Significant Differences? 10.2.4 on 667MHz and 1GHz Tibooks

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all,

I've lurked for a long while, and I finally need to post myself. I find my wife needing her own TiBook and will consequently be adding to our TiBook family.

Here's the question: can I simply clone (Carbon Copy Cloner, etc., with which I have lots of experience) my 667 DVI hard drive to the new 1GHz DVI? Or are there significant differences between a 10.2.4 install on the two machines (e.g., drivers for the Radeon 9000 versus Radeon 7500) that will make the clone inoperable on the 1GHz machine? With my schedule right now, spending a day installing software and configuring the new machine is not a possibility.

I remember the bad old days when each model had its own enabler overtly displayed in the system folder. I suspect it's the same way these days just in a more covert manner.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

IP

[edit: that's 10.2.4, not 10.1.4.]

[ 03-04-2003: Message edited by: IPGuy ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    It might work but from what I've heard from other people on this site I think that's a bad idea.

[ 03-04-2003: Message edited by: Ti Fighter ]

[ 03-04-2003: Message edited by: Ti Fighter ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 3
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yeah i think it would just be better to copy over your home folder and re-install everything else...

oh and you will be using 10.2.x on the new 1GHz Powerbooks....

[ 03-04-2003: Message edited by: Paul ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 3
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    I cloned my Cube over to my 12" PowerBook using CCC with no problems, but they were both on 10.2.4 anyway (I couldn't be bothered to spend 2 hours installing applications, basically), but I'd be hesitant to downgrade a new TiBook...

It might be possible to do an archive and install using the disk from the new machine to get that up to the same level (a 667 should have no problems with 10.2.x), delete the old system, and then clone the drive. Only an hour's installation (depending on how ruthless you are with the foreign languages) rather than a whole day.