Can I restore an iOS 6 iCloud backup once upgraded to 7?

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2014

So I had to delete a metric ton of data from my 16gb Iphone 5 in order to free up 3.1 gb to download, unpack and install iOS 7. I am wondering however if once it's installed I can "recover" the deleted items via an iCloud restore. As far as I can determine, iCloud shouldn't know or care which version you're on since it's primary function is to archive and restore simple data like pictures, apps, etc, nothing on the OS level.  So anyone know if this is a possibility to restore an ios 6 icloud backup to ios 7?  Thanks :)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5

iCloud backups are not your OS. They are your files and settings associated with a specific device.

It’s not an iOS version of Time Machine; that needs to be made clear.

You very probably won’t be able to go back from iOS 7 at all, and if at all, you’ll have to wait a few weeks for someone to figure out how.

• Reply 2 of 5

I gathered he knew that ... I think he was asking if, after installing iOS7, he can then "restore" the phone from his last backup and get all the "stuff" back that he had to delete in order to do the install.

Well... you can certainly do an immediate "Restore" of the phone after installing the new OS, and it SHOULD give you the option after that to restore from a backup (but I'm not sure if it will... it's possible that it won't restore from an iOS6 backup.)

The other thing would be to make sure that all the stuff you want "back" is, in fact, stuff that is backed up to iCloud... 

So I guess, my take on your situation is, that it would certainly work like you want if you were moving from 6.x to 6.y ... but I'm not sure if the iCloud back up from 6.x will work for 7.x.

• Reply 3 of 5

Hmm, yeah, the stuff I want is all in iCloud, as i don't keep things like local media on my phone. Essentially I'd be looking to restore some (or all) of the photos and the apps that I had to delete. 

Is there any way to browse my icloud backup and somehow retrieve files individually?

Alternatively is there a way to download the icloud backup (to itunes or other) to then restore that way?

• Reply 4 of 5

Is there any way to browse my icloud backup and somehow retrieve files individually?

Alternatively is there a way to download the icloud backup (to itunes or other) to then restore that way?

No to both. At least Apple didn't design it to be able to do either. That's not to say some industrious 3rd party developer hasn't come up with a way to do one or both of those. But it would be what is considered a "hack" in the vernacular of the kids. ;). (Technically, that's the wrong term, but it's what they'd use.)
  • Reply 5 of 5

You can try iPhone Data Recovery. I ever used it to retrieve photos from iCloud. Of course, you can retrieve other data, like contacts, texts messages, music, etc. I take recovering photos as an example of steps:

Step 1.Install iPhone Data Recovery and connect your iPhone to your computer.

Step 2.Launch the software. Choose iCloud Backup File and sign in your iCloud Account.

Step 3.After entering your account, you can choose any of them you want to get back and click the "Download" button. Then click the same button to start extracting. 

Step 4.Click "Camera Roll" on the left side of the window, and then preview the record. Choose what you want to recover. You will get back deleted photos after clicking "Recover".