Internet connectivity drops when opening up iTunes (OSX 10.8.5 / iTunes v11.1)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014

Macbook (unibody, 2009)

OSX 10.8.5

iTunes v 11.1

Wireless router: Apple Time Capsule (v 7.6.3)

Here's the scenario (FYI, I've posted this in other forums as well, so, my apologies if this is recycled for some):

Every so often when I open up iTunes on my Macbook, I lose Internet connectivity through my primary wireless network (I use an Apple Time Capsule for wireless). The wifi network doesn't go down, just the connectivity to the external Internet. It's almost as if I lose an IP address or something. Everything that requires internet connectivity ultimately times out. I'm able to switch to the guest network I have setup on the same Time Capsule to reestablish connectivity when this happens, so it does not seem to be an issue with my cable modem or provider. After a certain interval of time, the issue on my primary network goes away and I'm able to regain Internet access.

Again, this happens randomly, but ONLY when I open up iTunes. It's driving me nuts. I cannot figure out why this would happen. Does Time Capsule have a limit on number of active connections? I have an iPhone, an iPad, and an Apple TV that are also connected, though the Apple TV is rarely on/active.

It's random, but consistent in it's randomness.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Balvenie

Comments