retina displays, iPad mini and iPad 2; as well as the fifth-generation iPod touch.

Along with the release of iOS 7, Apple also made iTunes 11.1 available on Wednesday. The updated suite is required for users to connect their iOS 7 device to a Mac or Windows PC.

In all, iOS 7 packs in more than 200 new features. As described by Apple, they include:
  • Control Center, which gives you quick access to the controls you want in one convenient place with just one swipe from the bottom of your screen.
  • Notification Center, now available from the Lock screen so you can see all your notifications with a simple swipe, and the new Today feature gives you an at-a-glance view of your day with a summary of the important details such as weather, traffic, meetings and events.
  • Improved Multitasking that gives users the ability to switch between their apps in a more visual and intuitive way, and iOS 7 pays attention to which apps you use most and automatically keeps your content up to date in the background.
iOS 7
  • AirDrop, an entirely new way to quickly and easily share content with people nearby.
  • New Camera app filters so you can add real-time photo effects, a square camera option, and you can quickly and easily switch between your four cameras?video, photo, square and panorama?with just a swipe.
  • A redesigned Photos app that introduces Moments, a new way to automatically organize your photos and videos based on time and location.
  • Full-screen browsing with Safari?s new redesigned user interface, the new smart search field helps simplify searching, and there?s a new view for your bookmarks and your Safari tabs.
  • Siri with new male and female voices, Twitter search integration, Wikipedia integration and Bing web searching within the app
  • iTunes Radio, a free Internet radio service featuring over 200 stations and an incredible catalog of music from the iTunes Store, combined with features only iTunes can deliver.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 247
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

27 minutes remaining....

• Reply 2 of 247
    Almost done downloading!!!

[B]Update:[/B] LOL Apparently [I]everyone[/I] is downloading now and Apple's servers are getting hit [B]hard[/B]. Downloading has slowed to a crawl.

[B]Update 2:[/B] "Update Failed!" :( Starting over.

[B]Update 3:[/B] Woohoo! Failed again. LOL Thank god I'm patient.

[B]Final Update:[/B] Downloaded, installed and running.

Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes

Good luck everyone... I'm off to explore!

---------------------

I'm guessing iOS 7 will be the largest OS upgrade in history - what do you think, 100+ million people trying to upgrade right now!? LOL With iOS 7 going as far back as the iPhone 4, that's potentially 550-600 million devices.
  • Reply 3 of 247
    Download started at 5:57 with an estimated time to download of 2 minutes. Now 33% complete and estimated time to download is at 6 minutes. I guess quite a few people suddenly noticed it was available!!
  • Reply 4 of 247

31 minutes :(

• Reply 5 of 247
    Gahhh!!!! 2.9 GB need to be free???? Definitely getting 32GB next time
  • Reply 6 of 247
    Downloading... And Hurray.. I got my second phone on iOS 7!!!

Jokin.. its still downloading :P
  • Reply 7 of 247
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member
    Not out yet ;-)
  • Reply 8 of 247
    My iPad2 see's it as a software update, but iTunes does not ..... downloading now :\

Will upgrade the iPhone5 once the iPad has completed ;)
  • Reply 9 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

27 minutes remaining....

Grrr, 29 minutes

• Reply 10 of 247
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

Grrr, 29 minutes

48 minutes

• Reply 11 of 247
    Quote:

48 minutes

1 hour. Eff my life. 

• Reply 12 of 247

Preparing update ...

• Reply 13 of 247

I have got 74 hrs to downloads, WTF????

• Reply 14 of 247

Downloading now....can't wait to try it out!!

• Reply 15 of 247
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

48 minutes

Don't feel bad- I'm 47 minutes now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

27 minutes remaining....

I want this update so bad, it's like time is going backwards.... literally.  lol

• Reply 16 of 247
    Nice job AI having the article ready to fire when iOS 7 was released.
  • Reply 17 of 247
    I always downloaded from within iTunes.app while cable-connected. But now doing it OTA this is the first time I see the wheels in the Settings icon spinning.

Oh Apple, you think of everything.

iPad: 15 minutes remaining.
    iPhone: 69 hours remaining.
  • Reply 18 of 247

How can I get those ringtones that Apple released as a part of the Gold Master?  I don't seem to have them.

• Reply 19 of 247
    Quote:

I have got 74 hrs to downloads, WTF????

Are you downloading via the mobile network or WiFi?

• Reply 20 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Don't feel bad- I'm 47 minutes now.

I want this update so bad, it's like time is going backwards.... literally.  lol

Damn im on 47 mins too.. This is a global phenomenon i guess :D