Video shows purported space gray 'iPad 5' casing with black front bezel

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
One week after high-quality images of a supposed next-generation space gray iPad casing popped up on the Web, a video highlighting the same part has been uploaded to YouTube.

iPad 5
Source: UnboxTherapy via YouTube.

The video comes from YouTube channel Unbox Therapy, which in September provided an in-depth look at the aluminum shells allegedly bound for Apple's next-generation iPad. Previously, only high-resolution photos of the purported part were available.

Tuesday's video shows a quick comparison of the purported 9.7-inch iPad's rear casing in Apple's new "Space Gray" color, meant to be a replacement for the outgoing "Slate." The hue was first introduced with the iPhone 5s and has subsequently trickled down to other iOS products like the iPod touch and iPod nano.

The space gray iPad shell is largely similar to the silver version shown off last month, the only change major aesthetic change being a black front bezel. Also noticeable is the like-colored ring insert around the rear-facing camera, which on the silver version looks to be polished to a shine or unanodized.

Interestingly, the space gray casing is not fitted with the embedded magnets used to attach Apple's Smart Covers, suggesting the part is a prototype or an early production component. It is also possible that the part may be a copycat, though the complex internal structure and external design is largely similar to previously "leaked" parts.

Apple is expected to announce a fifth-generation iPad in the coming weeks, with some rumors pointing to an Oct. 15 event that may also feature refreshed MacBook models.

The next-gen full-size iPad is also said to sport a revamped design that will bring it more in line with the current iPad mini. Instead of a tapered chassis, the new unit will supposedly feature a largely flat back with curved edges leading to a highly polished chamfer feature running along the screen's bezel, which will be substantially thinner than the fourth-generation iteration.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    The new model will be a big upgrade just because of the form factor, IMHO. The tapered back is just not easy to hold on to. The flat back of the mini is so much better. Hopefully they can shed some weight off the full sized ipad as well. Maybe add in the fingerprint sensor and I can't imagine how they'll improve it beyond that.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

All the Google and Shamsung fans in the comments saying 'who cares'. Why they hang out on Apple videos and blogs, it's so dumb.

• Reply 3 of 14
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Picked up a Nook HD+ a few months ago (I installed Cyanogenmod on it), but sold it recently. It was a decent enough tablet, but the touchscreen lag kept bugging the hell out of me. And as I used it more and more, the app crashes just got on my nerves.

Still don't know if I'm going to get the full-size iPad or the mini. Guess it depends on how gimped the mini is compared to its bigger brother this time around.

• Reply 4 of 14
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

To mini or not to mini? That is the question.

I wonder if the new iPads are likely to be discounted in any potential Black Friday sale? It seems kind of soon for Apple to do that.

Bah! I'm probably better off hocking my current iPad as soon as the new models are announced and just buying one anyway.

• Reply 5 of 14
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Guess it depends on how gimped the mini is compared to its bigger brother this time around.

Changes to the two iPad models:

iPad 5: A7 chip or A7x chip, up to 128 GB RAM, Touch ID sensor, iPad Mini like shell

iPad Mini 2: A6x chip, up to 64 GB RAM, retina display

These are just my guesses, of course.

• Reply 6 of 14
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    This is the only color combination for the iPad 5 I would consider. It's my NeXT legacy showing.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Here we go again.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    And if they add gold to match the 5s lineup, what about the colored plastic version to mirror the 5c lineup? Maybe drop the iPad 2, upgrade it to a retina display with a plastic back to keep its margins as the iPad 2c.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I think the iPad Mini will have an A7X, M7, 802.11 ac, IGZO display and 4GB RAM for 64 bit operations. Option for 128GB storage.

The A7 chip uses less power then the earlier chips because it has a 22mm die. Thinner wafer means less power consumption and heat!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

iPad 5: A7 chip or A7x chip, up to 128 GB RAM, Touch ID sensor, iPad Mini like shell

iPad Mini 2: A6x chip, up to 64 GB RAM, retina display

They can't add a Touch ID sensor without the A7 and there's not much point putting in an A7 in without a retina display.

Maybe they will keep at least one iPad mini without a retina display and drop it to "from $299".

If Apple released an iPad Mini with the specs you quoted at the current price points I can't imagine too many people willing to shell out more for the iPad 5 just for Touch ID. I love my iPad 3, but if I can get the same number of pixels in a more compact form factor I'm sold. Even if I miss out on Touch ID and the keyboard is slightly more awkward to use.

It will be interesting to see how the battery life of the mini is affected by a retina display.

• Reply 11 of 14

There's no need when the product starts at $329.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

And if they add gold to match the 5s lineup, what about the colored plastic version to mirror the 5c lineup?

• Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

They can't add a Touch ID sensor without the A7 and there's not much point putting in an A7 in without a retina display.

Maybe they will keep at least one iPad mini without a retina display and drop it to "from $299".

I think it's safe to say that's very likely to happen in my opinion. And then the Retina iPad mini could be $399, and the large iPad could be $499 starting at 32 GB ?

• Reply 13 of 14
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

And if that’s the case, kiss the iPad 2 goodbye (and riddance, I suppose).

• Reply 14 of 14
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Silver with black bezel please. That's the only one looking really good.