iPhone preorders through China Mobile to begin this week - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
China Mobile, the largest wireless carrier in the world, will begin accepting preorders for Apple's iPhone this Thursday ahead of a formal launch later this month, according to a new report.

Suzhou

An unnamed representative for China Mobile confirmed to The Wall Street Journal on Monday that the carrier will begin taking preorders from customers later this week. It's expected that the iPhone will officially launch on China Mobile Dec. 18.

The carrier began taking preorders for smartphones with 4G LTE high-speed connectivity on Monday. Though the iPhone 5s was originally shown on the company's site, users could only preorder devices from companies like Samsung and Lenovo.

The representative who confirmed that iPhone preorders will begin on Thursday indicated that the company's customer services team has not yet been provided details on pricing plans for Apple's smartphone lineup.

Expectations of a Dec. 18 launch have persisted for weeks, though China Mobile itself attempted to pour cold water on those reports last week, when the carrier denied that a deal with Apple had been finalized. Instead, China Mobile insisted that talks with Apple were ongoing.

Anticipation of a deal between Apple and China Mobile has been high, particularly among investors, as the carrier boasts some 759 million subscribers, making it the largest wireless provider in the world. China Mobile is gearing up to launch its 4G TD-LTE network later this month, and Apple's new iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s are both expected to sport compatibility.

Analysts believe availability of the iPhone through China Mobile will add $10 billion in revenue to Apple's bottom line in calendar 2014. It's been predicted that China Mobile customers could buy an additional 17 million iPhones next year, representing about 10 percent of the current smartphone install base at the carrier.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Makes sense for both companies.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    The market does not seem to really believe this fully yet -- too many 'wolf' cries. Not much of a bump up in pre-trading.

I think that a major reaction will await the actual formal announcement.
  • Reply 3 of 14

It'll be interesting to see how well Apple can keep up with the pent-up demand for these products in this new market.

• Reply 4 of 14
    Talk about building excitement!

An agreement was signed. An agreement was not signed. Preorders are being accepted.

500,000 iPhones per day are being built.

I think Tim Cook's three-day worldwide 9 million iPhone sales record is about to be shattered by one telephone company in one country in when the iPhones 5s and C officially become available.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    The china mobile deal is not only business to business , it is also political to political .

By looking at the face of USA Vice President when he visited china , u know china won't send this gift to America.

Nobody seems to talk about what will happen to aapl if the deal isn't inked .
  • Reply 6 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The china mobile deal is not only business to business , it is also political to political .

By looking at the face of USA Vice President when he visited china , u know china won't send this gift to America.

I hate to imagine the talks ... "Mr Vice President, agree to our new territorial waters expansion zone or we won't sign with Apple " ....
  • Reply 7 of 14

Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

OMG !  Guess Apple is really Doomed!  Any suggestions from your bright mind? /s

• Reply 8 of 14
    For the record, 4G phones have been around for months. I see an open banner street event 10weeks prior to any announcement, it's been on poster boards around where I am so over 6months now.

iPhones 5S/C already released in china at same time as USA etc.
    Officially launched is rubbish, but I would not pay the local inflated prices.

Last Saturday I went to china mobile shop as my wife wanted a new upgrade package on her iphons5.

4G phones, all be it low end models, as Huawei and others for sell there and then, contracts by almost all visitors were for the 4G network.

I see around 5 people carrying iPhone 5S gold, much like myself.
    there will be some initial demand but not what people expect and I am sure Apple know this. The reason is there are dam rich people and most who'd buy one will do so already.

From memory.
    Prices for 4G started at 70RMB / month. (just over 10USD) this included a special offer for 500GB free 4G data on-top of the 300MB for two year contract.

Also the customer services person said and iPhone 5S/C from Hong Kong should also work fine with the China Mobile network with 4G.

The bonus data related to the local province, for most this is hardly an issue.

PS I work/live in Shenzhen, Guangdong, close to HK Border. for over 5years. And I am English.

As for political issues this you find is crap, Chinese business do not think anything about this, if there is a market and a profit. no relevance to governments. Apple / China Mobile deal is natural. As long as it stops me seeing 3nd rate Galaxy phones going to work then I be happier.

I been using 3G Unicom here, frankly 4G will not be much better and I don't want change my 6USD a month deal, it's speed is greater then the speed I get back in UK when I visit, go figure!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Based on the above ad which says the number of reservation is only less than 10k which is enough to push aapl down .
  • Reply 10 of 14

I am very excited and ready to see the dive of AAPL on 18th. FROM that day , u will become like me who disregard whatever news about Apple from Wall Shit Journal.

ONLY stupid will trust the so-called source from WALL SHIT journal which has a long history of posting misleading news of AAPL.

CHINA MOBILE has denied .

UPDATE: A China Mobile spokesman told CNN's Beijing bureau Tuesday that there was no deal yet with Apple (AAPL) and that the Suzhou site was not "official." He left open the possibility that it was some kind of test or experiment.

THINKING OF why CHINA MOBILE website has iphone?  Look at the photos below.

Thinking of why there is POSTER from china mobile to sell iphone?

Thinking of the so-called PRE order website?

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://xq.139life.com/ask/company/index.jsp?subjectId=3939539&sID=39856969F2FA1D0A394FAD1C179FBE70&act=url

The questionaire has finished.

TIME TO WAKE UP , dude!!!!

• Reply 11 of 14
    What will happen to aapl if people start to know the china mobile deal is only CHINA Mobile becomes Apple online retailer?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover go_quote.gif

OMG !  Guess Apple is really Doomed!  Any suggestions from your bright mind? /s

as your said , I have bright mind
  • Reply 13 of 14
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    In a bit of a surprise not only is the announcement of an Apple deal not yet made, the chairman of China Mobile essentially says what deal are you talking about, there's not one to announce.:err: :???: Gotta be strange trying to deal with China.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    gatorguy wrote: »
    In a bit of a surprise not only is the announcement of an Apple deal not yet made, the chairman of China Mobile essentially says what deal are you talking about, there's not one to announce.:err: :???: Gotta be strange trying to deal with China.

It's not an uncommon business tactic in China to try to screw over the other party even after a deal is supposedly done. China Mobile could continue to make demands well after an agreement is in place. Once Apple tells them the deal is off, they will become more accommodating...as long as CHL really wants the iPhone.