Apple's iPad Air now available in US Online Apple Store

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
As expected, Apple kicked off sales of the new iPad Air on its U.S. online storefront a little after midnight Pacific time, with all models showing immediate availability for in-store pickup.

iPad Air

The U.S. is the last timezone to be granted access to Apple's latest full-size iPad, with the tablet hitting Apple Store shelves in Australia some ten hours earlier. As reported on Monday, the company is allowing customers to place Personal Pickup orders, suggesting ample supply.

As of this writing, the Online Apple Store is showing all models as in stock and ready for shipping with delivery by Nov. 4, though it is unclear how many units are allotted for the U.S. When the device launched in Hong Kong, it sold out in less than three hours.

Apple's latest iPad Air features a redesign similar to the current iPad mini, with slim side bezels and curved edges. Along with the aesthetic changes, Apple managed to shave nearly half a pound from the previous generation iPad's weight, bringing the Air down to one pound.

Powering the device is the latest A7 system on a chip, which is also found in the iPhone 5s. Unlike Apple's flagship handset, however, the iPad Air's silicon is clocked 100MHz faster and has been benchmarked as being nearly two times faster than the A6X-toting fourth-generation iPad.

Reviews for the device have been largely positive, with many calling attention to the unit's light weight and speedy performance.

Aside from ordering online, the iPad Air will also be available at brick-and-mortar Apple Stores starting at 8 a.m. local time. Prices start at $499 for a 16GB Wi-Fi model, then move up to $599 for a 32GB version, $699 for 64GB and $799 for 128GB. Apple is offering identical capacities with Wi-Fi + Cellular connectivity for an additional $130.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65

And the online store is working just fine. Got my order in already!

• Reply 2 of 65
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I just bought one. The store just opened. I don't know why it was so late.
  • Reply 3 of 65

Good news for me. I just ordered an iPad Air (32 GB "Silver" Wi-Fi) for pickup at the local Apple Store. Hopefully, I'll get a confirmation of pickup in a few hours. :)

• Reply 4 of 65
    Bought a silver 128gb t-mobile for pickup at Boulder store at 1:02 am MT.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    melgross wrote: »
    I just bought one. The store just opened. I don't know why it was so late.

I just clicked refresh about once per minute until it worked. It was a few minutes late.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Ordered a space grey 64GB one pretty much right when it opened.

Can't wait to pick it up later today.  And the mall has a California Pizza Kitchen, so bonus. :)

• Reply 7 of 65
    Received my confirmation email @12.02am for an AT@T 128GB, Grey to be delivered Monday. The Apple Store App seems to be the quickest way to order.
  • Reply 8 of 65
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Buy one (or more), people.

Best. iPad. Ever.
  • Reply 9 of 65
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What's the over/under on the media meme on Monday questioning if the new iPad is a hit because Apple didn't release weekend sales figures? It's pretty much guaranteed they won't since the mini isn't available yet.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    In line now!
  • Reply 11 of 65
    I ordered mine 8 AM EDT (128 cellular + wifi, space grey), taking a minute or two to do so. Says it will deliver Nov 4. So I am guessing availability is not a huge issue.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    gtr wrote: »
    Buy one (or more), people.

Best. iPad. Ever.
    Just received email that mine is available for in-store pickup. Can't wait to get it.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What's the over/under on the media meme on Monday questioning if the new iPad is a hit because Apple didn't release weekend sales figures? It's pretty much guaranteed they won't since the mini isn't available yet.

Or they will because the release of numbers has nothing to do with the Mini at all. 

They release numbers when they have numbers they can wow with. If they break records and sell like 10 million units in 3 days they will release it. And then again when they sell enough 10 million on Mini weekend. Because they will want folks to see that each model is a huge hit despite the Surface, Galaxy etc

• Reply 14 of 65

Ordered a Silver 32 Gig wifi at 2am CST. Got an email for store pick up in MN at around 7am this morning. Will go over lunch to get it.

Can't wait!!

• Reply 15 of 65
    In line before the store opens. Pre-order line is separate (and much shorter, hehe). Worth it.
  • Reply 16 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Or they will because the release of numbers has nothing to do with the Mini at all. 

They release numbers when they have numbers they can wow with. If they break records and sell like 10 million units in 3 days they will release it. And then again when they sell enough 10 million on Mini weekend. Because they will want folks to see that each model is a huge hit despite the Surface, Galaxy etc

I'm not convinced Apple will ever provide separate sales figures for a iPad air versus iPad mini. The sales figure would have to be a blown away massive number.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    WTF, where is the Mini?
  • Reply 18 of 65
    Order mines November4 delivers can't wait to get it????
  • Reply 19 of 65

Funny, I bought the space grey, 128g at@t and will be picking up in Boulder, 

• Reply 20 of 65
    zindako wrote: »
    WTF, where is the Mini?

The Mini with Retina is set to launch "later in November." Target apparently put November 21st on their website, but it is not known how accurate that is.