unable to log into mail/.mac with iBook/iMac connected via airport

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi. I got myself a new ibook the other day and was going to get an airport base station but a friend told me that with 10.2 if I had an airport card in both my main computer being an iMac connected to the net via cable modem, and the ibook, then I can connect to net using the iMac connection, aswell as access files on the iMac HD.

This all works just fine. I was downloading files fom the iMac to the ibook no probs, and surfing the net no probs.

The problem is that if I try and get my mail programme on the ibook to log into my .mac account it will not send or recieve any mail, the progress wheel just spins away. The settings are exactly the same as the iMac yet the iMac has no problems sending or recieving mail. If I try and log into my .Mac account thru a browser it will not log into that account either.

All the settings are identical on the iMac as the iBook, but the ibook cannot get into my .mac account. Infact the iBook using mac mail cannot check any mail servers ie: my ISP mail.

I dont seem to be able to use iSync on the iBook either, although it did seem to work last night for a brief moment. iSync works fine on the iMac though

If I connect the iBook directly to the ethernet cable, or by using dial up to get on the net, then I can send/receive mail aswell as log on to my .Mac account no problem at all.

I am all new to this wireless thing, but obviously something is a miss or maybe the system is just designed that way ??. Can someone please tel me am I dont something wrong, or is this just how its supposed to be ???.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments