Only one third of Samsung's smartphone sales are in the class of Apple's iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In a meeting with its concerned investors on Wednesday, the head of Samsung Mobile revealed numbers illustrating that the company sold fewer high end smartphones than Apple this year, and that only about a third of the company's total "smartphone" shipments are of a class really comparable to the iPhone.

Disregard sales, acquire companies

Samsung's investor meeting, intended to instill confidence in investors worried about flattening sales of profitable, high end smartphones, focused attention on the company's stated plans to accelerate the pace of its acquisitions.

A report by Jungah Lee for Bloomberg cited Samsung's chief financial officer Lee Sang Hoon as saying, "Going forward, we will expand our mergers-and-acquisitions strategy beyond a few target areas to pursue opportunities across a wide range of fields."

Samsung said it has only spent around $1 billion on 14 different acquisitions since 2010. That's a far cry from Google, which has averaged one acquisition per week over that period, and even much less than Apple, which recently announced having made 15 "strategic acquisitions" over the past year.

Is Samsung beating Apple in smartphones?

The Bloomberg report stated that "the company, which overtook Apple Inc. (AAPL) in smartphones, has used sales of cheaper handsets in emerging markets to stoke earnings in mobiles as growth in high-end devices slows amid market saturation."

That's a sugar coated version of what Samsung reported in its latest quarterly earnings report, where it clearly stated: "total shipments [of smartphones were] up QoQ led by increased sales of mass-market models," but "high-end model shipments stayed at similar level QoQ."

Samsung smartphones flat

In stark contrast, Apple's iPhone sales were up 26 percent over the year ago quarter, setting a new volume record for the September quarter. All of Apple's smartphones are "high end," unlike the outdated, 2008-era Galaxy Y model Strategy Analytics Executive Director Neil Mawston cited as an example of the "mass-market models" he said were helping to "lift" Samsung's volumes.

Samsung rarely provides firm numbers for actual smartphone sales, nor does it regularly detail how many are "high end" iPhone competitors and how many are simply basic camera-phones running an old version of Android 2.x, and sold at razor thin profit margins.

Strategy Analytics has become famous for lumping these sales together to award Samsung for being the global smartphone leader, despite the fact that Samsung Mobile earns much less profit (over $1 billion less, below) than Apple despite its much larger numbers of smartphone shipments (more than 3.5x, above).

Samsung's ships two-thirds as many Galaxy S, Note as Apple's iPhone

However, the Bloomberg report noted, in passing, at its very end a comment made by Samsung's mobile chief Shin Jong Kyun, who outlined at the investor event (as portrayed on Samsung's slide below) that "the company will sell a combined 100 million units of its Galaxy S and Note series handsets this year."

According to a (Korean language; machine translated) report by ETNews, Samsung targets total "smartphone" sales this year at 300-310 million, and plans to sell around 360 million in 2014, of which about 126 million will be "premium models."

That report described Samsung's flagship Galaxy S4 as having "sluggish sales this year," and referenced the firm's "the low-end model-driven business strategy." The company originally projected that the Galaxy S4 would sell 100 million units a year on its own, before sales collapsed this spring shortly after its launch.

Samsung's current sales and future plans consistently describe that only around one third of Samsung's "smartphones" are actually comparable to Apple's current iPhones, albeit being a generation behind.

GeekBench

Samsung's U.S. Galaxy S4 handles benchmarks slightly slower than Apple's iPhone 5c (which is very similar to the iPhone 5 Apple released last year), while all of Samsung's smartphones still lack the 64-bit power and extended battery efficiency of Apple's A7-powered iPhone 5s flagship.

AnandTech

Over the last fiscal year, Apple reported sales of 150 million iPhones. Unlike Samsung, Apple is not reporting an end to high end sales growth. Instead, Apple's high end is growing faster (26 percent) than than the overall phone industry (7 percent), according to CNET.

That's a serious problem for Samsung, which makes about two thirds of its total profits from smartphone sales. Apple also relies very heavily upon iPhone sales, but it also has profitable Mac, iPad and iTunes, software and service related businesses, which generate ten times the profit of Samsung's struggling Chromebook netbook, Android tablet and Windows PC sales.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 119
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Acquiring companies is not in itself a strategy, is it? You first come up with a strategy, and then you acquire companies (or don't, as needed) to achieve it. Acquisitions are a tactic.

If I was a shareholder of this company and went to an investors' meeting and they said the strategy was to "make more acquisitions" I would be mortified.
  • Reply 2 of 119
    I've Recently discovered the new cloud service copy and it has replaced
    Dropbox completely.. You get 15 Gb of free space and with each
    Referral you get 5 gigs extra space. The surface is very similar to Dropbox, in my opinion
    even better. There is also a desktop app for Windows and Mac, as well as a mobile
    App for Ios and Android.

• Reply 3 of 119
    So if Samsung alone is selling 2/3 of Apple's volume in high-end phones, can we all finally agree that high-end Android phones combined outsell the iPhone?
  • Reply 4 of 119
    So Samsung high-end smartphones represent 81.3 millions/3 = 27,1 on Q3 2013. Apple Insider said in a previous article (http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/22/iphone-5-accounts-for-half-of-apples-smartphone-sales-iphone-4s-takes-30) that about half of iPhone were iPhone 5 , this will let to 33,8*0,48 = 16,22 millions Apple high-end smartphone (iPhone 4S and 4 were from 2011).

[All data came from IDC Q3 2013]

So we can estimate sales on Q3 2013 : iPhone high-end smartphone sales (iPhone 5 ) are 16,22 millions to be compare with Samsung high-end smartphone sales at 27,1 millions.....
  • Reply 5 of 119
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    A bit deceptive to show one of the graphs for the battery benchmark where the 5s wins ( 30m), while the other bench (browsing using wifi, which is 90% of my web browsing) shows the lg g2 ( 2h), note3 ( 1h) and htc one x( 1h) beating out the 5s by a significant margin.
  • Reply 6 of 119
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I'd not describe the 4s as high end, sure the casing and screen are high quality but the phone is getting long in the tooth now.
  • Reply 7 of 119
    So if Samsung alone is selling 2/3 of Apple's volume in high-end phones, can we all finally agree that high-end Android phones combined outsell the iPhone?

OK, if that's what floats your boat.
  • Reply 8 of 119
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    So Samsung high-end smartphones represent 81.3 millions/3 = 27,1 on Q3 2013. Apple Insider said in a previous article (http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/22/iphone-5-accounts-for-half-of-apples-smartphone-sales-iphone-4s-takes-30) that about half of iPhone were iPhone 5 , this will let to 33,8*0,48 = 16,22 millions Apple high-end smartphone (iPhone 4S and 4 were from 2011).

[All data came from IDC Q3 2013]

So we can estimate sales on Q3 2013 : iPhone high-end smartphone sales (iPhone 5 ) are 16,22 millions to be compare with Samsung high-end smartphone sales at 27,1 millions.....

You are failing to comprehend that "high end" here basically means iPhone 4 or better.

Most of Samsung's "smartphones" are $100-$300 basic phones barely running Android and not capable of using apps or getting upgrades.

We aren't splitting hairs between "very latest model" and "year or two old"

Most of Strategy Analytics' smartphone numbers are counting low end junk, just like the tablet numbers that are mostly no name things that sell for $40-$90

Android fans imagine that the mass market is Nexus/Galaxy/HTC One stuff comparable to iPhone. Only a very small fraction is.

Samsung sells way more than half of the premium android phones in the US, and there aren't many sold in most "emerging markets"
  • Reply 9 of 119

Do you think Samsung only makes 60% of android profits? If so, go read more. Samsung sells the most premium android phones by far.

That's why everyone else is losing money and not proud enough of their sales numbers to even report them.
  • Reply 10 of 119
    I personally chuckle that the Snapdragon is a Quad-core CPU with the new Adreno 330 GPGPU SoC running at 1Ghz clock ticking higher, and more than twice the system RAM only

TOO LOSE IN PERFORMANCE ACROSS THE BOARD.

When Apple jumps up in RAM [if reports are correct] to triple that of their current levels, with an Quad Core A8 [or later], while still being finicky on wasting energy perhaps then people will figure out that the talent amassed at Apple is top of the stack.
  • Reply 11 of 119
    [quote]You are failing to comprehend that "high end" here basically means iPhone 4 or better.

Most of Samsung's "smartphones" are $100-$300 basic phones barely running Android and not capable of using apps or getting upgrades.

We aren't splitting hairs between "very latest model" and "year or two old"[/quote]

Do you really think two years old smartphone iPhone (4/4S) is still high-end ? Samsung high-ends smartphones price-tag (Galaxy S4 / Note 3) are comparable with Apple iPhone's price-tag 600$ .

I'm not splitting the hairs, I'm just analyzing the market and phone performance's correctly without passion. Apple Insider just gave you the facts to say "Samsung outsells Apple even on premium segment..."

Apple has a strategy to keep selling old-phone like 4S in order to attract budget-conscious buyers. It's a good strategy ! And beeing second in premium market is still a good position.... no matter what.

Hopefully, Apple Q4 sales should allow Apple to be soon again number one in premium market segment, at least for a quarter ;).
  • Reply 12 of 119
    More than anything I think this shows a general market trend. Maintaining sales of £500-£600 phones is going to be hard. Particularly if you consider the iPhone 3G only cost £350 and since then £100 phones have improved to the point where they do the same stuff as a £600 phone but are just made of plastic and have lower quality screens.
  • Reply 13 of 119
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Acquiring companies is not in itself a strategy, is it? You first come up with a strategy, and then you acquire companies (or don't, as needed) to achieve it. Acquisitions are a tactic.

If I was a shareholder of this company and went to an investors' meeting and they said the strategy was to "make more acquisitions" I would be mortified.

Do you consider Apple's acquisition of Intrinsity & PA-semi as a business strategy or tactic?

• Reply 14 of 119
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

You are failing to comprehend that "high end" here basically means iPhone 4 or better.

We aren't splitting hairs between "very latest model" and "year or two old"

Most of Strategy Analytics' smartphone numbers are counting low end junk, just like the tablet numbers that are mostly no name things that sell for $40-$90

Android fans imagine that the mass market is Nexus/Galaxy/HTC One stuff comparable to iPhone. Only a very small fraction is.

Samsung sells way more than half of the premium android phones in the US, and there aren't many sold in most "emerging markets"

Sure, do you have any data to back up your claims?  Considering Samsung doesn't publish their sales/shipment unit, like Dilger, you seem to be pulling numbers out of your a**.

• Reply 15 of 119
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Does AI have numbers to back up what they're reporting here?
  • Reply 16 of 119
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ecoconscient View Post

Do you really think two years old smartphone iPhone (4/4S) is still high-end ? Samsung high-ends smartphones price-tag (Galaxy S4 / Note 3) are comparable with Apple iPhone's price-tag 600$ .

I'm not splitting the hairs, I'm just analyzing the market and phone performance's correctly without passion. Apple Insider just gave you the facts to say "Samsung outsells Apple even on premium segment..."

Apple has a strategy to keep selling old-phone like 4S in order to attract budget-conscious buyers. It's a good strategy ! And beeing second in premium market is still a good position.... no matter what.

Hopefully, Apple Q4 sales should allow Apple to be soon again number one in premium market segment, at least for a quarter image.

If the definition of a smartphone is to be able to run apps well, yes the 4s is still high end smartphone. Heck, even the lowly old 3GS I kept (i  use a lot more the ipad mini now, keep the phone for calls and maps mostly) run better than some of the lowend samsungs I see around.

The galaxy S line is not so bad ( but i really dislike the screen both for colors and lack of responsiveness, and the flimsy plastic shell) but the low end of the bucket is really junk, to the point that a nokia  dumbphone is actually better value.

• Reply 17 of 119
    rogifan wrote: »
    Does AI have numbers to back up what they're reporting here?

Read the article
  • Reply 18 of 119
    tooltalk wrote: »
    Sure, do you have any data to back up your claims?  Considering Samsung doesn't publish their sales/shipment unit, like Dilger, you seem to be pulling numbers out of your a**.

Read the article
  • Reply 19 of 119

I've always updated at the end of my 2 year contract, but my Iphone 4s is still performing very well, its all relative....Compares to the S4 or 5s, no it's not high end, compared to everything else then yes it is.

2 years old or not it's still a very powerful phone, and to write off the 4s or any other (apple, galaxy or HTC) phone because they are not as powerful as the very latest is foolish.

• Reply 20 of 119
    wait....
    there are samsung phones actually comparable to iPhone??
    did I miss something?