My iPod gave me a SHOCK !!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi, I just got my iPod, I pluged it into my G4's Firewire port. Everything went fine, the transfer was fast and easy.

I decided to leave it a bit longer for it to charge. A few minutes later I decided to move it and TRTRTRTRTRTRTRTRTRTRTRTRT!!!!! And the damn thing gave me an electric shock!

It wasn't that strong but still do you think the hard drive can get screwed up because of this? Is this causing it to charge more slowly?

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: soulcrusher ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    Yikes. I hope it was a static shock!
  • Reply 2 of 14
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    I had a wierd static incident the other day with my ibook 2001.

I touched one of the metal feet holders on the bottom, and BAM! A huge shock.

But touching it afterwards, and i am *convinced* there was some current coming off the damn thing.

AJ
  • Reply 3 of 14
    I know how to fix it, it seems to happen only when the firewire cable is not pluged tightly enough. Probably when not properly plugged some current flows through the stainless steal case, I dunno.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Hmmm. I dunno whether enough current can flow through the FireWire to kill ya.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Death by FireWire. Ouch.

I can't wait for the wireless implementation.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:

<strong>Death by FireWire. Ouch.

I can't wait for the wireless implementation.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yes? is it bettter to die of brain cancer caused by emf pollution? not so sure about that .
  • Reply 7 of 14
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Never been shocked, but you can hear the HDD spinning up and down when you plug in FireWire and unplug it.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    My PowerBook G4 tingled while I was in Europe...
  • Reply 9 of 14
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    here's test to see if FireWire can kill you... plug one end of a 6-pin FireWire cable into your Mac. Take the other end and insert tongue... make the EMT reply to these forums with the result.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I think the iPod gives plenty of people who aren't "in the know" about Mac stuff, maybe a first visit to an Apple store.

"How much are these little things?"

"$400."

Instant shock.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Heh, most of the people I know that I told the price to thought it was fairly reasonable. Probably because they don't know anything.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    word :cool:
  • Reply 13 of 14
    here's test to see if FireWire can kill you... plug one end of a 6-pin FireWire cable into your Mac. Take the other end and insert tongue... make the EMT reply to these forums with the result.

Heh, I was over at a friends one time and we were sitting here with a USB cord plugged into the keyboard slot on his iMac. I was checking osmehitng out on the net when all of a sudden I hear this "hmmmffffarrr" sound, I look over and my friend is holding his mouth. I ask what happened and he points to the USB cable and points to his tooth. I was laughing for nearly 15 minutes. Seems he, without thinking, tapped the cable on his tooth.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I dont think the firewire port has enough voltage to push the current through your body. concidering it only takes a half amp to an amp to kill you im sure that the current is there. there is enough potential current in a battery to kill you many times over, but the voltage is not enough to push it through the resistance of your body.