RUMOR: Sculley to Palm... Newton Scuttlebut?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I read that Sculley may be going to Palm. With OS 5 on StrongArm due in the next year, and a group of ex Newton engineers no working for Palm, can a re-incarnation of the Newton as a Palm device be far behind???

I wonder if this will ruin Apple's supposed dealings with Palm though. Does jobs hate Sculley enough to drop any possibility of licensing PalmOS.

Willl this lead to the most Newton like of all palm devices in the next twelve months???

And what does this all mean for Apple potentially (if ever) getting back into the PDA game???

CAN YOU BELIVE IT? AI IS BACK, AI IS BACK, AI IS BACK!!!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHA!!!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Palm OS 5 doesn't hold a candle to Newton OS 2.1
  • Reply 2 of 10
    This Jobs hate Scully stuff is unfounded! Did you ever concider that Jobs ended the Newton because it was a flop that was loosing money out the ass? The Newton was too soon for it's time and there could still be a new device still. Although it could be a new alliance between Apple and Palm. Although I doubt that as Palm would be a little quicker to release a OS X hot sync if they were contemplating a joint alliance. My thoughts? I think we'll see Apple's own iPad. Something to rival M$ Tablet. A lot has been talked about prototypes at Apple. This probably wont be out in MYSF, but possibly later in 02'.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I like AtAT's take on this one.

[quote]First Steve lures Sculley to Apple from Pepsico by tossing around some vague taunts about selling sugar-water. A few years later, Sculley pulls a power play and gets Steve kicked out of the company he himself cofounded. Sculley rules Apple for several years more, and the Soda King's pet project is a whole new kind of computing device: a personal digital assistant called the Newton. The Newton is a massive flop (or, should we say, a "mussite flag"), and amid a series of other debacles, Sculley resigns. Let's get ready to rumble!

Fast-forward past the Spindler years-- Amelio's in the house, trying to turn things around. He buys Steve's NeXT company and brings Steve back into the fold... and Steve gets him kicked out. And not long after, the Newton, which is finally turning into something really special, gets Steved. Is the man petty enough to have done it out of revenge on Sculley? Heck, don't ask us-- we just work here. But it's true that the Newton never did terribly well; instead, people were buying smaller, cheaper, and lighter devices made by Palm, a company with a fair number of ex-Appleites in the trenches. Hmmm.

So if Sculley winds up taking the helm at Palm, he, like Jobs, will have sort of come full circle, albeit to a lesser degree. In a way, we really hope this comes to pass... after all, if Sculley does get the job at Palm, we'd just love to watch the fireworks as Steve taps into Apple's $4 billion war chest to launch a hostile takeover bid for Palm-- just so he can kick out Sculley in the interests of karma. Man, somebody get George Lucas on the horn, because this is a real epic in the making...

<hr></blockquote>

Read the full article at <a href="http://www.appleturns.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.appleturns.com/</a>;

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: MacAgent ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I hadn't read that one. It's a good take.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    yeah i laughed my butt off when i read that episode....

and then i did it again when i read MOSR just now.

If Sculley goes to palm, something VERY interesting is going to happen. thats for sure
  • Reply 6 of 10
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    [quote]Originally posted by gumby5647:

<strong>yeah i laughed my butt off when i read that episode....

and then i did it again when i read MOSR just now.

If Sculley goes to palm, something VERY interesting is going to happen. thats for sure</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes indeed ..... the interesting thing would be ... well I don't really know. but according to that trend, apple should buy palm now and fire all the BeOS software engineer from palm
  • Reply 7 of 10
    well, either jobs will buy out palm. Or Apple will make its own PDA. Just to spite sculley. And of course it would have to be better and smaller than Palm's.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=000069"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=000069</a>;

Please post there if you have Newton interest.

But make sure you don't make any references to the Newton in Suggestions ... or it'll magically get locked ...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    This isn't exactly a Newton thread.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    Not saying it is a Newton thread, just saying it is Newton related and so obviously people who are interested in Newton will post here and I hope they toss a message in the thread I linked to.