Apple seeds Safari betas with PDF and autofill enhancements

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday issued two Safari betas to developers with PDF viewing and annotation enhancements, as well as autofill improvements, among other changes.

Safari

According to AppleInsider reader Gregg, Apple seeded Safari 6.1.1 for OS X 10.7.5 Lion and OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion, as well as Safari 7.0.1 for OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

Apple is asking developers to concentrate on viewing and annotating PDFs, login and password autofill and Web Inspector functions, along with general website compatibility and accessibility features.

The company gave no indication as to when the software would be ready for pubic consumption, but the latest Safari could be released in the coming weeks.

Developers can download Safari 6.1.1 and 7.0.1 from Apple's Developer Center now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Pubic consumption. Yum.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    [COLOR=blue][/COLOR]I'd rather see them address the safari crashing on my iOS7 devices. Yes, even after 7.0.4
  • Reply 3 of 14

Enhancements? About just allowing me to view a PDF in Safari. Since Mavericks DP2 clicking a PDF link inside Safari brings me nothing but a page full of its binary content...

• Reply 4 of 14
    djames4242 wrote: »
    Enhancements? About just allowing me to view a PDF in Safari. Since Mavericks DP2 clicking a PDF link inside Safari brings me nothing but a page full of its binary content...

Reminds me of my undergrad computer science days! Coding something for hours only to have 856,376,259,192^256 unprintable characters fill my screen! Memories...
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Safari brings me nothing but a page full of its binary content

If by chance you had previous version of Safari set to download PDFs instead of viewing them in-browser (by using this hidden preference in Terminal or using some shareware utility that does the same thing -- you know, the secret pref settings kind of util.) you will need to UNDO (reset) that pref setting for Mavericks b/c this option is no longer avail. and will lead to what you described. IOW, that "hack" no longer works -- you won't be able to download PDFs with a normal click as you could in ML and earlier -- and it will screw up your viewing as you said. RESET it with:

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool NO

Restart Safari.

• Reply 6 of 14
    Thanks gspears, I may have to do that.
    However I'm in the habit of wiping the drive and installing new OSes from scratch. I made two Mavericks USB install disks to do exactly that. It is a holdover from my I.T. & Windows days.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I'd rather see them address the safari crashing on my iOS7 devices. Yes, even after 7.0.4

Webkit 2 and WebKit proper has gone through a complete gutting of Google and Qt Toolkit ports. They are moving rapidly ahead with C++11 isms along with LLVM/Clang.

The modularity and scalability of WebKit 2 will be felt sooner, rather than later. You'll be glad they bit the bullet now. Bits for these testings will make it into iOS.

• Reply 8 of 14

Web Developers should read up on some of the articles detailing advances in Safari:

http://planet.webkit.org/

• Reply 9 of 14
    How about fixing the ability to paste into the Safari search bar !!

Safari 7 killed it, now anytime I paste text & search, Safari fills in spaces with %20
    e.g.: "paste into the Safari search bar" (quotes added) after hitting enter becomes:
    http://paste into the safari search bar

with a note that "Safari can't find the server".

I can paste into Chrome just fine.
  • Reply 10 of 14

I hope a lot more than just PDF and auto fill. Safari locks up my iMac at least 2-3 per month! 

• Reply 11 of 14
    Not showing up for me yet (Germany)... Download link takes me to an empty page...
  • Reply 12 of 14
    How about fixing the ability to paste into the Safari search bar !!

Safari 7 killed it, now anytime I paste text & search, Safari fills in spaces with %20
    e.g.: "paste into the Safari search bar" (quotes added) after hitting enter becomes:
    http://paste into the safari search bar

with a note that "Safari can't find the server".

I can paste into Chrome just fine.

I can past text to search bar just fine it even gives me choice to search with google, bing or other & list of bookmarks or history related to that searched!
    Maybe it's a term which is bad for your browser, computer or just maybe your wife or girlfriend now has admin privileges & it bad for your viewing.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Web Developers should read up on some of the articles detailing advances in Safari:

http://planet.webkit.org/

I really like this site because of people like you. thanks

• Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gspears View Post

If by chance you had previous version of Safari set to download PDFs instead of viewing them in-browser (by using this hidden preference in Terminal or using some shareware utility that does the same thing -- you know, the secret pref settings kind of util.) you will need to UNDO (reset) that pref setting for Mavericks b/c this option is no longer avail. and will lead to what you described. IOW, that "hack" no longer works -- you won't be able to download PDFs with a normal click as you could in ML and earlier -- and it will screw up your viewing as you said. RESET it with:

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool NO

Restart Safari.

Yeah, thanks - I've tried that. Flipped it on and off a few times, restarted, disabled extensions and plugins. Still not working for me, unfortunately. I'm sure it's something simple and stupid since it only seems to be happening to me :)