Bob Mansfield and the iPhone 5S chips

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

I'd love to hear thoughts and insights into Bob Mansfield's new role - the transition this summer to special projects under Tim Cook.

To my superficial view, he would have been the person who brought to market the amazing A7 and M7 and perhaps some of the camera tech - all of which give Apple at least a year leg up, on the competition.

So maybe we should take his new role at face value. He wants to continue the great innovations; And wants to be free of burdens of being on the exec team. And maybe he wants to have a clean slate and a totally silo'ed world to play in.

All my wild guesses. Curious to hear what others think - what they know.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Great first post.!
    I think you've pretty much described his current appointment accurately, from what we outsiders can glean.

Yea - I can only agree he would have had an enormous amount of input into what we are seeing from Apple now.
    An unsung hero for sure and there are plenty more of them that we haven't heard about at 1 Infinite Loop.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    robm wrote: »
    An unsung hero for sure and there are plenty more of them that we haven't heard about at 1 Infinite Loop.

There are a number of talented employees there and people tend to focus on the more public figures. One of their software engineers built an ancient astronomical clock out of lego:

[VIDEO]

We can't check that it actually works of course and isn't just spinning around but they definitely have a lot of talented people hidden in there somewhere and people on the outside should always remember that the company has tens of thousands of employees and it's not just Tim and Jony doing everything. We shouldn't necessarily know about them, I'm sure a lot of them would prefer to stay out of the spotlight but people should be aware that Apple is a team effort.
    fred stein wrote:
    To my superficial view, he would have been the person who brought to market the amazing A7 and M7 and perhaps some of the camera tech - all of which give Apple at least a year leg up, on the competition.

Dan Riccio who was to be his successor appears in the marketing videos about the camera and processors. It's not one guy who brings the new technology out, they are just the project leads.