iMac sending data at 40 gig per second round the clock;

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

Hi, 

I wonder if anybody could help me out here; it might be the biggest mystery since even Apple warranty people couldn't say what was going on; my brand new imac, the biggest screen, the fastest processor keeps sending data at average 40 gig per second round the clock, non stop, no break; as a consequence household network slowed down to prehistoric levels and we're running out of the allowable downloads way too fast. The only external software that had been downloaded is the imac to studio speakers interface from Avid with pro tools software. So far this is the main suspect but that's all I know; I'm not an expert in this field so I expect to plug this stuff in and turn it on and use it without hiccups but obviously this is not the case. 

Has anybody heard about a problem like this; 

Very grateful for any suggestions in advance; 

cheers, 

connonballvinyl 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3

maybe your computer is sending its first back-up(which can be a huge task) to an outside server? 

• Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    my brand new imac keeps sending data at average 40 gig per second round the clock, non stop, no break; as a consequence household network slowed down to prehistoric levels and we're running out of the allowable downloads way too fast

I assume you mean 40 Megabits/s. It's not possible to send 40 gig/s as you only have 1-Gigabit/s ethernet. If you have Time Machine and a NAS drive, that would show up as network data but won't use any data allowance as it's internal.
  • Reply 3 of 3

I'm having the same issue with my new imac. I keep sending data and maxing out my internet as well. No solutions yet. Keep me posted.