NFC-free Google Wallet debuts on Apple's iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
Google on Thursday released its Wallet transaction service for Apple's iPhone, giving users the ability to transfer money and store loyalty cards on their smartphone.

Wallet

The debut of Google Wallet comes as the search giant has switched it service away from reliance on near-field communications for its services. Previously, Google Wallet was only available on select NFC-capable Android smartphones, and was used for contact-less payment.

Apple has not embraced NFC technology, and instead has turned to Bluetooth Low Energy for short-range secure wireless connectivity. For example, the new AirDrop feature in iOS 7 uses Bluetooth to scan for nearby devices, before automatically switching to Wi-Fi for a faster file transfer.

Google Wallet was updated for devices running Android 2.3 or later earlier this week, granting functionality to all handsets whether or not they feature NFC connectivity. To date, adoption of Google Wallet has been low, partially because of the lack of NFC-capable payment kiosks, but also because U.S. carriers have banned Google's payment service in favor of their own forthcoming offering, dubbed ISIS.

The new Google Wallet for both iOS and all Android devices gives users the ability to transfer money to another user's email address, similar to PayPal. Money transfers through Google Wallet are free, and can also be sent through Gmail.

In addition to credit and debit cards, Google Wallet for iOS also allows users to store loyalty programs. Offers at specific stores can be redeemed through the application.

Google Wallet also has PIN security, 24/7 fraud monitoring, and "Purchase Protection." If a user's iPhone is lost or stolen, the Google Wallet application can be disabled online.

The new application is an 8.6-megabyte download that requires iOS 6.0 or later. It's compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, and is optimized for the 4-inch display on the iPhone 5, 5c and 5s.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    i will definitely add this app to the long list of google apps i don't ever use.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Why I should use this instead of passbook ?
  • Reply 3 of 38
    having an issue downloading it
  • Reply 4 of 38
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

Why I should use this instead of passbook ?

Pretty different use case.  Not sure it's a particularly good one, but there's definitely stuff you can do with Google Wallet that you can't do with Passbook (and vice versa).  It's more like PayPal.

• Reply 5 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    crowley wrote: »
    Pretty different use case.  Not sure it's a particularly good one, but there's definitely stuff you can do with Google Wallet that you can't do with Passbook (and vice versa).  It's more like PayPal.

Seems like a digital Western Union.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

This can compete with Passbook on many levels, but only until Apple adds Touch ID to payment systems. At that moment, Apple will take a huge leap forward, and Googles Wallet won´t be able to follow. That is unless Apple opens the TouchID to developers through SDK. 

If I was Mastercard or VISA, I would be very worried right about now - as two giants are about to crash head-on into their market.

• Reply 7 of 38
    NFC is dead for sure now. Apple was correct in this just as they were about Flash. Amazing
  • Reply 8 of 38
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hydr View Post

This can compete with Passbook on many levels, but only until Apple adds Touch ID to payment systems. At that moment, Apple will take a huge leap forward, and Googles Wallet won´t be able to follow. That is unless Apple opens the TouchID to developers through SDK. 

If I was Mastercard or VISA, I would be very worried right about now - as two giants are about to crash head-on into their market.

How does this make a difference?    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you still have to go through the payment processor to make a payment and it still has to come out of some account?  Even if you don't have the funds transfer from a credit card account, most debit cards are Mastercard or VISA branded and they collect transaction fees, which are actually higher on debits than they are on charges.

It's like all those devices you can attach to your smartphone to accept credit card payments.   All those go through a processor for which you pay fees.   

Unless Google and Apple are going to create their own banks (I actually could see Google wanting to do this), I don't see how this negatively impacts MC or Visa.    The only way to get around MC and VISA (and the others) is to do what PayPal has done, but even PayPal also accepts credit card payments these days.    

What am I missing?
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brabauer View Post

having an issue downloading it

Because that's your 2nd post!

• Reply 10 of 38
    I also just saw that Capital One has pulled out of Isis, the carrier's NFC platform. PayPal is using BLE beacons instead of NFC. Over.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Its a good thing that we here in Canada don't buy anything, use email, have money, credit cards or loyalty programs like in the United States. Whew, dodged this bullet.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

How does this make a difference?    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you still have to go through the payment processor to make a payment and it still has to come out of some account?  Even if you don't have the funds transfer from a credit card account, most debit cards are Mastercard or VISA branded and they collect transaction fees, which are actually higher on debits than they are on charges.

If it's like PayPal, which others seem to be likening it to, then you don't have to have a Visa / Mastercharge. All you need is a bank account. PayPal just negotiates a EBT on your behalf.

• Reply 13 of 38

Why don't the banks just put a scanner in their apps? Then we can just scan with their app or with passbook too. C'mon Chase. 

• Reply 14 of 38
    hydr wrote: »

Why? You're still using your credit card.
  • Reply 15 of 38

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

To date, adoption of Google Wallet has been low, partially because of the lack of NFC-capable payment kiosks, but also because U.S. carriers have banned Google's payment service in favor of their own forthcoming offering, dubbed ISIS.

Peet's Coffee and Teas has had a Google Wallet sticker near their cash registers for years.

I have never seen anybody use Google Wallet to buy anything in any Peet's store.

And I guess I never will, now that there's ISIS.  Good.

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new Google Wallet for both iOS and all Android devices gives users the ability to transfer money to another user's email address, similar to PayPal. Money transfers through Google Wallet are free, and can also be sent through Gmail.

Falling back to an ancient technology that they know everybody uses.  Email.  LOL.

And speaking of PayPal, are they looking into some kind of iWallet app or integration?

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google Wallet also has PIN security, 24/7 fraud monitoring, and "Purchase Protection." If a user's iPhone is lost or stolen, the Google Wallet application can be disabled online.

Google will need to ramp up their fraud monitoring staff.  Tons and tons of malware on Google Play.

Maybe that's the real reasons the carriers are backing their own ISIS payment service.

Because you simply can't trust apps on Google Play.  And because Google doesn't care about malware.

• Reply 16 of 38
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

In almost all cases (in every case I have seen as a merchant), transaction charges for debit cards done with a signature are much lower than credit cards done the same way.  PIN debit transactions are usually even lower.

For a company I am now consulting with, their recent quote for debit signature transactions was .7% lower than the cheapest tier of credit card transactions.   For my own company, the difference is about .5% (due to my business, the rates I have are lower than this company I am consulting with).

The main reason for this is that debit transactions are guaranteed funds, not a loan.

• Reply 17 of 38
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Not really sure I'd want Google to have a record of every purchase/transaction I make.  But that's just me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition to credit and debit cards, Google Wallet for iOS also allows users to store loyalty programs. Offers at specific stores can be redeemed through the application.

Passbook in iOS 7 already has this.  Right down to being able to scan bar codes from my keychain of existing points/reward cards (Best Buy Reward Zone, grocery store "gas points" cards, etc.) that I used to have to carry around.

• Reply 18 of 38
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

PIN debit transactions are usually even lower.

PIN debit transactions give you almost no protection against fraudulent use, correct?  If so, they should be cheaper.

• Reply 19 of 38
    makeintosh wrote: »
    Its a good thing that we here in Canada don't buy anything, use email, have money, credit cards or loyalty programs like in the United States. Whew, dodged this bullet.

hey, when the canucks lost the cup a couple years ago we slipped alanis morissette back under the border as a consolation prize ... don't get greedy.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    But but but ... NFC! C'mon Fandroids, even your employer doesn't think NFC has a future or can't force pioneering companies to accept it.