Aluminium Unibody of the MacBook Pro Retina Display ?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited April 2014

I have a question regarding the Aluminum Unibody of MacBook Pro Retina Display. Does constantly keeping your hand at the palm rest area on the MacBook while typing on the keyboard, can it lighten the Keyboard Rest area or leave stains because of sweating and thereby peel off or wear off that colour on the palm rest area?? This happened with my Sony vaio constantly keeping my hand on the palm rest area (like for e.g for typing on the keyboard) on vaio has left some stain because of the sweat of my hands on the palm rest area.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Apparently so:

http://davidvielmetter.com/tricks/macbook-pro-palm-rest-discoloration/

I doubt it will be as bad as plastic laptops and it describes how to repair it but it must be enough of an issue for there to be a 3rd party solution:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TW021LL/A/moshi-13-palmguard-palm-rest-protector-for-macbook-pro
  • Reply 2 of 9
    This is interesting, I posted the same question on one another forum and the people there were desperately trying to convince me that since it is a Aluminium Unibody it cannot have any marks of you resting your hand/palm on the keyboard palm rest area and they were busy trying to convince me well no, nothing happens, they have been using their's since a long time and it is just the same as it was at the time of the purchase that they made. This is the first ever documented evidence that I have come across, where in some one is talking about he same thing which I had apprehension about...I also noticed there is same kind of discussion very Much active on the Apple Offficial Site Forums. So it does happen, I was made to feel and believe you have a silly question and nothing of that sort happens :D
  • Reply 3 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    augustya wrote: »
    This is interesting, I posted the same question on one another forum and the people there were desperately trying to convince me that since it is a Aluminium Unibody it cannot have any marks of you resting your hand/palm on the keyboard palm rest area and they were busy trying to convince me well no, nothing happens, they have been using their's since a long time and it is just the same as it was at the time of the purchase that they made. This is the first ever documented evidence that I have come across, where in some one is talking about he same thing which I had apprehension about...I also noticed there is same kind of discussion very Much active on the Apple Offficial Site Forums. So it does happen, I was made to feel and believe you have a silly question and nothing of that sort happens :D

The problem is people will use their laptops differently. When I type or use the trackpad on a laptop, I don't rest my hands on the front. My sleeves or wrists would be there. It's actually quite difficult to use a laptop with palms rested there so I doubt the staining would be a common issue. The protector cover above even says that Apple recommends it for "demanding users". People on forums tend to react based on the assumption that everyone has the same usage habits as them or their expectations. The exceptions would usually receive the 'don't hold it that way' treatment, which in some cases is fair because there just isn't a way to accommodate every single usage scenario with a handful of products.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    lol ! What if someone is wearing a half sleeve shirt or a Tshirt then there is no shirt touching the palm rest area it is your wrist or your Palm :-)
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Sounds gimmicky to me
  • Reply 6 of 9
    :rolleyes:
  • Reply 7 of 9
    virtua wrote: »
    Sounds gimmicky to me

What sounds Gimmicky to you ?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member

ive had vaios and Hp and yes you can get a shiny palm rest after a while.   But the macs being metal - Ive had several without any discolouration or shininess.  Perhaps if you have seat hands that may cause something, but it seems to me to be one of those things to just burn money on for no reason.

• Reply 9 of 9

Hello, 

I´m really surprised that no one has this problems with stains on palmrest. 

I have macbook pro retina for one year and after 2 months of use some stains has appeared, now my right palm-rest is an authentic disaster! Please see the pictures. 

I did already tried to clean with alcohol, with vinegar ... nothing solves the problem! 

Can anyone advise something besides gluing the palm rest protector?