Apple starts online sales of Retina iPad mini, no in-store pickup as supply already tight

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday finally put the iPad mini with Retina display up for order through its Online Apple Store, springing the tablet on customers after going over three weeks without announcing a firm launch date.

iPad mini

While the units just went up for sale minutes ago, it appears Apple is already seeing supply constraints of the Retina mini, as the U.S. store is showing a one to two day shipping estimate for 16GB and 32GB Wi-Fi models, while 64GB, 128GB and all Wi-Fi + Cellular versions ship in five to ten days. It is unclear when in-store pickups will be initiated, but for now it does not appear to be an option.

Prices start at $399 for a 16GB Wi-Fi model, $499 for 32GB, $599 for 64GB and $699 for the new 128GB option. Apple's Wi-Fi + Cellular versions start at $529 for the lowest capacity 16GB model and move up in $100 increments, topping out at $829 for 128GB of storage.

Instead of announcing the launch publicly, Apple quietly kicked off online sales at midnight Pacific in the U.S., indicating supply levels may not be high enough to sustain an expect influx of early adopters. Apple CEO Tim Cook hinted at possibly tight inventory in late October, saying, "It's unclear whether we will have enough for the quarter or not."

On Monday, Apple sent a notification to technicians and resellers through its GSX website, informing them that the Retina mini would go on sale today in Australia, China, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore and the United States. The device is indeed now for sale in the Online Apple Stores in those locales, as well as a few others, though in-store availability is unknown at this time.

Late last night, the company took its online storefront down for maintenance and reopened with the much-awaited tablet up for sale.

Aside from putting the Retina iPad mini in a prominent position on the first page of its online store, Apple spruced-up the website's design in preparation for the holidays, including custom ads targeting Christmas shoppers.

While reviews have yet to come out for the iPad mini with Retina display, AppleInsider was able to take a hands-on look at the device when it was unveiled last month. Also, if you are in the market for a new iPad, don't forget to lock in a high payout rate now to trade in your old iPad or iPad mini for cash.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Now, if only I had a reason to get one!

Between the iPhone 5S and the iPad Air, I don't think I can justify a use case scenario for the Retina Mini.  Oh well.  :)

• Reply 2 of 85
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Everyone said i was crazy. Im nothing if not logical.
  • Reply 3 of 85

32gb Cellular is on its way :)

• Reply 4 of 85
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Wow, supplies must be really tight to have the times go out so fast. Such a shame, they could make a killing with these this Christmas (still could).
  • Reply 5 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Now, if only I had a reason to get one!

Between the iPhone 5S and the iPad Air, I don't think I can justify a use case scenario for the Retina Mini.  Oh well.  :)

I originally wanted a Retina Mini, but I ended up with the Air. I convinced myself to get an Retina Mini so I just ordered a 32GB Space Grey LTE. Pretty damn expensive month with 2 iPads, iPhone 5s, and PS4 on Friday. 

• Reply 6 of 85

Apple relesed IPhone 6 image.Did you see it ,if not see here http://imgdino.com/viewer.php?file=80198577703430724967.jpg

• Reply 7 of 85
    Apple Store Hong Kong is quoting 5 to 10 days with online order, no estimate from the Apple Store shop %uD83D%uDE21
  • Reply 8 of 85
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    I originally wanted a Retina Mini, but I ended up with the Air. I convinced myself to get an Retina Mini so I just ordered a 32GB Space Grey LTE. Pretty damn expensive month with 2 iPads, iPhone 5s, and PS4 on Friday. 

You could always take the PS4 back... ;)
  • Reply 9 of 85

32G space gray @ 2:01

• Reply 10 of 85
    Got the 32GB Verizon cellular ordered and to be delivered by Dec 4 at the latest. Will be very nice to have this along with the iPad Air for a 2-week business trip to China and Indonesia that starts on Dec 8. Perfect timing.
  • Reply 11 of 85

Its superb keep it up apple ,you are gonna lead the market

• Reply 12 of 85

i will get 32gb

• Reply 13 of 85
    I just order a Retina iPad Mini Space Gray 128gb Verizon at 3am,
    I am thinking in April to get a iPad Air 64GB.
  • Reply 14 of 85
    Just ordered a 64GB Cellular Space Gray for son (already have my 128GB Cellular iPad Air). Ships in 5 to 10 days. He is very excited to get the retina mini. He has a regular mini and uses it for most of his college reading, and is looking forward to the sharper display. Hope Apple can make enough to keep up with demand.
  • Reply 15 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

You could always take the PS4 back... image

Heck no. I'm dying to play the next gen BF4 and FIFA 14. 

• Reply 16 of 85
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Ouch, yeah. :)

But that's some sweet, sweet HW there.

PS: I was thinking about waiting until the PS4 came out to see if I could get a really cheap PS3, since the only game I want to play is the new Tomb Raider.  But apparently it will be coming to OSX before the year is out, so ...

• Reply 17 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Ouch, yeah. :)

But that's some sweet, sweet HW there.

PS: I was thinking about waiting until the PS4 came out to see if I could get a really cheap PS3, since the only game I want to play is the new Tomb Raider.  But apparently it will be coming to OSX before the year is out, so ...

The latest Tomb Raider is a really good game. That and The Last of Us were my favorite games on the PS3 this year. 

• Reply 18 of 85
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Huge huge huge demand for this product.

Too bad supply will be tight for a little bit.

Still, good for Apple that they have high standards for their components.
  • Reply 19 of 85
    5-10 days is good .

If it is 24 hours , then anal ists will say ipad mini 2 suffers weaker than bullshitted demand.

If it is 2-3 weeks, then the mother fuckers will say Apple is unable to keep up with the demand due to the production difficulty . And lower the ipad sales estimate.

**** THE ANAL ists .
  • Reply 20 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kariie View Post

Its superb keep it up apple ,you are gonna lead the market

"Gonna lead" the market? They have been the leader since the original iPad.