Kernel problem?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

This morning, iMac became very flaky.  Some apps and other things, such as TextEdit, won’t open. Error messages on others, such as: 

“Item “          “ is used by OS X and can’t be opened.”

“The alias “      “ can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found.”

I didn’t delete the originals.  I have no idea what happened to them. Some URL’s work; some don’t work.  No idea why.

Tried rebooting; no joy. Tried Finder relaunch; no joy.    That’s the scope of my tech ability.

Activity Monitor shows this:

kernel_task            537.7 MB            82            0            0            root                        -            No            0.9            8.11            0 bytes            0 bytes            0 bytes            64 bit            No            No                                    0 bytes            0 bytes            0            0            0 bytes            0 bytes            0 bytes           

Any suggestions? I wish to hell I’d never heard of Mavericks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member

More and more problems. Files disappearing; aliases and original files not connecting or originals ceasing to exist; functions not functioning; etc. 

Should I reinstall Mavericks?  I'm stumped at this point. My iMac is just about useless. I'm surprised I'm still able to reach and write to AI.  I can almost hear the theme from 'Outer Limits' - duh duh duh dah - duh duh duh dah - as stuff fades out or stops working on my computer. It's surreal !!!!!  

Please. Suggestions before everything is gone.

BTW, I know that I spelled Kernel wrong. 

• Reply 2 of 7
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

More and more problems. Files disappearing; aliases and original files not connecting or originals ceasing to exist; functions not functioning; etc. 

Should I reinstall Mavericks?  I'm stumped at this point. My iMac is just about useless. I'm surprised I'm still able to reach and write to AI.  I can almost hear the theme from 'Outer Limits' - duh duh duh dah - duh duh duh dah - as stuff fades out or stops working on my computer. It's surreal !!!!!  

Please. Suggestions before everything is gone.

BTW, I know that I spelled Kernel wrong. 

I'm sure that this is very frustrating, but I doubt that it is a Mavericks problem per se.  It sounds like you have serious drive issues, including permissions and directory structure.  The OS upgrade may have precipitated the symptoms but is unlikely to be the root cause.  I suggest running Disk Utility to check the drive and then reassess how to proceed.  I assume that your drive is backed up somewhere.

• Reply 3 of 7

I've reinstalled Maverick, but it doesn't seem to help. Many files are missing; many URL's still don't work; some apps don't work. I'm concerned about retrieving stuff from the back-up HD. It may make matters worse, so I'm afraid to try.  I did try bringing a copy of  TextEdit into the internal HD from the backup HD, but it still doesn't work. the Header Bar has just the previous app - like Finder but 'dulled' out.

Do you know how to do 'Repair Disk' since there isn't an original disk now? It's grayed out in Disk Utility. I'm assuming that it has to be linked somehow with the original on  Apple Store ! ? ! ? ! ? However, I don't know how to do that.

Permission Repair made some changes.  Doesn't  help.

Verify Disk: "Macintosh HD appears to be OK."      Doesn't help.

I downloaded Pacifist to see if that could help but got an error message that if doesn't work on  this OS.

• Reply 4 of 7
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I've reinstalled Maverick, but it doesn't seem to help. Many files are missing; many URL's still don't work; some apps don't work. I'm concerned about retrieving stuff from the back-up HD. It may make matters worse, so I'm afraid to try.  I did try bringing a copy of  TextEdit into the internal HD from the backup HD, but it still doesn't work. the Header Bar has just the previous app - like Finder but 'dulled' out.

Do you know how to do 'Repair Disk' since there isn't an original disk now? It's grayed out in Disk Utility. I'm assuming that it has to be linked somehow with the original on  Apple Store ! ? ! ? ! ? However, I don't know how to do that.

Permission Repair made some changes.  Doesn't  help.

Verify Disk: "Macintosh HD appears to be OK."      Doesn't help.

I downloaded Pacifist to see if that could help but got an error message that if doesn't work on  this OS.

One last thing I would try then is a safe boot - hold down the shift key while restarting.  That triggers a low level disk check (equivalent to an fsck -y) and loads only core services and extensions (in case it is a conflict with 3rd party software).  If the problems still persist, given the extent of the problems that you are seeing, and assuming that you have an up-to-date backup, I would reformat the drive, do a clean OS install, and then run migration assistant to re-import your applications and documents.

• Reply 5 of 7
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

You didn't experience any of these problems prior to Mavericks?

• Reply 6 of 7

No, none.  Everything worked fine before.

• Reply 7 of 7

Mac Help forums sent this to me regarding Kernel Tasks shown on Activity Monitor:

http://www.thegeekpub.com/260/what-is-kernel_task-why-is-it-running/