Safari freezes up in iPad with IOS 7 update.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

I updated my iPad 5 with IOS 7 and have had nothing but problems using Safari. It's frozen when it comes up. You tap on something or try to scroll and the delay is sometime 20 seconds or more. I brought it to an Apple store and the re-installed the operating system after doing a diagnostics on it. The problem still exists. Anyone with the same problem or even better with a solution.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 5
    brian09223 wrote: »
    I updated my iPad 5 with IOS 7 and have had nothing but problems using Safari. It's frozen when it comes up. You tap on something or try to scroll and the delay is sometime 20 seconds or more. I brought it to an Apple store and the re-installed the operating system after doing a diagnostics on it. The problem still exists. Anyone with the same problem or even better with a solution.

    Sorry, no solution. I have read that people see their tabs crash. Me, running 7 on a 3, see Safari tabs being often, but not always, needing to reload. No tabs crashing however. It's a 64GB cellular, although I can't see why that would make any difference.

    Looks like we're not the only ones:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/23363993#23363993

    Some say this will help:
    iOS7 adds "background app refresh." Go to settings to turn this off. It will also save on battery life and processor speed.

    Other say resetting network settings help, though I didn't do that as this will delete all WiFi passwords

    Perhaps doing nothing is best and wait till Apple releases an update which might address this issue.
  • Reply 2 of 5

    I solved the problem. I brought my iPad back to Apple and they gave me a new one. The person I dealt with said he wouldn't download IO7 until he knows all the bugs have been worked out. The one I got has IOS 6 which I plan on staying with until I know IO7 is fixed.

  • Reply 3 of 5
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,438member
    brian09223 wrote: »
    I solved the problem. I brought my iPad back to Apple and they gave me a new one. The person I dealt with said he wouldn't download IO7 until he knows all the bugs have been worked out. The one I got has IOS 6 which I plan on staying with until I know IO7 is fixed.

    Really? A software issue is being resolved by a HW swap from Apple? Wow, that's more than...nice. Was it the latest iPad, 4, which was replaced? Replaced with a 4? Or a 3 for a 3? Was it a new one you got or 'new for you' but a refurbished one on itself? If they give us a 4 for a 3 I'll hop over to my Store right now. I used to see tabs being reloaded since I upgraded, but as of yesterday I've had several Safari crashes. Even after I closed all apps save for email and a reboot so be on the safe side.
  • Reply 4 of 5

    I have the latest iPad which is 9 months old with Apple Care.

      I don't know if that has anything to do with it but they didn't hesitate after they did a quick check on it. I didn't question the replacement, I took it and ran.They gave me the same one with the same amount of gigs. I have never had any problem with Apple Customer Service, in fact it's some of the best I have ever experienced. If your still having problems I would take it to an Apple Store Genius Bar and see what they can do for you. It's worth a try. I'm sure you know the re-designed iPads are due to come out around the 22nd of October. If they didn't fix it I was going to wait and buy on of the new ones, 

  • Reply 5 of 5
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,438member
    brian09223 wrote: »
    I have the latest iPad which is 9 months old with Apple Care.
      I don't know if that has anything to do with it but they didn't hesitate after they did a quick check on it. I didn't question the replacement, I took it and ran.They gave me the same one with the same amount of gigs. I have never had any problem with Apple Customer Service, in fact it's some of the best I have ever experienced. If your still having problems I would take it to an Apple Store Genius Bar and see what they can do for you. It's worth a try. I'm sure you know the re-designed iPads are due to come out around the 22nd of October. If they didn't fix it I was going to wait and buy on of the new ones, 

    Ah, AppleCare, yeah that is indeed great. Last month I got a brand new iPhone 5 because I complaint that the sleep/wake button wan't always working. No AC, just one more month in warranty. I thought they would simply clean the button, but no, brand new 64GB, completely new. Sells for around €600 over here.

    My iPad is a 3, so I don't think I'll be that lucky. Maybe I should take it in, after they've released a new model, might have a better chance then.
Sign In or Register to comment.