Amazon preparing Apple TV competitor to launch in coming months - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Online retailing giant Amazon is putting the finishing touches on a set-top box that may be on the company's virtual shelves in time for Christmas, according to a new report.

Apple TV

The device, reportedly codenamed "Cinnamon," may be similar in design and functionality to a Roku box, with the ability to run third-party content applications, says the Wall Street Journal. Amazon has been rumored to have the set-top box in development since at least April of this year.

In addition to streaming movies, television shows, and music from Amazon's own services, the Seattle-based company is said to be in negotiations with cable companies and other content providers to provide apps for the set-top box, with the company laying down a mid-October deadline for submissions. Pricing for the rumored device is still unknown.

Amazon may also offer games that run natively on the device, a feature which some have conjectured could make it to the Apple TV and spark a new living room gaming battle. iOS games can currently take advantage of the Apple TV via Apple's Airplay technology, allowing developers to display the main game content on a user's television while using the iOS device as a controller and "second screen" display.

The device, if released, will be entering a crowded field. In addition to market leaders Apple and Roku, Google recently got into the game with their Chromecast device. The $35 HDMI dongle streams YouTube, Google Play Music, and Netflix from both iOS and Android devices, in addition to web video through the Mountain View company's Chrome browser.

Apple is rumored to have a hardware refresh for its "beloved hobby" in the works, which last saw new silicon in March 2012. Cupertino reportedly received three mysterious shipments of "set top boxes" last month, which led to ultimately incorrect rumors that the company would unveil the fourth generation Apple TV at their Sept. 10 iPhone 5s and 5c introduction.

Apple did take the covers off of a software update for Apple TV at the September iPhone launch, releasing Apple TV version 6.0. The update brought iTunes Radio and support for AirPlaying content from iCloud ? like music from iTunes Match ? to another person's Apple TV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

How not-inovative of them.

• Reply 2 of 30
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    This won't stand a chance against Apple TV in the gaming department- not even close. The games nor the hardware will be close to the specs of the ATV (particularly once it gets refreshed).

I normally like Amazon's decisions, but this isn't wise. Now if this can go after Roku or Chromecast- fine. But why would Netflix and others want to team up with Amazon/Amazon Instant Video? Apple and Roku are the only real players here.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Steve's hobby sure is catching on.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    This will be great if I can shop directly on my TV for all my needs- something neither an ATV nor a Roku provides.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    anyone try iRadio yet? Not sure why Apple invested in a dying medium...
  • Reply 6 of 30
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    This will be great if I can shop directly on my TV for all my needs- something neither an ATV nor a Roku provides.
    Who wants to buy stuff off their TV? Didn't Time Warner try something like that in the 90s with their Full Service Network? That sure didn't last long.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    alienzed wrote: »
    Did you mean iTunes Radio?
  • Reply 8 of 30
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Who wants to buy stuff off their TV? Didn't Time Warner try something like that in the 90s with their Full Service Network? That sure didn't last long.

Ask QVC.

or HSN.

• Reply 9 of 30
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

It's not literally a radio station. It's online streaming of music. Are you saying that music itself is dying? 

• Reply 10 of 30
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    NO news here

Not another remote:!

Until the cable TV box monopoly can be broken open , all anyone can do is keep re-iterating the same old pattern of producing yet another single point / ecosystem box which streams/downloads marginal boring re-runs and maybe some first run TV like netflix or Amazon has with a few shows.

Steve cracked it open, but Apple can't deliver on his solution until Apple gets enough agreements in place with content providers at reasonable pricing to fully provide that all in one concept. So until then you are still going to have lots of crappy legacy remotes on your coffee table.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Yes... its simply too hard for me to spend money using computer, iPhone and iPad. I need to be able to by stupid crap while watching TV as well.

• Reply 12 of 30
    alienzed wrote: »

Yep the wife and I use it all the time. At the pool, at the gym using iPhones, and background music via Apple TV / Hi Fi system for parties etc.. It's brilliant.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    gqb wrote: »
    Yes... its simply too hard for me to spend money using computer, iPhone and iPad. I need to be able to by stupid crap while watching TV as well.

I can see it being popular with those folks that are glued to the shopping channel in between day time soaps… :D
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

why of why does everyone copy Apple

because it's obvious, once apple does it.

No really... I've seen this coming for 2 years now.  Apple is staking its space for delivery of online content...   AppleIDs are worth the same as AmazonPrime accounts.   This was obvious the moment the iPhone appears as a 'Point of Purchase, ' eliminating the Mac iTunes app as the 'shopping app'    Amazon knew this at that time.   The kindle wasn't in response to the iPad, but to protect their first level product (books) from being more easily bought on Apple devices, than theirs.

I've never thought Samsung was the competition, nor was Android by Google the competition.  The competition is for people with wallets that have online cashflow, not handsets, or tablets.

Hence the reason why TouchID makes so much sense, not so much for buying apple's wares, but for Apple selling the access (inapp purchases, or even a backend SDK for major sites for doing 3 way auth) to App Developers.   [let alone passbook, which the killer app is that passbook can be tied to a CC, minimally your AppleID pw].  You greatly reduce fraud loss, and at the same time decrease the friction in purchase (no entering a no entering a password, CC#, CVV, exp date... just touchID and money flows).

With Apple getting into TV in a big way... as a content delivery solution, amazon realizes that the big purchases will be done in front of a 50" screen (think of this use case... on your Apple TV, a 'shopping' channel by, say, Target...  large screen views of products, reviews, etc.  just like on big browser, but you just click on what you want, and then click "Buy"... TouchID, and then boom, next day ship from the nearest Target warehouse. and no credit card or password ever goes over the internet, nor does a password get entered... just a finger press).

Family shopping... don't have to haul 3 kids in the car for school supplies... just get them infront of the TV and ask' is this the shirt you want'? and click buy.  and when all done, then go back to your regularly downloaded  iTunes TV show.

Apple and Amazon are the real titans girding for battle.   Google is still looking at eyeballs... Apple and Amazon... deathmatch for the wallet

• Reply 15 of 30
    dilliodillio Posts: 106member
    Don't worry, guys. Since Apple does not make plays for market share, there will be plenty left for Amazon also. Right? That's what Apple likes to say, it wants the profitable niche. The truth is, Amazon will take Android apps and games adapted for the TV form factor and will supplement the rest of their streaming content. Makes sense to me.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Ask QVC.

or HSN.

and think of QVC and/or HSN with 'an App for that.'  Not even having to dial the phone... or entering a CC... just click on your AppleRemote, press buy.   enter TouchID finger.  shipping.

Frictionless buying.   One Click Purchase was Amazon's 'TouchID' moment. The don't want to be bypassed by Apple

• Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

This won't stand a chance against Apple TV in the gaming department- not even close. The games nor the hardware will be close to the specs of the ATV (particularly once it gets refreshed).

I normally like Amazon's decisions, but this isn't wise. Now if this can go after Roku or Chromecast- fine. But why would Netflix and others want to team up with Amazon/Amazon Instant Video? Apple and Roku are the only real players here.

I second this.

• Reply 18 of 30
    I suppose this new hardware will be another reason for Amazon investors to pump the stock up even higher. They always get stoked when they hear Amazon is going after Apple. I don't get it. Why would investors be happy about Amazon going after AppleTV and Roku which are firmly established streaming solutions. It's like every holiday season Amazon comes out with some product to confound Apple product sales and they always get away with it. Apple needs to devise some strategy that would trip up Jeff Bezos' holiday hardware gamble.

Everything Amazon does boosts it's share price. Everything Apple does causes its share price to take a tumble. Apple needs to figure a way to outsmart Amazon and get investors on Apple's side. If Apple lets Amazon steal its thunder with a superior streaming box solution then Tim Cook needs to step down from the CEO post. It would be a major embarrassment. The Kindle Fire HDX is bad enough for Apple since Timmy might not even be able to deliver a Retina iPad Mini to compete this holiday. Jeeeeez.
  • Reply 19 of 30

Curious if the UI will look like a Kindle Fire, an Amazonian flavor of Android. The original Kindle Fire didn't play well with videos not purchased from Amazon; the video UI seemed like an afterthought.

• Reply 20 of 30
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I suppose this new hardware will be another reason for Amazon investors to pump the stock up even higher. They always get stoked when they hear Amazon is going after Apple. I don't get it. Why would investors be happy about Amazon going after AppleTV and Roku which are firmly established streaming solutions. It's like every holiday season Amazon comes out with some product to confound Apple product sales and they always get away with it. Apple needs to devise some strategy that would trip up Jeff Bezos' holiday hardware gamble.

Everything Amazon does boosts it's share price. Everything Apple does causes its share price to take a tumble. Apple needs to figure a way to outsmart Amazon and get investors on Apple's side. If Apple lets Amazon steal its thunder with a superior streaming box solution then Tim Cook needs to step down from the CEO post. It would be a major embarrassment. The Kindle Fire HDX is bad enough for Apple since Timmy might not even be able to deliver a Retina iPad Mini to compete this holiday. Jeeeeez.

I just had to share this picture.