Can't log in to 2 users.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
We have 4 users on our iMacDVSE 400. Suddenly, we cannot log in to 2 of these accounts. The good accounts are mine (administrator) and my son's. Two bad ones are my wifes and daughters. I am the only administrator account. Mac OS X v10.2.4.

One account that won't open had the printer give an error when trying to print something from the internet. (A map of the earth for a school project.) That user logged out.

When I logged into my account, Safari suddenly would not work. (v.60). Trashed the plist and still no go. Reinstalled Safari. (Did not trash the whole thing, just copied the new icon/app and replaced the old.) Safari works again.

When trying to log in to the 2 accounts, the progress bar just keeps going, no log in.

I have run fsck from the single user mode. Ran it probably about 15 consecutive times. Each time it says that files were modified.

When I run fsck, I thought it used to say "localhost#" where the cursor is. Today it says "sh-2.05a#" at the cursor.

A couple of things I saw during these fsck processes: a boatload of overlapped extent allocations and one time it said orphaned indirect node with a temp number.

Any help?

[ 03-09-2003: Message edited by: kcmac ]</p>