A look at cover and case options for protecting the iPhone 5c

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With its steel-backed, polycarbonate chassis, Apple's new iPhone 5c will likely stand up to a good deal of stress, but that's no reason to take chances, so AppleInsider has taken a look at what cases are on the market to let you wrap your colorful new iPhone in something that will protect that luster.

iSkin's exo and flex cases

First up is iSkin, a premium accessory brand producing iPhone covers, gadget bags, and more. For the iPhone 5c, iSkin has two new cases on offer for the iPhone 5c, the exo and the flex.

The exo for iPhone 5c is a more protective case, composed of BPA-free, lead-free, phthalates-free thermopolymer. It sports a design both rugged and understated, with impact ridges meant to absorb shocks should a user drop the 5c. It also has a screen edge bumper to keep the device's display from cracking should it be dropped. The whole case is washable, and it of course is designed to allow access to all of the iPhone 5c's ports and controls.

The exo is available in Galaxy Black and in translucent Ice Frost. iSkin sells the case for $30 in its online store.

iSkin also offers the flex for iPhone 5c. Composed of a shock-absorbing thermoplastic with a hard, clear-coated back, the flex is available in three looks. The first is a patterned surface that gives the case a three-dimensional look when paired with the colorful casing of an iPhone 5c. It is also available in an opaque Black Diamond edition, patterned with glossy and matte accents in a checkered fashion. For the more simplicity-oriented, the flex is also available without a pattern, giving users a smooth, translucent finish that protects the 5c while giving a clear view of the device.

The flex is also available at iSkin's online store. It comes with four pattern options: Carbon Fiber, Black Diamonds, Hearts, and Clear. iSkin sells the case for $25.

TwelveSouth's SurfacePad for iPhone

TwelveSouth bills itself not only as not just Mac friendly, but Mac only. The firm supplies accessories for Macs, iPads, iPods, and iPhones, most with a minimalist aesthetic that compliments the design language of Apple's products. TwelveSouth's SurfacePad continues in that tradition, giving the iPhone 5c an ultra-slim luxury leather cover. The cover is billed as an iPhone 5/5s accessory, but TwelveSouth notes it is also compatible with the iPhone 5c.

The SurfacePad isn't built to protect an iPhone from steep falls. Rather, TwelveSouth designed the cover to protect the 5c from more common dangers like keys in a pocket. It is composed of napa-leather, and it has a built-in stand to allow for hands-free use. The SurfacePad is less than one-tenth of an inch thick and it weighs less than one ounce. The cover adheres to the iPhone 5c, but it is easily removable when necessary, leaving no residue behind.

The SurfacePad for iPhone retails for $35. It is available in Red Pop, Modern White, and Jet Black.

Obliq's SkyLine Pro

Obliq's SkyLine Pro line pairs a tough outer shell with a range of colors suited to complement Apple's vibrant iPhone 5c offerings. The SkyLine cases cover the 5c's curves in a more angular design, with its polycarbonate hard shell balanced out by a soft, impact-absorbing layer inside.

At three ounces, the SkyLine Pro won't add too much weight to the 5c, and its semi-glossy coating makes for a comfortable grip. The case also has a a cutout in the back that, when a card is inserted, allows it to hold the iPhone upright for viewing.

The SkyLine Pro is also a low-cost option, retailing for just $15. It is available in black, pink, white, emerald blue, gunmetal, metallic navy, orange, blue, yellow, lime green, mint, and gold.

Case-Mate's Studio Print cases

If the iPhone 5c's spectrum isn't quite wild enough for you, there's always the option of Case-Mate's Studio Prints line. These ultra-slim cases feature a range of patterns that add an even more colorful flare to Apple's colorful phones.

The Studio Print line puts a lay-flat bezel all around the display of the iPhone 5c. That bezel keeps the screen from directly contacting any surface when the device is laid face-down, helping to prevent scratches and scuffs. It weighs 0.64 ounces, and it is built to provide access to all of the 5c's ports and controls.

The Studio Prints line comes in Ziggy Zag and Painted Cheetah. The cases retail for $25.

Hard Candy Cases' HarvestCraft Slider

Hard Candy makes an array of cases and covers designed to protect Apple products, from MacBooks to iPads to iPhones. Their HarvestCraft Slider case is in the same vein, with a lightweight polycarbonate shell that is still rigid enough to protect an iPhone. That tough exterior is soft to the touch, though, and the inside of the case has rubber slide strips to help it better fit and protect the 5c.

As its name implies, the HarvestCraft Slider has a sliding component that allows one to get the 5c in and out of the case. The accessory is composed of two parts: the top slider component and the bottom slider component. Hard Candy sends along three bottom components in each order, each of those in a different color to allow users to switch up the look of their devices when they want.

The HarvestCraft Slider is available from Hard Candy's site. The case comes in nine color variants, each a somewhat subdued autumn tone. It retails for $40.

Tylt's Band and Ruggd protective cases

Tylt has released two new protective cases for the iPhone 5c, the Band and the Ruggd. The two cases are aimed at protecting an iPhone while still keeping it stylish, and they feature a range of neon color highlights to catch the eye.

The Tylt Band features a double-injection of soft TPE and matte polycarbonate, giving it a flexible and absorbent inner liner. That liner protects the 5c from scratches and mars on the inside, and the polycarbonate outer shell is impact-resistant enough to protect the device should it fall. It also features a raised edge, protecting the screen from scratches on flat surfaces. The Tylt Band is available in pink, lime green, and blue for $35.

The Tylt Ruggd is the more shock-resistant of the two cases, with a triple-reinforced shell consisting of a hard outer shell, premium energy-absorbing inner layer, reinforced corners, and raised edges to protect the display. The Tylt Ruggd is available for $35 as well on Tylt's web site.

Incipio's DualPro Shine

The DualPro Shine iPhone 5c case from Incipio appears to cut against the vibrant colors of the 5c with its understated outer shell. The case, though, will give the 5c a sleek and minimalist profile, with just a bit of color peeking through around the camera lens and flash.

Weighing in at 3.2 ounces, the DualPro Shine has a hybrid design combining a plextonium hard shell and a shock absorbing silicone core. Its brushed aluminum finish allows for easy insertion and removal from pockets. Incipio's DualPro Shine models range in price from $24 to $41. The case comes in Silver/Black, Black/Black, White/Neon, and Gold/Gray.

Apple's own offerings

Of course, one could always stick with the home team in choosing a case, in which case Apple's own offerings might prove quite satisfactory. AppleInsider went hands-on with Apple's colorful iPhone 5c cases after the unveiling of the new iPhones, finding them to be high quality accessories typical of the Cupertino company.

Apple's 5c cases have a quirky, polka-dottish design, with circular cutouts showing the colors of the iPhones they protect. The exterior has a rubberized matte finish, contrasting with the shiny look of the 5c. The interior of the case has a soft, felt-like microfiber lining, keeping the chassis of the 5c safe from scratches.

Apple's in-house iPhone 5c cases come in six colors: black, white, red, yellow, blue, and green. They're available for $29 from Apple's site.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23

I rather like Apple's 5c cases.

The contrasting muted case colors accentuate the glossy polycarbonate back. 

• Reply 2 of 23
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    Why would you market yourself as Mac-only when you cater to various Apple products?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Cases for the 5c defeat the whole point of 5 different colored phones to choose from. Which is why the multi-colored backs just seem like a really pointless marketing gimmick.

I can't wait to see reports about which colors are the weakest sellers. How many people are going to see the 5c and try to buy the green one, only to find it's sold out. Will they then walk away and go somewhere else, buy their second favorite color, or buy something else, perhaps an Android in the color they originally wanted.
  • Reply 4 of 23

For those who’ve yet to feel a 5C, go feel one. It feels like something you should be licking. I want to rub one on my face. 

There’s plastic, and then there’s plastic. And then there’s whatever this delicious magic is.

• Reply 5 of 23
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    For those who’ve yet to feel a 5C, go feel one. It feels like something you should be licking. I want to rub one on my face. 

There’s plastic, and then there’s plastic. And then there’s whatever this delicious magic is.

Case in point ??
  • Reply 6 of 23
    glubengluben Posts: 21member
    I actually prefer the look and feel of the 5c to the 5s, which has the better functionality.

My hope is that next year, there will be one model (the 6) which incorporates elements of both, making the 5c and 5s the discounted options.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

I have had an entirely clear case for an older iPod - providing some protection from external damage while not obstructing the design in any way. Not sure that I have seen many similar examples lately - and keep in mind that for most case makers I would think their goal is to make the device look entirely different and or promote themselves. Where many online reports take the view of does this enhance or detract from the stock look and feel of the device, I suspect that the case makers are for the most part treating the device as a blank slate. The other category is battery cases which provide enhanced functionality. 

• Reply 8 of 23

Agreed - just bought a 5c for my wife and it's exquisite - much better feel than my iPhone 5. However, there's zero give in the material, and if this baby drops you've more chance of getting a broken phone than with the iPhone 5 or 5s.

Why no mention of the I-blason cases - they're incredibly popular and I'm about to order one from Amazon .
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

For those who’ve yet to feel a 5C, go feel one

I don't disagree with you at all ... however, what is the point if people are going to put a case on it anyway.

It seems to me Apple should have built a phone that is DESIGNED to be used with a case. It comes in one color -- white. Then the case, designed out of similar material to achieve the exact same look and feel of the raw model, slips on as if there were no case. These can be in more than 5 colors. A color doesn't sell, discontinue it and replace it without impacting the hardware itself. Apple ends up making more money by selling a 5 pack for those who like changing it up from time to time. 

Otherwise, I don't get it at all. Why invest in a plastic model that doesn't feel like other plastic phones, cut into the profit margin by offering it in 5 colors, cases and marketing for it, when 90% of the users are going to cover it with an inferior case anyway? (OK, I pulled that figure out of my buttass, but you get the picture -- most users protect their phones in a case that does little to enhance Apple's design and finish). 

• Reply 10 of 23
    wubbuswubbus Posts: 70member
    TheApple case for the 5c doesn't look right...being able to partially see the writing "iPhone" on the back doesn't look very clean to me.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

It seems to me Apple should have built a phone that is DESIGNED to be used with a case. It comes in one color -- white. Then the case, designed out of similar material to achieve the exact same look and feel of the raw model, slips on as if there were no case.

Sounds stupid. What’s the point of the interior case, then? May as well make it the exterior case.

• Reply 12 of 23
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gregquinn wrote: »
    Why no mention of the I-blason cases - they're incredibly popular and I'm about to order one from Amazon .

I prefer some of the extended battery cases. If I don't get to charge my phone at the end of the day, I'm good for a second day - or if I end up using it extremely heavily one day, it still lasts all day.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Sounds stupid. What’s the point of the interior case, then? May as well make it the exterior case.
    That's more stupid than making a phone in multiple colors that won't be seen because it's intended to be used with a case to protect it because one accidental drop could break it? I'm sorry, but the fact that Apple, who didn't even offer a dock for the 5c, goes out of their way to design an external case for a phone that's being marketed for the way its raw case back looks, is stupid.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

intended to be used with a case

Not… really, no. No iPhone has.

I’m sorry, but the fact that Apple, who didn’t even offer a dock for the 5c…

Please. Please.

…goes out of their way to design an external case for a phone that’s being marketed for the way its raw case back looks…

Maybe that’s because it’s meant to be used as-is, huh.

• Reply 15 of 23

Not… really, no. No iPhone has.

Please. Please.

Maybe that’s because it’s meant to be used as-is, huh.

Well I think the iPhone 4 was intended to be used with a case, which is why Apple sold the bumper, but then that was because of a known antenna problem which they later corrected. I got a free one from Apple, precisely because it was so necessary to solve that problem.

The presence of a case produced by Apple is suspicious. Yes they did release a 5c dock, and a 5s dock which is also compatible with the iPhone 5 which did NOT have a dock for its release and entire production run (which is what I meant) For them to go out of their way to produce a case directly competing with third parties suggests they recognize a case is a significant aftermarket accessory. Otherwise why get into a market that doesn't sell well? Regardless, if Apple intended the 5c to be used without a case, they would not offer one, and leave that option to third parties. Why would Apple intentionally contribute the subverting their own intentions?
  • Reply 16 of 23

Well I think the iPhone 4 was intended to be used with a case, which is why Apple sold the bumper, but then that was because of a known antenna problem which they later corrected. I got a free one from Apple, precisely because it was so necessary to solve that problem.

Here we go again! No.

The presence of a case produced by Apple is suspicious.

No, they’ve made cases for every iDevice they sell.

…(which is what I meant)…

Then you should have said it instead of what you did say.

Regardless, if Apple intended the 5c to be used without a case, they would not offer one…

Again, absolutely ludicrous nonsense based on nothing rational whatsoever.

“If Apple intended the iMac to be used without a Thunderbolt cable just dangling from the back of it not plugged into anything, they would not offer one.”

• Reply 17 of 23
    No, they’ve made cases for every iDevice they sell.
    Really? I don't recall an Apple branded case for the original iPhone, the 3G, 3GS, or 5. I think they may have even discontinued the bumpers with the 4S, not entirely sure about that one though.
  • Reply 18 of 23

Really? I don't recall an Apple branded case for the original iPhone, the 3G, 3GS, or 5.

Tanj, mea culpa. I was thinking of the iPod case.

At any rate, the 5C case is meant to be as used as the iPod socks. Made because it’s fun; made because the colors can compliment; not a design requirement.

Any iPhone, in any case, is going to break on dropping. Just don’t drop it.

• Reply 19 of 23
    The real reason for the 5c is to have a product that is slightly inferior to the 5s. Then the average customer will choose the 5s over the 5c, and apple gets better sales on a higher margin product.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    I like the Otterbox Defender the best, protect against everything. And I found it for only $20 at http://sturdy-case.myshopify.com