Autonomous traffic from iOS 7 iPhone 5 ?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

So a quick description of what I mean by autonomous traffic.

I updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 7 late on the 18th, played around with it for a bit and then went to sleep waking up around 8am on the 19th.

It would appear however that my iPhone stopped by a few websites while I was asleep. 

While reviewing my firewall logs today I saw some traffic early on 19th, before I was up. Took a quick look at it and its to some sites I've browsed previously, so I thought nothing much more of it.

Then I reviewed the apache logs from one of my own websites, which shows my IP loading some content, via

"(iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/11A465" at 6:27:03 in the morning. While I was fast asleep.

The webpage wasn't loaded entirely, none of the images are loaded and only the favicon and index.html were loaded.

However, there were also two errors logged as requests from my phone, requests for "apple-touch-icon-precomposed.png" and "apple-touch-icon.png". Neither of which exist on my server, so they 404'ed, but important to note as they were specifically requested by the browser.

Taking a look at my iPhone Safari history I reviewed my various browsings on the 18th and 19th, on neither day does it show a record of browsing to that website.

So, long rambling post to ask a simple question. Anyone have any ideas on the subject ? All I can postulate is that my phone is hitting every site in my bookmarks for its favicon and/or apple-touch-icon on its own. I feel like that could be a considerable number of files if it did it for everything in my bookmarks, as they sync between my iMac, Macbook Pro, iPad and iPhone.