Apple's online stores go down worldwide amid Retina iPad mini launch rumors

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Following the discovery of a suspect internal Apple document that purportedly announced the iPad mini with Retina display's Nov. 12 launch date, the company's online storefronts have gone down for maintenance.

Apple Store Down

While it is unknown if the Online Apple Store downtime is related to the note distributed through Apple's GSX website, it appears that maintenance is occurring simultaneously worldwide, fueling speculation of an imminent Retina iPad mini launch.

On Monday, Apple sent out a message to service techs and resellers via its Global Exchange Service website, advising them that the Retina mini would launch in eight countries on Nov. 12, local time. Those countries named included Australia, China, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore and the United States.

At the time, the service document was thought to be posted in error, as seven of the eight countries mentioned were already well into the supposed launch day without news that sales had started. Before the Online Apple Stores went down, the Retina iPad mini advertisement and corresponding webpage showed the device as being available "later in November."

Apple first unveiled the iPad mini with Retina display in October, but has yet to set a firm release date for the tablet. Rumors claim the company is facing unforeseen difficulties with display yields, which has subsequently held up mass production of the device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    Huh, well that's mighty coincidental. Could that seemingly-obvious typo actually turn out to be true?

Guess I'm setting my alarm for midnight PST.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    docwallaby wrote: »
    Huh, well that's mighty coincidental. Could that seemingly-obvious typo actually turn out to be true?

Why the wait? They might sell it the moment the Store is open again.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    Down in Australia too.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Why the wait? They might sell it the moment the Store is open again.

Because Apple ALWAYS reopens the USA online store at midnight PST when they release a new major product. So I can either spend the next two and a half hours refreshing the Apple Store in an exercise in futility, or I can get a couple hours of sleep, wake up, and find out one way or the other.

Which option makes the most sense?

• Reply 5 of 63
    Let me see. Option B?
  • Reply 6 of 63

Ah good, you're in the better timezone. Sleep well, and I hope you can place your order right afterwards.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    Thanks, people. Fingers crossed this turns out to be the real McCoy!
  • Reply 8 of 63
    Because Apple ALWAYS reopens the USA online store at midnight PST when they release a new major product. So I can either spend the next two and a half hours refreshing the Apple Store in an exercise in futility, or I can get a couple hours of sleep, wake up, and find out one way or the other.

But also neither have a history of a major (by revenue and profit) product release not having some lead up nor releasing on a Monday night/Tuesday at midnight.
  • Reply 9 of 63

It might not a new Retina iPad Mini nor a coincidence. There are now hundreds of articles about the impending Retina iPad Mini being released on the 12th. We can't rule out Apple deciding to take advantage of a (for argument's sake) baseless article. Apple could both gauge interest and get free publicity with such a stunt.

Note: I'm not saying that is what is going on, only that there is at least one more general category.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    Interesting. I didn't expect a launch like this but guess we will know for sure in a couple hours.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

It might not a new Retina iPad Mini nor a coincidence. There are now hundreds of articles about the impending Retina iPad Mini being released on the 12th. We can't rule out Apple deciding to take advantage of a (for argument's sake) baseless article. Apple could both gauge interest and get free publicity with such a stunt.

Note: I'm not saying that is what is going on, only that there is at least one more general category.

Nah, I don't buy that, way too much effort for something like that....

I am pretty sure when this site comes back up its going to be for the Retina iPad Mini.  Besides the release date info was released on Apple's own vendor site by Apple.  One could speculate it was in error, but it still there now.  So, if they had made a mistake it would have been taken down. 

• Reply 12 of 63

1:29 am EST and the apple store lists the iPad Mini with Retina, starting at $399.  Available "later in November".

• Reply 13 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

1:29 am EST and the apple store lists the iPad Mini with Retina, starting at $399.  Available "later in November".

Actually the store is currently down.  Are you talking about the information page on Apple's site, I think so.  That won't be updated in any case until after the device is available for purchase.

• Reply 14 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

Still down for me on my computer and the iPhone Apple Store App... You might want to clear your browser cache, unless you are in a geographical location where it won't be available. The Apple web site is still up though, its the store that is down.  Not sure which you are looking at.

• Reply 15 of 63
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Waiting until you normally wake up and normally get onto your computer...
  • Reply 16 of 63
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Waiting until you normally wake up and normally get onto your computer...

Nah.  That's no fun at all.  I always wait up until 3am (EST, here) or set an alarm.  Much more fun to be one of the first ones on, and get that order in.  :)

Plus, that's how you avoid the multi-week delays in delivery.

• Reply 17 of 63

I don't get why the store goes down for several hours every time there's a major launch or even minor update. You don't see Amazon.com going down for hours whenever they put up a major product. Out of all the things that should have continuous uptime, a e-commerce site is pretty high on the list.

• Reply 18 of 63
    konqerror wrote: »
    I don't get why the store goes down for several hours every time there's a major launch or even minor update. You don't see Amazon.com going down for hours whenever they put up a major product. Out of all the things that should have continuous uptime, a e-commerce site is pretty high on the list.

You're right, in that they don't have to but here are both technical and marketing reasons why they do it.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

You're right, in that they don't have to but here are both technical and marketing reasons why they do it.

If by technical you mean shoddy software. I guess there's anticipation before a major launch, but what about all the minor update downtime? They're undoubtedly losing money there.

• Reply 20 of 63

Down for Canada as well even though we aren't on that list.

I can image people waking up to news of it selling out and ship dates slipping to 3-4 weeks. Plus I like to see the Apple faithful lined up outside stores (never done it myself) but doubt we'll see that if it's a surprise release.

I don't think it'll happen though, very unlike Apple to do so