Google Glass owners can now configure their headset, get directions from iPhone [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google on Tuesday unveiled an iOS version of the MyGlass companion app for the company's head-mounted wearable computer, making the device much more useful for iPhone owners.

MyGlass

Update: Google has pulled MyGlass for iOS from the App Store, but the company said it will return later this week.

The app replicates its Android counterpart's functionality closely and visually resembles Google's other iOS apps. Those with early access to Google's augmented reality headgear can use the app to set up their Glass, add and remove Glass apps, which the company calls "Glassware," add contacts to the device, and mirror Glass's display to the iPhone.

MyGlass also enables Glass's heads-up direction service, passing GPS information from the iPhone to Glass. A Bluetooth or Wi-Fi hotspot connection is required to transfer data back and forth.

According to Google, "If you don't have Glass, then downloading this [MyGlass] will be a waste of time."

MyGlass for iOS is available now as a free, 15.2-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Good to see them get an iOS version out, especially since the functionality is similar to the Android version. Not predicting a positive response on this site though lol. Curious to see how many Glass users out there have an iPhone. I'd guess a good number.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    freshmaker wrote: »
    Good to see them get an iOS version out, especially since the functionality is similar to the Android version. Not predicting a positive response on this site though lol. Curious to see how many Glass users out there have an iPhone. I'd guess a good number.

Interoperability is going to be crucial for the success of Google Glass.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Link's not working
  • Reply 4 of 32
    It has been pulled from the App Store, by Google. Google says it wasn't meant to go live til later this week.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Doesn't matter, users are still going to be known as Glassholes.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Doesn't matter, users are still going to be known as Glassholes.
    There's always going to be those that are uncomfortable or feel threatened by new tech. Name-calling is just a way of dealing with those insecurities. Remember when some of the earliest iPhone adopters were called iPhony's by those who wanted to ridicule Apple?
  • Reply 7 of 32
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There's always going to be those that are uncomfortable or feel threatened by new tech. Name-calling is just a way of dealing with those insecurities. Remember when some of the earliest iPhone adopters were called iPhony's by those who wanted to ridicule Apple?

Apparently the guy standing next to you wearing glass at a urinal, can now take a picture with a wink of an eye.

Tell me why he shouldn't be punched in the face?

• Reply 8 of 32
    hill60 wrote: »
    Apparently the guy standing next to you wearing glass at a urinal, can now take a picture with a wink of an eye.

Um... because he's not taking a picture of you standing at the urinal? Who the heck does that except "sickos" and there's no shortage of creative recording devices for someone into that kinda stuff already. Seems like shoe cams would be more problematic going by Walmart police reports. You've got some really oddball arguments for why Glass must be a bad idea. This one at a urinal is highly unlikely to happen to you or anyone you'll ever know.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Um... because he's not taking a picture of you standing at the urinal? Who the heck does that except "sickos" and there's no shortage of creative recording devices for someone into that kinda stuff already. Seems like shoe cams would be more problematic going by Walmart police reports. You've got some really oddball arguments for why Glass must be a bad idea. This one at a urinal is highly unlikely to happen to you or anyone you'll ever know.

The overall point is valid though. Who wants to talk to somebody with a camera attached to his or her face?
  • Reply 10 of 32
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

iPhone users are well represented in the Glass Explorer forums- probably because its current price point demands someone who both loves technology and is relatively affluent and Apple fans generally fit that bill.  Its a pretty cool community and people are more focused on the cool technology than whatever brand of phone they use.  For the most part things work the same on both platforms with Apple occasionally lagging behind simply because a lot of it is still a work in progress.  The biggest drawback at the moment is since Glass has access to the 'insides' of Android devices, Google has made it so all your info is seen as a native phone request, with Apple Glass has to pair and make external requests so it is seen as an 'external' device so you need a tethered plan and everything you do is considered as being via a tethered device which apparently can get quite pricey.

• Reply 11 of 32
    tbell wrote: »
    The overall point is valid though. Who wants to talk to somebody with a camera attached to his or her face?

Personally I don't think I'd have an issue with it. I've never seen one in person but I thought Glass let other people in front of you know when it's taking a picture or (short!) video. If you aren't looking at or conversing with the person anyway it's not all that unlike someone taking a candid iPhone pic of you is it? You wouldn't know about either one and I don't really worry about those kinds of pictures now. Glass wouldn't change that at all would it?
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Do you punch people in the face that are talking on their cell phones?  They might not *really* be talking and could just be walking around pretending to talk with their camera rolling.

I don't wear my Glass to social areas or restaurants, and certainly not in bathrooms.  I actually think that is a valid concern and argument.  They are great to play with the nieces or go hiking with.  Its a great technology with a lot of potential.  I'll let society determine the norms but my vote is certainly adopting and moving forward.  It really isn't much different than if Apple invented a transparent phone that hovers along just over your head.  Once you get used to it always being there and just popping up when you need it, having to reach into your pocket and grab a phone and turn it on seems like such an unnecessary nuisance.  It would be a little like having to get up and walk to the TV to change the channel.

• Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:

Personally I don't think I'd have an issue with it. I've never seen one in person but I thought Glass let other people in front of you know when it's taking a picture or (short!) video. If you aren't looking at or conversing with the person anyway it's not all that unlike someone taking a candid iPhone pic of you is it? You wouldn't know about either one and I don't really worry about those kinds of pictures now. Glass wouldn't change that at all would it?

No indicators.  Much like a cell phone it doesn't have any special lights, beeps, or informational messages saying 'Warning!  I am recording!  Warning!'

Clips are short, 10 seconds by default and voice activated- so if you are near someone you'll generally know they are recording.  You can also record or do extending recordings using the touchbar but again, you would see someone interacting with their Glass.

• Reply 14 of 32
    frood wrote: »

No indicators.  Much like a cell phone it doesn't have any special lights, beeps, or informational messages saying 'Warning!  I am recording!  Warning!'

Clips are short, 10 seconds by default and voice activated- so if you are near someone you'll generally know they are recording.  You can also record or do extending recordings using the touchbar but again, you would see someone interacting with their Glass.

Thanks for the info.:)
  • Reply 15 of 32

Um... because he's not taking a picture of you standing at the urinal?

Prove it.

Personally I don't think I'd have an issue with it.

Of course not. You have “nothing to hide”, do you, Eric?

• Reply 16 of 32
    :D
    Prove it.

Of course not. You have “nothing to hide”, do you, Eric?

And a good evening to you too TS. :p :D
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frood View Post

...and voice activated- so if you are near someone you'll generally know they are recording.  You can also record or do extending recordings using the touchbar but again, you would see someone interacting with their Glass.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Thanks for the info.image

Wrong, check out the latest update:-

"Wink

Glass is about helping you look up and experience the world around you without getting bogged down by technology. Based on this philosophy, we've got a new setting that lets you quickly and easily capture the moments you care about with a simple wink of the eye. Whether it's capturing an amazing sunset on an evening walk, or photographing your receipt for the lunch you'll need to expense, you can now stay in the moment and wink to take a picture instantly.  If you want to turn it on, just swipe over to Settings.

We’re starting with pictures, but just think about what else is possible. Imagine a day where you’re riding in the back of a cab and you just wink at the meter to pay. You wink at a pair of shoes in a shop window and your size is shipped to your door. You wink at a cookbook recipe and the instructions appear right in front of you – hands-free, no mess, no fuss. Pretty cool, right?"

Source

So you wouldn't necessarily notice someone winking to take a photo.

Hence the punch in the face quandary when using a urinal near someone wearing Google glass.

• Reply 18 of 32
    Independent from whether it's an Apple or Google or ACME product, I think two things are clear: technology will move ahead and Glass is part of this and therefore likely to stay. Like with other inventions such as cameras on mobile phones it broadens the potential applications as well as lowers the bar to actually perform these tasks. This us by definition part of progress and often the inventors' intention. Therefore, misuse obviously also gets easier. Part of life.

Personally, I am pretty sure that there are many occasions where I have not noticed or would not notice if someone e.g. Is taking a photo or video of me. Am I concerned? Not really at this point. However, extrapolating the technological development I do foresee a time where the ease of use and unobstructiveness of undesired intrusion into your privacy reaches an Orwellian level. It reminds me if a story by Stanislaw Lem where a device is invented that allows recording any event and place in the past. Invented originally for use in historic science it turns out that past means any past including the very recent moment in time and hence changing society perpetually due to the fact that anyone can potentially observe anyone else in real time.

So while technological progress won't be stopped I don't trust social ethics simply to sort things out. I just don't fancy the idea that I have to count on my gf being published nude on FB or somewhere else just because some jerk feels it's a great idea. At the same time I don't want to enter neither a technological warfare to defend myself from such intrusions, nor do I want to be forced to change my life in a defensive way by w.g. avoiding nudist beaches with my gf in the future ( just an example) or watching around closely at a public urinal. While I don't have a solution I clearly feel that Glass is personally on the edge of what I feel comfortable with.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    hill60 wrote: »

Wrong, check out the latest update:-

"Wink

Glass is about helping you look up and experience the world around you without getting bogged down by technology. Based on this philosophy, we've got a new setting that lets you quickly and easily capture the moments you care about with a simple wink of the eye. Whether it's capturing an amazing sunset on an evening walk, or photographing your receipt for the lunch you'll need to expense, you can now stay in the moment and wink to take a picture instantly.  If you want to turn it on, just swipe over to Settings.

We’re starting with pictures, but just think about what else is possible. Imagine a day where you’re riding in the back of a cab and you just wink at the meter to pay. You wink at a pair of shoes in a shop window and your size is shipped to your door. You wink at a cookbook recipe and the instructions appear right in front of you – hands-free, no mess, no fuss. Pretty cool, right?"

Source

So you wouldn't necessarily notice someone winking to take a photo.

Hence the punch in the face quandary when using a urinal near someone wearing Google glass.

LOL!. Pretty sure you have to be looking directly at the thing you're photographing, If he's staring at your wanker that should be the first clue that something ain't quite right. (Edit: The second clue would be the shutter sound and the third should be when his display lights up showing an image was taken.) As for how Glass works, perhaps your's is set-up a little differently than Frood's.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

LOL!. Pretty sure you have to be looking directly at the thing you're photographing, If he's staring at your winkie that should be the first clue that something ain't quite right. As for how Glass works, perhaps your's is set-up a little differently than Frood's.

It's a firmware update which was just released as you can see from the source I linked to.

I am surprised you are so ignorant of Google matters, you usually present a bevy of links in support of their actions.

Now that Google has released this update all Frood's arguments regarding obvious voice commands and gestures become moot.

In a situation where a certain level of privacy is to be expected would one be within one's rights to remove the threat to privacy that Google glass represents?