Apple seeds OS X 10.9 Mavericks Server GM to developers ahead of Oct. 22 special event

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Friday released the Golden Master version of its upcoming OS X 10.9 Mavericks Server to developers, signaling that work on the forthcoming software has been completed.

Mavericks Server GM

Friday's seed, dubbed build 13S440, comes a little over two weeks after Apple issued the final version of OS X 10.9 Mavericks to developers at the beginning of October.

With both the consumer and server versions of the next-generation Mac operating system seeded, it is anticipated that Apple will soon release Mavericks to the public. While no official release date has been set, the OS is anticipated to be announced at an upcoming special event scheduled for next week.

Apple on Tuesday sent out invitations for its special media event, at which many expect the company to unveil a fifth-generation iPad and second-generation iPad mini. AppleInsider will be at the event offering live coverage from 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    A tidal wave of downloads to follow mavericks launch lol
  • Reply 2 of 39
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member

I wonder if the Safari scrolling bug has been fixed yet. 

• Reply 3 of 39
    Why does Apple still bother with the server version if they don't sell any actual servers?
  • Reply 4 of 39

Apple still sells server software because any Mac can become a server by installing it, just as almost any Windows PC can become a Windows server by installing their server software. The only things about the Apple Xserve that made it different from other Macs was the ability to be mounted in a rack and the fact that you had more flexibility with hardware configuration. Other than that, the Apple Xserve was just another Mac. The second reason Apple still sells server software is that it's super cheap and enough people are buying it to justify its continued development. And the reason Apple's server software is so cheap is because it's mostly just a graphical interface that allows an admin to access features already present in OS X. It's 90% about unlocking functionality that's already there.

• Reply 5 of 39

I couldn't agree more...well said!

• Reply 6 of 39
    I am running Mavericks 10.9. It is the most over-rated and fuxored OS release to-date. Apple once again changes things for the sake of changing them.My biggest commplaint...amongst MANY....you can't open folders in separate windows anymore...WHAT THE HELLLLL?
  • Reply 7 of 39
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    IPv6 support in the server.app someday?, jeez!
  • Reply 8 of 39
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    aussiepaul wrote: »
    Why does Apple still bother with the server version if they don't sell any actual servers?

I guess you could ask why MS bothers with a server version if they don't sell actual servers, but the fact is Apple does sell servers and has never stopped selling servers.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    I am running Mavericks 10.9. It is the most over-rated and fuxored OS release to-date. Apple once again changes things for the sake of changing them.My biggest commplaint...amongst MANY....you can't open folders in separate windows anymore...WHAT THE HELLLLL?

We all overlook things, act stupid, and make idiotic comments from time to time, but if someone does that as their first post after choosing an excessively trollish username I can't help but think you damn well that you can open new windows in Finder or have never even used Mavericks, but instead just spreading anti-Apple FUD.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    akqies wrote: »
    I guess you could ask why MS bothers with a server version if they don't sell actual servers, but the fact is Apple does sell servers and has never stopped selling servers.

Huh? Your comment makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. MS are not in the desktop / server hardware business. Plenty of third party builders perform that role. And MS Windows Server has a huge install base compared to Apple which has basically zero pennetration with OSX Server. Apple on the other hand are the sole supplier of compatible hardware with Mac OS X and decided to kill off their only dedicated server hardware. Apple is a consumer oriented company now.
    My question is extremely valid and your rebuttal makes no sense.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    aussiepaul wrote: »
    Huh? Your comment makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. MS are not in the desktop / server hardware business. Plenty of third party builders perform that role. And MS Windows Server has a huge install base compared to Apple which has basically zero pennetration with OSX Server. Apple on the other hand are the sole supplier of compatible hardware with Mac OS X and decided to kill off their only dedicated server hardware. Apple is a consumer oriented company now.
    My question is extremely valid and your rebuttal makes no sense.

Your comment made no qualification that if a company stopped making a rack-mounted server then they should also stop selling server SW.

Note that MS does sell HW that runs Windows, none of which has ever shipped with Windows server.

No, your comment isn't valid because you fail to see the benefit that Apple's current server SW and HW holds because they no longer offer a rack-mounted server.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Originally Posted by Fire Tim Cook View Post

I am running Mavericks 10.9. It is the most over-rated and fuxored OS release to-date. Apple once again changes things for the sake of changing them.My biggest commplaint...amongst MANY.......WHAT THE HELLLLL?

This dangerous idiocy still up after two hours? Embarrassing.

you can't open folders in separate windows anymore

Are you sure you even know what a computer is?

• Reply 13 of 39
    "Dedicated" server hardware. They no longer build 1U's, but today you could buy a mini with OSX Server if you wanted. So I am not sure why you care one way or another. If you don't like OSX Server, please.. don't buy it.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    macotor wrote: »
    "Dedicated" server hardware. They no longer build 1U's, but today you could buy a mini with OSX Server if you wanted. So I am not sure why you care one way or another. If you don't like OSX Server, please.. don't buy it.

And they only charge $20. It's no where near as full featured or as powerful as any other platform's server option but for $20 it's pretty phenomenal.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:

Hey, hey, hey, get lost...

• Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:

my IQ suddenly dropped to -1000

• Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Friday released the Golden Master version of its upcoming OS X 10.9 Mavericks Server to developers, signaling that work on the forthcoming software has been completed.

Mavericks Server GM

Friday's seed, dubbed build 13S440, comes a little over two weeks after Apple issued the final version of OS X 10.9 Mavericks to developers at the beginning of October.

With both the consumer and server versions of the next-generation Mac operating system seeded, it is anticipated that Apple will soon release Mavericks to the public. While no official release date has been set, the OS is anticipated to be announced at an upcoming special event scheduled for next week.

Apple on Tuesday sent out invitations for its special media event, at which many expect the company to unveil a fifth-generation iPad and second-generation iPad mini. AppleInsider will be at the event offering live coverage from 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

That will be more than welcome - a true update to a true desktop OS. I am tired of hearing about iOS crap. Oh, no - we are talking about the feature-deficient OS X Server...my bad.

• Reply 18 of 39

the sarcasm tag is /s.

• Reply 19 of 39
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    I can't wait, think there are some great improvements. It won't cost much and I know I won't have the hassles I'm having with my recent upgrade to windows 8.1 on my other pc.
  • Reply 20 of 39

HAS SAFARI WINDOW LAG WHEN DRAGGING ANY SORT OF CONTENT IN THE WINDOW BEEN FIXED YET?

CHOPPA, CHOPPA, SLOW, CHOPPA...ETC.

Lemon Bon Bon.