can I change screen names in iChat?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My son would like to be able to use a different screen name in iChat than his .mac address. Is that possible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yes

iChat(menu)--->preferences--->screen name (need to be signed off) you can use any one you want

hth

-Paul
  • Reply 2 of 11
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Yes, but not quite. Changing this screen name is the same as changing the account. What we want to do is log in to iChat using his .Mac email address then set a screen name that will appear that is different from his email account.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by neutrino23:

<strong>Yes, but not quite. Changing this screen name is the same as changing the account. What we want to do is log in to iChat using his .Mac email address then set a screen name that will appear that is different from his email account.</strong><hr></blockquote>

you lost me.... if you dont want his .mac account to be on AIM, then dont use it for iChat....

what is the advantage of having the .mac in the account settings and not using the .mac name for AIM.... that is the only use for iChat anyway... :confused:

please explain
  • Reply 4 of 11
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    What he wants to do is log into the AIM network with iChat using his .Mac account. But he wants iChat to advertise his screenname as something else. For example, on iChat with my .Mac account I am advertised as [email protected], but I may want iChat to advertise me by my first name, Josh.

In affect when I joined an AIM group chat instead of people seeing me as [email protected], they would see Josh instead, although I would still be logged in using my .Mac account.

As far as I know there is no way to do this right now. I believe that other applications like Fire can accomplish this, but I can't say for sure. Hopefully this is one of the many things that will be included in the next version of iChat. We can only hope.

You might want to send some feedback to Apple at

<a href="http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback"; target="_blank">www.apple.com/macosx/feedback</a>
  • Reply 5 of 11
    You got it exactly right. My 12 year old son's .mac email address is fairly bland. But when he chats with his friends he wants to go by the handle ScreamingGuts or some such appellation.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    why doesnt he just create a new screen name :confused: its free...

he doesn't HAVE to use his .mac name...
  • Reply 7 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>why doesnt he just create a new screen name :confused: its free...

he doesn't HAVE to use his .mac name...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe we are missing something but it seems that you do have to use either your .mac address or an AIM name. If we change the screen name to something else it then asks for a password. If we use the .mac password it says it can't log in.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    <a href="http://aim.aol.com/aimnew/Aim/register.adp?pageset=Aim&client=no"; target="_blank">Click here</a>

that will get you started

make the new screen name, wait for the email confirmation and then sign on with iChat

YOU DO NOT NEED TO DOWNLOAD AIM

the reason this is so complicated is because A) apple wants to push .Mac and B) AOL probably didn't want apple to make it possible to make a new AIM name w/o jumping through some hoops so they get some ad revenue...

[ 03-10-2003: Message edited by: Paul ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 11
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by neutrino23:

<strong>My son would like to be able to use a different screen name in iChat than his .mac address. Is that possible?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not that I know of. The best thing for your son to do is to use something like Proteus or Fire, both of which will allow him to change his screen name.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 10 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong><a href="http://aim.aol.com/aimnew/Aim/register.adp?pageset=Aim&client=no"; target="_blank">Click here</a>

that will get you started

make the new screen name, wait for the email confirmation and then sign on with iChat

YOU DO NOT NEED TO DOWNLOAD AIM

the reason this is so complicated is because A) apple wants to push .Mac and B) AOL probably didn't want apple to make it possible to make a new AIM name w/o jumping through some hoops so they get some ad revenue...

[ 03-10-2003: Message edited by: Paul ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is the solution. We made a new AIM screen name and now he is happy. My wife and I only use iChat on occasion we weren't very familiar with it.

I have to say iChat was really useful during my last overseas trip. It was the easiest way to transfer a large file (about 40MB).
  • Reply 11 of 11
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    I think that if he is talking to people on his aol account and yet his .mac says his name, it should show his actual aim screenname instead of his .mac name. That funcion only works I hear with other .mac users, not aol people. So Screamingguts should show up on the other computer, regardless of what his textbox is saying. But I could be mistaken.