Apple's Next Keynote

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Tim Cook says we will see new products throughout 2014, meaning we should see new products in the first half of 2014. Unlike this year, 2014 doesn't appear to be as predictable a year for Apple announcements. What do you think we'll see the next time Apple gets on stage? My money is on an iPad Pro, possibly in March-April. Other possibilities:

1. New Apple TV. This is due for an upgrade, but it's looking more likely that Apple doesn't want to take the next step with TV unless it's a big step.

2. Next generation of MacBook Air with retina display. There have been rumors of such a device for awhile, but I don't think it's gonna happen. I think the 12" retina display computer is going to be an iPad Pro... A professional class touch screen computer, possibly with Final Cut Pro Touch, etc.

3. iApparel. Wearables by Apple are coming, and I don't think it'll be in march, but as you all know, Apple announces new categories many months before they actually release them, so who knows, but I'd doubt it. The more I think about this category, the more exciting it becomes though.

4. iWallet event, a few months before WWDC to get the ball rolling in time for the late year upgrade cycle and possibly new product categories that may deploy such a service. Apple doesn't call Touch ID forward thinking by accident. That slogan makes me think that a big push into authentication-type services could be sooner rather than later. This disturbs me a little because Apple hasn't exactly been a world-beater in the services department, and while iCloud, Siri, and Maps sit still in the back of the class, Apple is going to introduce yet another big service?

Speaking of which, can anybody think of an important short term use case for Siri as a service? What a disappointment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Originally Posted by Andrew Fields View Post

Speaking of which, can anybody think of an important short term use case for Siri as a service? What a disappointment.

Hardly. You do know what it is, right? You wouldn’t be saying this if you did. 

• Reply 2 of 9

Hardly. You do know what it is, right? You wouldn’t be saying this if you did. 

I use Siri, when I remember to, for setting reminders. That's it. My experience with it hasn't been that bad, but it's still like a beta service that is separate from the rest of the OS. It's not a natural or intuitive part of the interface, and its endurance as a service isn't clear. Nothing about it is a must have for mainstream users. It might be great for iOS in the Car, but everything about that push seems like another one of Apple's half assed efforts into some market they don't deeply care about and can't sell directly to the consumer.
  • Reply 3 of 9

It could possibly be a new line of lap or desktop computers, using the touch technology they've developed for their current devices. Or it could be a new series of devices dealing in virtual reality, comparable to (but better than) the Oculus Rift, or the Leap Motion. Advances in virtual reality may have much future potential. 

• Reply 4 of 9
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Tim Cook says we will see new products throughout 2014, meaning we should see new products in the first half of 2014. Unlike this year, 2014 doesn't appear to be as predictable a year for Apple announcements. What do you think we'll see the next time Apple gets on stage? My money is on an iPad Pro, possibly in March-April. Other possibilities:

1. New Apple TV. This is due for an upgrade, but it's looking more likely that Apple doesn't want to take the next step with TV unless it's a big step.
    For what it does Apple TV is fine. To take it to the next level they need to support apps but that rises problem as a machine suitable for games would have enough power to displace conventional computer sales. I suspect this is why we haven't yet seen an AppleTV that supports apps. Apple may very well hold its big thumb over AppleTV to prevent expanded capabilities.
    2. Next generation of MacBook Air with retina display. There have been rumors of such a device for awhile, but I don't think it's gonna happen. I think the 12" retina display computer is going to be an iPad Pro... A professional class touch screen computer, possibly with Final Cut Pro Touch, etc.
    All of Apples computers will eventually get there. It is a matter of having the volume to support low power screens for the product. In any event I'm kinda hoping for a laptop with an enhanced A8 chip in it. I now this will create all sorts of issues with i86 compatibility but in the end I think it would bee a big win for Apple. That is if the ARM based laptop supports Mac OS/x fully.
    3. iApparel. Wearables by Apple are coming, and I don't think it'll be in march, but as you all know, Apple announces new categories many months before they actually release them, so who knows, but I'd doubt it. The more I think about this category, the more exciting it becomes though.
    I don't really see a big demand for wearables to be honest. They would need a compelling feature to get me to wear such crap.

4. iWallet event, a few months before WWDC to get the ball rolling in time for the late year upgrade cycle and possibly new product categories that may deploy such a service. Apple doesn't call Touch ID forward thinking by accident. That slogan makes me think that a big push into authentication-type services could be sooner rather than later. This disturbs me a little because Apple hasn't exactly been a world-beater in the services department, and while iCloud, Siri, and Maps sit still in the back of the class, Apple is going to introduce yet another big service?
    Your perspective here is crap. Maps worked for me right out of the box and has successfully functioned fine for me every time I've used it. The problem with Maps is that a small minority expected a copy of Google Maps which was never Apples intention, nor is it Apples style to copy. Admittedly iCloud suck but that agains is my perspective, Apple most likely implemented what they wanted implemented and frankly my use of iCloud is pretty transparent. IClouds biggest issue i\s the way files are managed or to say can't be managed by the user. As for Siri what do you expect from it?

Your mind is full of negativity here. If Siri doesn't work for you who's fault is it?

As for the next Keynote or few keynotes, here are some guesses:
    1. A larger iPad.
    2. A new iPad touch with A7. This would be hell on wheels really.
    3. Possibly a new AppleTV.
    4. A replacement for the Mini. Ideally a machine that makes up some of the slack in the lineup between the Mini and the Mac Pro.
    5. ARM based Mac OS/X devices. Most likely laptops.
    6. iInstrumentation. Yes I'm biased here being in the technical trades but Apple could take iOS and implement one hell of a multimeter like device,
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I wouldn't say any of Apple's big services suck, but they're not of the level we'd expect from Apple in polish and execution. Siri is decidedly second rate, especially if you've ever used Google Now. But that brings me to my main criticism of it... What the heck is it really good for besides setting reminders? It's not changing the way people are using the device, and it's not an intuitive part of the interface. It's slow, and if it's supposed to be a search engine replacement, then it seems pretty redundant to just direct you to the web. As a UI, I can only see it being useful in the car, and even then, Apple's push into that screams half-assed.

I also beg to differ on wearables. Apple has leaked stories to nytimes, Bloomberg, and WSJ on iwatch details, and there is no question in my mind that it's a complete red herring. Steve Jobs said the next big revolution in tech was the intersecting of biology and technology, and I think Apple is cooking up something amazing there. You don't care about wearables right now and neither do I, but it's like what Tim Cook said, there's no point in such a device unless it convinces you it's so amazing that you have to have it.

I think Apple's next big thing has something to do with biometrics, ibeacons, touch ID, and wearables. But this thread is about Apple's next big keynote, and my money is on the iPad Pro. I'd love it if they'd take their professional creation suites into the cloud, so that the form factor of an iPad Pro isn't compromised by the need for big expensive drives. Adobe has really shown the way here. Final Cut Pro Touch FTW!!!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I wouldn't say any of Apple's big services suck, but they're not of the level we'd expect from Apple in polish and execution. Siri is decidedly second rate, especially if you've ever used Google Now. But that brings me to my main criticism of it... What the heck is it really good for besides setting reminders? It's not changing the way people are using the device, and it's not an intuitive part of the interface. It's slow, and if it's supposed to be a search engine replacement, then it seems pretty redundant to just direct you to the web. As a UI, I can only see it being useful in the car, and even then, Apple's push into that screams half-assed.
    If you don't like Siri why dwell on it? i really don't understand this mentality, it is like the people that lambast Internet Explorer on Windows yet don't bother to install an alternative browser. The same thing goes for text messaging on iPhone, if you don't like it why use it.
    I also beg to differ on wearables. Apple has leaked stories to nytimes, Bloomberg, and WSJ on iwatch details, and there is no question in my mind that it's a complete red herring. Steve Jobs said the next big revolution in tech was the intersecting of biology and technology, and I think Apple is cooking up something amazing there. You don't care about wearables right now and neither do I, but it's like what Tim Cook said, there's no point in such a device unless it convinces you it's so amazing that you have to have it.
    I suppose it is possible they might have something up their sleeves that would compel me to buy but I'm just being honest when I say I really doubt it. The wearing of jewelry just never appealed to me.

I think Apple's next big thing has something to do with biometrics, ibeacons, touch ID, and wearables. But this thread is about Apple's next big keynote, and my money is on the iPad Pro.
    Well I'm with you there. I'm not sure it will be the primary focus of the next Keynote but it certainly will be something that will arrive in 2014. I've been saying for some time that Apple needs a full line of tablets and a 13" would nicely fill out the line.
    I'd love it if they'd take their professional creation suites into the cloud, so that the form factor of an iPad Pro isn't compromised by the need for big expensive drives. Adobe has really shown the way here. Final Cut Pro Touch FTW!!!

I'm not a big fan of iCloud. As for storage I'm pretty disappointed that Apple didn't bump up the flash in each model of iPad Air. It has been a long time and over that period flash has become much cheaper. Beyond that local storage always bets cloud storage for performance. Serious could you imagine editing a picture, movie or any large file over the net. It doesn't make sense to me.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    You're right.... There would have to be a huge breakthrough in cloud tech to make my dream of Final Cut Pro touch a reality. Boo.

As for Siri, I'm not saying it shouldn't exist, I'm just complaining that it's apparently taking up quite a bit of resources and with no clear picture of its overall value. I thought Apple was about focus. I'd hate to see this company start spreading itself thin trying to compete everywhere. Siri did a good job of selling 4S's but it's become a new Newton for pop culture. That's not good.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    You're right.... There would have to be a huge breakthrough in cloud tech to make my dream of Final Cut Pro touch a reality. Boo.
    Final Cut for iOS isn't impossible, I just don't see how it could reasonably work with iCloud. The bandwidth to the cloud simply isn't there. We do need better iOS hardware though. One of my biggest disappointment was the lack of a bump to RAM on iOS devices. In my estimation Apple is artificially holding the tablets back with this move, as RAM is very important for this type of software. Close behind is the need for more internal storage.
    As for Siri, I'm not saying it shouldn't exist, I'm just complaining that it's apparently taking up quite a bit of resources and with no clear picture of its overall value. I thought Apple was about focus.
    Maybe it is immature technology but Apple needs to keep a foot in the artificial intelligence world. Frankly I've had mixed results with Siri but it works good enough that I can have it map directions for me while on the move. That is pretty impressive really.
    I'd hate to see this company start spreading itself thin trying to compete everywhere.
    Sometimes you have to take small steps into the future. If you have ever seen Apples Knowledge navigator videos you will get a hint as to where they are going. In the long run Apple needs to marry such technologies with Mac OS because honestly there isn't a lot of improvement to be made to conventional operating systems. At some point AI will have to be introduced into operating systems to simple keep the world interested in new hardware.

I just had an interesting thought, maybe we will see an A9 or A10 in the near future with hardware support for language processing, AI and other unconventional computing needs. I really see Apple having a long term goal with its self engineered processors. They already have some signal processing of speech built in.
    Siri did a good job of selling 4S's but it's become a new Newton for pop culture. That's not good.

Garbage! First off Newton was a huge success! it was only killed to get the company under control and return it to profitability. Second Siri is no different that the Calendar app, the notes app or anything else included in iOS. Some people make use of certain features others don't. If you don't value something you should not assume that the rest of the world agrees with you. For example I thought that Apples maps program was the best thing since sliced bread the day it was released. That is because it did what I needed in a way I expected it to work. Many would disagree with me but many of the complaints about maps where blown way out of proportion.
  • Reply 9 of 9

The annual Christmas is coming,it’s the most important day for the Europe and the United States,some of people will buy gifts at this time,it’s the good idea to gift the designer handbag to your friend for the Christmas present.but the original designer bag is so expensive that someone can’t afford it.

Prada is one of the world famous brand designer bags,Many women obsessed with the Prada Handbag,Prada is from Italy,which is made from the finest quality of hand-stitched leather,you need to pay $1,500 to $3,000 to buy the prada original bag by Prada stores,as we know,the replica prada bag only cost $150 to $300,that is so crazy right? No one want to spend the 10 times the price of original bag on a fake bag,Distinguishing between an original and fake Prada handbag isn’t hard,may be you just understand of Prada’s characteristic signature marks.

Be careful to check the name on the handbag,the sign of original Prada “R” show the subtle concave curve immediately after extending from the top of the letter.but the sign of replica Prada “R” is straight and appears standard.

The Prada logo accent lines match the handbag leather color, but the accent lines on a fake Prada handbag make the corlor black, brown or white.

Feel the logo with your fingers. The accent lines on an authentic Prada logo feel slightly raised, whereas a knock-off logo contains no difference in texture.

All the manufacturing tags, plaques and logos will show the sign of “Made in Italy.” which not like other brands designer bag.

Keywords: Spot (Replica Louis Vuitton bag  Replica Gucci Bag Replica Prada Bag)

Other blog Related News :  Top 5 Signs to spot the Replica Louis Vuitton Bag