Official Apple Store app for iPad debuts on iOS

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The iPad gained a bespoke Apple shopping experience Wednesday as a new Apple Store app designed specifically for the company's tablets hit the App Store, bringing a gesture-based user interface and a listing of trending products.

Apple Store for iPad

Apple Store for iPad, a separate download from its iPhone counterpart, has several unique features designed to take advantage of the increased screen real estate available on the iPad. The number of products shown on screen for a particular category, for example, can be changed by pinching in or out --?the most dense view removes text from the display entirely, leaving only a six-by-four grid of product photos.

Individual product detail pages utilize a split pane view similar to that found in the iPad-based smart displays in Apple's retail stores. Customers can purchase and customize products directly from the app, including specifying engraving for iPads and iPods and designating a purchase for in-store Personal Pickup.

Apple Store for iPad

Other iPad-only additions include a new "Now Trending" section which shows a dynamic listing of currently-popular products based on what users buy, share socially, or review, and a map view for the app's retail store finder that plots area locations on an overhead map, which can also be overlaid with availability information for specific products.

Apple Store for iPad is available now as a free, 22-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    I don't see it yet
  • Reply 2 of 35
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Well it's about time! I guess that I can delete the iPhone version from my iPads now.

• Reply 3 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaleelhamid View Post

I don't see it yet

It's there, because I just downloaded it. 

• Reply 4 of 35
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jaleelhamid View Post

I don't see it yet

Go through the link in the article and it finds it. The App Store hasn't been updated to list it when clicking on Apps Made by Apple or even when searching for it. 

• Reply 5 of 35

Why is it two apps? Why? Apple, what’s going on with you?

Less important is the fact that WWDC’s videos are two apps. How could it have been hard to just update the old one? I don’t like these little cracks.

• Reply 6 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

The App Store hasn't been updated to list it when clicking on Apps Made by Apple or even when searching for it. 

I found it by searching for it, I didn't click on the link.

I searched for Apple Store App, and listed iPad only apps, it showed up.

• Reply 7 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Not a universal app? Interesting. 22Mb hardly warrants them separating the apps, especially given they would be reusing certain elements.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    What happened to Stores? Old version had a prominent button to take you to your local Apple Store for Genius Bar appointment, etc. Couldn't even find it on search. Many non- intuitive interface features such as no indication that you should swipe the product menu at the top for more choices (an arrow head or ellipsis, nothing.) When you drill down there's no way to get back to the home page. Minimalism in the service of minimalism. I hate this app. Thank god the old one is still on my iPad.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I found it by searching for it, I didn't click on the link.

I searched for Apple Store App, and listed iPad only apps, it showed up.

I finally found it at the end of the iPad Apps for Apple. Once I switched the sort to release date it popped up first. It still isn't showing up in the search results for Apple Apps. 

• Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

What happened to Stores?

On the menu on top, you just click on Apple Retail Store.

Then, on the next screen when you get to your store, you can choose from Genius Bar, Workshops and My Reservations.

I haven't really used the iPhone version much, but this iPad version doesn't seem difficult at all.

• Reply 11 of 35

It seems it is a separate app due to requiring iOS 7 while the app for iPhone requires iOS 6

• Reply 12 of 35
    Good idea : )
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Go buy a Nexus7 and see how their apps are.  Report to us your findings next week Tuesday

And that’s somehow an excuse for Apple to do worse than is possible? Come on.

• Reply 14 of 35
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    And that’s somehow an excuse for Apple to do worse than is possible? Come on.
    Did you actually try the app? It's actually quite nice. What's the big deal if it's universal or not? I rather like having an app specifically designed for iPad to take advantage of the bigger display.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Did you actually try the app? It's actually quite nice.

I’m sure it is. That’s not in the slightest what I’m discussing.

What's the big deal if it's universal or not?

Explain why the same app needs to be two apps, then. Explain why it makes sense for Apple–the company known for simplicity over all others–to have two apps that do the same thing.

• Reply 16 of 35
    ireland wrote: »
    Not a universal app? Interesting. 22Mb hardly warrants them separating the apps, especially given they would be reusing certain elements.

It's so they can charge you twice for the app. /s
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Give Android a shot and see how wonderful it is.

Not an argument. At all. Either discuss properly or don’t bother replying.

Oh the font is different

Speaking of which, Bing changed its font yesterday to one of the Windows staple fonts.

It’s absolutely hideous. Just about everything that can be wrong about a font is wrong here.

• Reply 18 of 35
    Finally after years of waiting.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I’m sure it is. That’s not in the slightest what I’m discussing.

Explain why the same app needs to be two apps, then. Explain why it makes sense for Apple–the company known for simplicity over all others–to have two apps that do the same thing.
    But they don't do the exact same thing do they? The iPad app was specifically designed for the iPad. Not just a blown up iPhone app.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But they don't do the exact same thing do they? The iPad app was specifically designed for the iPad. Not just a blown up iPhone app.

I highlighted your post to see if there was anything hidden in white to explain this. There wasn’t.