Disk Utility and FSCK not working correctly...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
[quote] 2003-03-05 19:28:42 -0500 - Repair of privileges has started

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/hfs.fs/hfs.util. New permissions are 33261

Permissions differ on ./usr/share/man/man3/DB.3, should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -r--r--r--

Owner and group corrected on ./usr/share/man/man3/DB.3

Permissions corrected on ./usr/share/man/man3/DB.3

Permissions differ on ./usr/share/man/man3/db.3, should be -r--r--r-- , they are -rw-r--r--

Owner and group corrected on ./usr/share/man/man3/db.3

Permissions corrected on ./usr/share/man/man3/db.3

Permissions differ on ./usr/share/man/man3/DB.3, should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -r--r--r--

Owner and group corrected on ./usr/share/man/man3/DB.3

Permissions corrected on ./usr/share/man/man3/DB.3

Permissions differ on ./usr/share/man/man3/db.3, should be -r--r--r-- , they are -rw-r--r--

Owner and group corrected on ./usr/share/man/man3/db.3

Permissions corrected on ./usr/share/man/man3/db.3

2003-03-05 19:48:21 -0500 - The privileges have been repaired on the selected volume. <hr></blockquote>

ok I have been pretty good about repairing my permissions and do it close to weekly... but this problem ALWAYS seems to be "fixed" I just ran it 3 times in a row and each time it was fixed....

what is going on here... why are the permissions wrong all the time with these files?

Also I have a recurring problem when I run FSCK

no matter what I do it CANNOT seem to fix a group of files even though each time it runs it seems to finish and it says "file system was modified" i can run it 5 times in a row and still have the same message come up...

what is going on here?

i am trying to <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=002041"; target="_blank">do this</a> but I dont want to turn it on if I am having problems...

anyone out there have any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Same on my machine.

If I understand it right, HFS is not case-sensitive but case-respecting, which means that a directory /usr/share/man/man3/ cannot contain both DB.3 and db.3. UNIX guts of MacOS X, on the contrary, are case-sensitive and expect that DB.3 and db.3 are different files in the same directory. That's why Disk Utility first changes the permissions to -r--r--r-- and then back to -rw-r--r--. In fact, there should indeed be 2 files: DB.3(-rw-r--r--) and db.3(-r--r--r--). Just HFS cannot do it.

Yes, it is a bug and it has survived several system updates. Ignore it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    how do you do FSCK? and what does it do i forget

[ 03-12-2003: Message edited by: burningwheel ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    "fsck" checks (fixes) the file system (file system check)

you have to be in single user mode in order for this to work...

now this can get a little tricky...

restart your computer and hold down apple-s this will bring up a bunch of text... wait for this to load

then type:

[code] /sbin/fsck -y </pre><hr></blockquote>

(it will be a few lines up so you don't have to memorize it) and just like disk utility it will run through and check the filesystem, only it will be much more complete

after you run it if it says "File system was modified" type the command over again

if it says that the process was completed then type [code] reboot </pre><hr></blockquote>

and your mac should start up normally

i try and do this about once a week, but you can get away with doing it after every OS update and major software installation (and if you are having any trouble with your computer this should be the second step after repairing permissions with disk utility...)

hope it makes sense... you kinda just have to do it to see
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I'm having some fsck -y wierdness. I've noticed that sometimes when i put my Dual 533 (running 10.2.4) to sleep after a few seconds it wakes itself back up with no mouse cursor and i can't force quit the finder. Restart into single user mode,when i run fsck -y I get the following;

Checking catalog file

Missingg thread record ( id= 504731)

Checking catalog hierachy,

invalid volume file count

(it should be 163201 instead of 163202)

checking volume information

invalid volume file count

(it should be 163202 instead of 163201)

it then repairs the volume and proclaims that the file system was modified, BUT exactly the same faults and numbers reccur. I have noticed the circular-ness of the invalid file count- one has to be wrong. Any ideas?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yeaH THis is also happening to me... it is hard to document the text in Single user mode tho
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Where have all the geniuses gone? Disk Utility won't touch my recurrent problem. Help.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    sorry, I have no Idea. I'm not messing with SUM. :o :cool: