Apple's iPhone, iPad used to place over 80% of mobile sales on Black Friday

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's iOS products not only represented a large chunk of U.S. Black Friday sales, but where also used to place the vast majority of mobile purchases.

A series of regular reports by IBM's Digital Analytics Benchmark group, tracking a "digital analytics platform that tracks millions of transactions and analyzes terabytes of raw data from approximately 800 retail sites nationwide," profilied the week's shopping by mobile users.

IBM highlighted that buyers' use of mobile devices for shopping was up 9 percent over last year, and that mobile devices now account for 37 percent of all shopping traffic and 21 percent of online sales.

In general, smartphones drove twice as much traffic as tablets, but tablet users actually placed 1.5x as many sales, accounting for 13.2 percent of online purchases compared to just 7.8 percent for smartphones.

iOS leads Android in mobile shopping

However, when breaking down those numbers by mobile platform, IBM reported that iOS devices accounted for more than 4.5 times the total sales of Android or over an 80 percent share of mobile-oriented sales (above), with 17.3 percent of all online sales occurring on an Apple mobile device versus just 3.75 percent on Android products.

IBM stated that iOS users also spent an average of 18 percent more per order: $131.34 versus $111.35 for average Android sales.

Apple's iOS devices also made up 26 percent of all overall mobile traffic, compared to just 11 percent for Android. Microsoft's Windows Phone, BlackBerry and other mobile platforms didn't represent enough activity to mention.

The leading share of online shopping grabbed by iOS users parallels the 84 percent share of tablets claimed by iPad in Chitika's web analytics, the leading share taken by iOS in app developer's revenue seen per download, and the over 80 percent usage stats reported among education and enterprise users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Bassackwardly wrong and misleading title.  iOS devices did not account for 80% of Black Friday shopping lol.  They did not even account for 80% of online shopping.  They accounted for 80% of the 37% of online sales.

Still very impressive, but not even close to what the headline suggests.  Sounding sensational is good, but the headline should at least be accurate.

• Reply 2 of 47
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    frood wrote: »
    Bassackwardly wrong and misleading title.  iOS devices did not account for 80% of Black Friday shopping lol.  They did not even account for 80% of online shopping.  They accounted for 80% of the 37% of online sales.

Still very impressive, but not even close to what the headline suggests.  Sounding sensational is good, but the headline should at least be accurate.

Did they change the title since you posted?

"Apple's iPhone, iPad used to place over 80% of mobile sales on Black Friday"
  • Reply 3 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

No, the 37% is the the share of online traffic performed by mobile devices.

Apple’s share of actual sales made on mobile devices is 82%. 

• Reply 4 of 47
    Let's see how the news media manages to spin this into an Android positive article. I'm sure they'll find some way into turning iOS into the losing platform. I guess they can just say these are statistics that can be ignored and that only the platform with the highest global market share matters. That's how it usually turns out, anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 47

Yeah, see, that’s exactly what the title and article says, boyo.

Maybe just go back to C|Net. You don’t seem to fit in here.

• Reply 6 of 47
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    No, the 37% is the the share of online traffic performed by mobile devices.

Apple’s share of actual sales made on mobile devices is 82%. 

That's what the OP said.
  • Reply 7 of 47

That is freaking impressive.

But is it true?

I mean most of Android phones are not ’’clever’ phones, i doubt people buy more ’’clever’’ phones than the plain ones.

• Reply 8 of 47
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ochyming wrote: »
    But is it true?
    I mean most of Android phones are not ’’clever’ phones, i doubt people buy more ’’clever’’ phones than the plain ones.

If you believe IBM's Digital Analytics Benchmark it is.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

But is it true?

This articles isn't about purchases of iOS or Android devices. It's about purchasing done using iOS and Android devices.

• Reply 10 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foad View Post

This articles isn't about purchases of iOS or Android devices. It's about purchasing done using iOS and Android devices.

Yes.

iPhone users are people with better bank account, and they surpass ( in ’’buying’’ power ) the amount of people with Android phones, both with so called smart phones and the not smart ones?

Impressive!

And it also shows how the USA economy is f**ed up.

• Reply 11 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Jesus, can’t you read. The title says “mobile sales,” not total sales, not online sales, MOBILE SALES! for chrissake. The title is not misleading in any way. Moses in the weeds, get a clue.

• Reply 12 of 47
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Jesus, can’t you read. The title says “mobile sales,” not total sales, not online sales, MOBILE SALES! for chrissake. The title is not misleading in any way. Moses in the weeds, get a clue.

AI does change titles after they post so it's not unreasonable to think they could have changed it here. The time frame seems to short but I don't think we can say definitively that didn't happen.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    solipsismx wrote: »
    AI does change titles after they post so it's not unreasonable to think they could have changed it here. The time frame seems to short but I don't think we can say definitively that didn't happen.

The image title says 82% of Black Friday Shopping. It was probably just shortened to be snappier as the diagram clearly shows what is meant by it.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

If you believe IBM's Digital Analytics Benchmark it is.

We shouldn't believe IBM. They said pretty much the same thing last year (iOS dominating Android for online sales on Black Friday).

It's impossible that iOS, with such a small market share, can do so well against all those Android devices. Equally impossible is the data IBM provided that said the average iOS user spent $131 while the average Android user spent $111.

There are only two possible reasons for this discrepancy:

- IBM is being sponsored by Apple, so the numbers are "adjusted" to make Apple look good.

- All those Android owners changed their user agents, and IBM's analytics is too stupid to notice.

Here are some quotes from Jay Henderson from IBM in regards to how they get their data:

"We are able to determine the source of online retail shopping traffic, where sales are coming from, breakouts between devices (tablets versus smartphone), and even differences between operating systems (Apple vs. Android),"

"For example, in the early part of November, IBM noticed that even though Android devices have a greater market share, online shopping was dominated by consumers using iPhones, indicating device market share doesn’t necessarily translate into shopping behavior."

"In contrast, the IBM Digital Analytics Benchmark campaign uniquely provides real-time, detailed results by channel and device. This enables marketers and retailers to adjust their plans on-the-fly in a way they have never been able to do before."

Can you believe the garbage he's spewing? The only company that can provide that kind of real-time data is Google. Not Apple, MS or even IBM. Proof that they were paid by Apple to come up with these fake numbers.

• Reply 15 of 47
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Another lesson here, a web store using Flash is either shooting itself in the foot, or willfully ignoring at least 80% of mobile customers.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Another lesson here, a web store using Flash is either shooting itself in the foot, or willfully ignoring at least 80% of mobile customers.

Do any major stores use Flash anymore, or at least use it exclusively without having a redirect to a mobile site?

I just did a quick (admittedly anecdotal) test, and my iPad was able to connect to all of these:

H&M

Nordstrom

Bergdorf Goodman

Saks

Macy's

Burberry

So, I'd be surprised if any major retailers were relying on Flash at this point.  As I said, that was just a quick, anecdotal check.  But I can't remember the last time I couldn't connect to a site because it was all Flash.

• Reply 17 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, see, that’s exactly what the title and article says, boyo.

Maybe just go back to C|Net. You don’t seem to fit in here.

boyo?   Really?

Didn't they just take the muzzle off?

The author apparently agreed with me since he changed the misleading, and inaccurate, original headline.  The content of the article is (and was originally) accurate.  The problem is when you read a fabulous headline, and then the article reflects quite a bit less than the headline, it appears to diminish Apple's success.  Apple is doing great and doesn't need the embellishment.  I'll write it off as a quick oversight or zealous enthusiasm, but this isn't the first time and most likely not the last.  The research and actual data in the content is, as usual, well researched, factual, and more than slightly biased (which I'm very okay with- this is Apple Insider, bias is okay as long as the data and statements are accurate).

If fitting in here means accepting wild inaccuracies as long as they are pro Apple, then you would be right.  I don't believe the majority of the users here agree with your desire to live in Apple fantasy land or condone your generally abusive and childish posting style.

• Reply 18 of 47
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    iOS users have larger families and are more generous or Androiders are hermits and cheap.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    We shouldn't believe IBM. They said pretty much the same thing last year (iOS dominating Android for online sales on Black Friday).

It's impossible that iOS, with such a small market share, can do so well against all those Android devices. Equally impossible is the data IBM provided that said the average iOS user spent $131 while the average Android user spent $111.

There are only two possible reasons for this discrepancy:

- IBM is being sponsored by Apple, so the numbers are "adjusted" to make Apple look good.
    - All those Android owners changed their user agents, and IBM's analytics is too stupid to notice.

You missed a few reasons (much more likely)

- The Android market share numbers are simply false.
    - Many Android phones are simply feature phones like the Galaxy Y.

Even Google has commented that 2/3 of their mobile revenue comes from iOS and that is when Android had their fantasy 70% market share.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Did they change the title since you posted?

"Apple's iPhone, iPad used to place over 80% of mobile sales on Black Friday"

Yes, they did.  The new title is not only impressive for Apple, but also accurate =)