Apple catches up with iPhone 5s demand, achieves full availability at its stores

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple appears to have completely caught up with consumer demand for its flagship iPhone 5s, with a new survey of the company's retail stores finding all models completely in stock at all locations.

Retail
An Apple Store grand opening in October. Credit: AppleInsider reader Ryan.

The research team at investment firm Piper Jaffray has conducted bi-weekly polls of 60 U.S. Apple Stores. They found that as of last week, all models of the iPhone 5s were 100 percent in stock at all locations polled.

That availability even includes unlocked iPhone 5s models, which can be purchased at full unsubsidized pricing starting at $649 for the 16-gigabyte entry-level capacity.

Analyst Gene Munster said the survey shows that supply of the iPhone 5s has improved "dramatically" from just two weeks ago, when only 24 percent of Apple's retail stores were found to have all iPhone models in stock. In contrast, just 8 percent of Apple's stores had full iPhone availability at the start of October.

"We believe Apple has caught up to demand, which we had expected ahead of the core holiday period," Munster wrote. "In reflecting on the supply for the 5S product launch overall, we believe that net-net Apple has done a better job in supplying stores with phones proportional to demand."

Piper Jaffray
Source: Piper Jaffray.

Complete retail availability of the iPhone 5s comes as online shipping times have also improved to just one to three days for all models. Shipping times have expedited quickly, improving from three to five days just a few weeks ago.

Since its launch in September, the iPhone 5s has faced supply constraints as Apple was reportedly affected by low yields of the Touch ID fingerprint sensor. Reports from Apple's supply chain suggested the company was having difficulty ramping up production to its usual levels.

Supply of the iPhone 5s was said to be plentiful over the Black Friday holiday shopping weekend at both Apple's own retail stores, U.S. carrier partners AT&T, Verizon and Sprint, and resellers such as Best Buy and Walmart.

Piper Jaffray has predicted that iPhone sales will grow 16 percent year over year in the current December quarter. Munster has also forecast that iPhone sales in the March 2014 quarter will grow 12 percent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Compared to the iMac fiasco last year, it would seem that Cook and team have done a brilliant job managing the rollouts of the iPhone and the iPad.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I knew just from the headline that this would be from Gene Munster. He's about as accurate as DigiTimes. Don't forget he's the one who claimed 3.5-4 million of the 9M iPhone opening weekend sales were 5C "channel fill". And then sites like Business Insider ran with it claiming Apple's "real" sales figures were only 5-6M. Munster is not worthy of space on any Apple news site. :no:
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I knew just from the headline that this would be from Gene Munster. He's about as accurate as DigiTimes. Don't forget he's the one who claimed 3.5-4 million of the 9M iPhone opening weekend sales were 5C "channel fill". And then sites like Business Insider ran with it claiming Apple's "real" sales figures were only 5-6M. Munster is not worthy of space on any Apple news site. image

I don't know... when it comes to store sales, Piper and Munster are the actually on the ground monitoring sales.  Gene's problem is when he needs to extrapolate to world wide sales and costs.   I would take his view of  US physical store sales and inventory as pretty solid.  

• Reply 4 of 33
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Not a moment too soon either. It would have been disastrous for them to not have adequate iPhone 5S supply over the holiday season. 

• Reply 5 of 33
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    iPhone demand falls as supply outstrips demand. Apple is doomed!!
  • Reply 6 of 33
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    When Apple supply can't meet demand:

"This is just irresponsible!"
    "They should have anticipated the exact level of demand and ensured that everyone gets an iPhone!"
    "I have to wait a week for an iPhone. This is bullshit. I'm moving to Android."
    "No wonder they're losing the market share battle! No one can get iPhones the very second they conceive of possibly thinking about maybe wanting one!"

When Apple supply meets demand:

"Nobody wants iPhones anymore."
    "Now everyone has an iPhone. This is bullshit. I'm moving to Android."
    "iOS is stale and boring!"
    And inexplicably ... "Tim Cook should be fired! He's not an ideas man!"
  • Reply 7 of 33
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Compared to the iMac fiasco last year, it would seem that Cook and team have done a brilliant job managing the rollouts of the iPhone and the iPad.

I'd use a different word for that, but yeah, 'could've been rolled out better'.

I wish them well with the new MP!
  • Reply 8 of 33
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    When Apple supply can't meet demand:

"This is just irresponsible!"
    "They should have anticipated the exact level of demand and ensured that everyone gets an iPhone!"
    "I have to wait a week for an iPhone. This is bullshit. I'm moving to Android."
    "No wonder they're losing the market share battle! No one can get iPhones the very second they conceive of possibly thinking about maybe wanting one!"

When Apple supply meets demand:

"Nobody wants iPhones anymore."
    "Now everyone has an iPhone. This is bullshit. I'm moving to Android."
    "iOS is stale and boring!"
    And inexplicably ... "Tim Cook should be fired! He's not an ideas man!"

Add a fifth: "Tim Cook finally may have learned how to do his job and is not bungling this rollout like he did the relatively easy iMac screen lamination fiasco last year. But just to show I don't trust him, I'm going to remind everybody that he's on my watch list for a few more years."
  • Reply 9 of 33

As always, wait a little over a month to get the one you want......and get the first batch bugs out of the way.  

• Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I'd use a different word for that, but yeah, 'could've been rolled out better'.

I wish them well with the new MP!

After reading that definition I still would have called it a fiasco.

PC strength had been waning considerably at that time and the last thing that Apple needed was to not be able to push out the Macs that had been promised.

When your competition is on the ropes it's not the time to go to your corner.

At the time, the rollout was a complete failure and I'd say it was embarrassing... but that's my opinion.

• Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I knew just from the headline that this would be from Gene Munster. He's about as accurate as DigiTimes. Don't forget he's the one who claimed 3.5-4 million of the 9M iPhone opening weekend sales were 5C "channel fill". And then sites like Business Insider ran with it claiming Apple's "real" sales figures were only 5-6M. Munster is not worthy of space on any Apple news site. image

Did anyone ever disprove his numbers concerning channel fill?

• Reply 12 of 33
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I guess I can get my 5S now.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I guess I can get my 5S now.

Me too.

• Reply 14 of 33
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

PC strength had been waning considerably at that time and the last thing that Apple needed was to not be able to push out the Macs that had been promised.

At the time, the rollout was a complete failure and I'd say it was embarrassing... but that's my opinion.

Tell us WHY the iMac had production problems and maybe your scolding will not seem like such hollow bloviation.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Nothing comes without costs. We should all pause a moment to remember those doing dull, repetitive, tedious work on assembly lines far away to make this possible.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Nothing comes without costs. We should all pause a moment to remember those doing dull, repetitive, tedious work on assembly lines far away to make this possible.

Enough of this BS.

• Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Enough of this BS.

"BS," now let me see. Does that mean "Bettering Society," "Beautiful & Sweet" or perhaps something less thoughtful about all those drudging away in those huge factories in China.

I can remember, just barely, the dull old days of Eisenhower and the Fifties. The era had its problems, but there was far more civility and far less obsession with bodily secretions back then. Some people, it appears, never get over the trauma of potty training. To their dying day, they're troubled with a potty mouth. Everything is BS this and S___t that. 

I guess it beats thinking and learning to express yourself well.

• Reply 18 of 33
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

perhaps something less thoughtful about all those drudging away in those huge factories in China.

So stop buying from Apple, then. You clearly refuse to educate yourself or care about the truth in any capacity, so either be quiet or act on your own “beliefs” and stop being a hypocrite. We’ve been over this in countless threads. Read those. Learn. Then come back and stop spewing nonsense.

• Reply 19 of 33
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Add a fifth: "Tim Cook finally may have learned how to do his job and is not bungling this rollout like he did the relatively easy iMac screen lamination fiasco last year. But just to show I don't trust him, I'm going to remind everybody that he's on my watch list for a few more years."

I ordered my iMac in November and had to wait until January to receive it but I wouldn't call that a fiasco in and of itself. Did they make promises in ship times that weren't met? I seem to recall that my order was delivered within the promised time frame but I honestly can't recall.

I also don't recall any evidence that clearly showed this was a display lamination issue. Why couldn't it be a friction weld issue or even an issue with getting the appropriate components, like Apple having to reject a huge batch of discreet GPUs or display panels from a supplier? If they shipped hundreds of thousands of faulty product that broke down or were sub-quality within weeks or months of being used then I'd call that a fiasco, but not simply because of a delay over what we are used to with Apple products being available almost immediately upon announcement.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Here is my experience, on the ground and on-line, trying to purchase or locate an iPhone 5S for a store pickup: Went to the local iPhone big box mall store this morning (9 Dec 2013) at 9:45 am. No line of customers and relatively few customers in the sprawling retail space. I expected a real rush of people. I asked a sales associate about the unlocked 5S. The associate says there are none in stock, for the moment. The associate says the lines begin to form daily at 7:00 am and the store opens at 9:00 am, or shortly prior to 9:00 am, to accommodate the customers. Today's inventory was depleted by the time I arrived at 9:45 am. I asked the associate about the online purchase and store pickup option. The associate said that option was disabled for that store, and therefore, not a viable option. So. So, I went home and entered zip codes for various NJ, PA, NY, and DE store areas. My random sample suggested that most stores have disabled the feature to order online and pickup at the store and avoid standing in a long line. Right now, if you want to purchase at a store in my area, then be prepared for the experience.