Rumor: Apple field testing 'iPhone 6' with 4.9-inch display

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Apple has begun field trials of a next-generation iPhone sporting a larger, 4.9-inch display, according to new information from one popular tech-focused Far East website.

iPhone Plus
Mockup of iPhone with 4.94-inch screen, created by Marco Arment.

The report, from hit-and-miss Chinese blog C Technology, conforms with prior assertions from well-connected Taiwanese analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities. Kuo had previously predicted that 2014 would bring an Apple-branded handset with a 4.5-inch to 5-inch display.

Kuo does not believe the Cupertino, Calif.-based company will extend the iPhone display beyond the 5-inch diagonal mark due to their "unwavering principle of one hand use."

Not much is known about the so-called "iPhone 6," with Apple just two months removed from the release of its newest flagship iPhone 5s and mid-range iPhone 5c. Speculation has thus far centered mainly on the display, with Bloomberg reporting earlier this month that two new models featuring larger displays and cover glass that curves around the device's edges may be in the offing for a late 2014 release.

The Bloomberg report came on the heels of a September missive from Japanese magazine Mac Fan which claimed Apple's next-generation handset would feature a 5-inch display with a 1,920-by-1,080-pixel resolution. That report also tipped thinner bezels for the smartphone.

Many industry observers believe that Apple must increase the size of the iPhone's display in order to better match up with larger-screened devices from competitors like Motorola and Samsung whose displays routinely exceed 5 inches, with some as large as 6.3 inches on the diagonal. Apple is known to take a cautious approach to changes such as these in order to avoid the ecosystem fragmentation that plagues rival mobile platform Android.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 137
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Notice how the 4.94 screen size in the image is roughly the same size as the entire iPhone 5. To me there's good reason to think the iPhone 6's front will be all screen — So same size as iPhone 5 in the end and not a bigger phone at all.
  • Reply 2 of 137
    "Give me back the 3.5" and you'll rule my world"

Or at least, don't make the phone itself bigger. Do whatever you want with the display, just don't have it running down the sides as well.
  • Reply 3 of 137
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Next rumor: iPhone 7 with 7" display, NFC, bells, whistles, stylus, fanny pack, touch ID, Palm ID, retina scanner, blood-sugar tester, etc
  • Reply 4 of 137
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What's the big deal about these rumors? Of course Apple is testing phones with different screen sizes. I'm sure they have been for years. And no it won't be a shock if next year Apple releases a new iPhone with a bigger screen.
  • Reply 5 of 137
    jungmark wrote: »
    Next rumor: iPhone 7 with 7" display, NFC, bells, whistles, stylus, fanny pack, touch ID, Palm ID, retina scanner, blood-sugar tester, etc

Wasn't there already a rumour about a 12.9" iPhone? I know the article read iPad, but it was a rumour, right?
  • Reply 6 of 137
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Honestly who would want such a large cell phone? I'm still using my iPhone 4 because it is significantly smaller than the current offerings. If I need a big screen I can grab an iPad, for something to slip in ones pants small is beautiful.
  • Reply 7 of 137

The current iPhone design has too much top and bottom bezel for a large-screen phone. It would be almost as long as that Android with a 5.5 in screen.

• Reply 8 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Honestly who would want such a large cell phone? I'm still using my iPhone 4 because it is significantly smaller than the current offerings. If I need a big screen I can grab an iPad, for something to slip in ones pants small is beautiful.

Different people like different stuff. I've messed around with my brother's Note phone and it may not be for everyone, but it's a nice phone.

• Reply 9 of 137
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    I think the bezels will be reduced. Question is, what about the resolution?
  • Reply 10 of 137
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I don't want a bigger phone, but a bigger screen is always nice. The only way they can do this (and I've been saying this for at least since the iPhone 5 rumors) is to make the thing ALL SCREEN. This would be a crazy achievement if they can do it since they would have to embed the TouchID, speaker, camera, and proximity sensor into and behind the screen, or possibly on the very edges of it. That would be pretty amazing though.
  • Reply 11 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What's the big deal about these rumors? Of course Apple is testing phones with different screen sizes. I'm sure they have been for years. And no it won't be a shock if next year Apple releases a new iPhone with a bigger screen.

Best post on this topic! If nothing else it's about choice....and what's wrong with that?

• Reply 12 of 137
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

I bet ya it won't be that large. 4.6" or 4.7"

• Reply 13 of 137
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Best post on this topic! If nothing else it's about choice....and what's wrong with that?
    I won't be surprised if the next iPhone takes iPad mini/Air cues in terms of design. Basically an iPod touch that's only as thick as needed for camera and battery life.
  • Reply 14 of 137
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    ireland wrote: »
    I bet ya it won't be that large. 4.6" or 4.7"

I think this rumor, factual or not, stems from an assumption Apple will use their 9.7" iPad display panels and still use the same resolution as the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 15 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I won't be surprised if the next iPhone takes iPad mini/Air cues in terms of design. Basically an iPod touch that's only as thick as needed for camera and battery life.

It's going to be interesting to see where Apple goes with this. The first time I picked up an iPhone 5, I was amazed at how light it was compared to my 4s. I just went to the Apple store yesterday to hold an iPad Air and a RMini. Just two beautiful machines...I want to get both!  I'll most likely get the RMini just for max mobility! :)

Best

• Reply 16 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

I don't want a bigger phone, but a bigger screen is always nice. The only way they can do this (and I've been saying this for at least since the iPhone 5 rumors) is to make the thing ALL SCREEN. This would be a crazy achievement if they can do it since they would have to embed the TouchID, speaker, camera, and proximity sensor into and behind the screen, or possibly on the very edges of it. That would be pretty amazing though.

I'm not sure if such technology exists, but how about piezo pixels within the matrix that not only changed color but also vibrated to create sound? Heck, do away with the normal speakers at the bottom, and use the whole screen as a big speaker. And also embed Touch ID to the bottom half of the screen for good measure.

• Reply 17 of 137
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

I think this rumor, factual or not, stems from an assumption Apple will use their 9.7" iPad display panels and still use the same resolution as the iPhone 5.

If that created a good product then yes, but I don't see 4.9" is a good size for an iPhone. Going from 3.5 to 4" made a huge difference, going from 4 to 4.6 or 4.7" would make an ever bigger difference (yes I know they'll be keeping the 4" iPhone around, and that it will remain the more popular model).

• Reply 18 of 137
    ireland wrote: »
    If that created a good product then yes, but I don't see 4.9" is a good size for an iPhone. Going from 3.5 to 4" made a huge difference, going from 4 to 4.6 or 4.7" would make an ever bigger difference (yes I know they'll be keeping the 4" iPhone around, and that it will remain the more popular model).

I have my doubts that using the same resolution on a display that is slightly over 50% more area would be a good experience. Perhaps if they were going to scale the iPad to a higher resolution down the road and this was something they did first on a smaller display scale then I could see it happening, but it all seems very doubtful to me.
  • Reply 19 of 137
    It's going to be interesting to see where Apple goes with this. The first time I picked up an iPhone 5, I was amazed at how light it was compared to my 4s. I just went to the Apple store yesterday to hold an iPad Air and a RMini. Just two beautiful machines...I want to get both!  I'll most likely get the RMini just for max mobility! :)

Best

What's really amazing is that you notice the weigh and thickness difference going to the lighter and thinner design but it's nothing compared to how much you noticed how heavy and thick the 4/4S after using the 5/5S for a couple weeks. It's almost shocking.
  • Reply 20 of 137
    I can see iPhone moving to a multi size lineup, just like iPad. iPhone 6 in 4.9" & 4", plus the 5c moves to free. Apple doesn't have a good track record with the XL name (remember Mac XL?).