Apple's first new Mac Pro shipments arrive early for Christmas Eve

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The first customers who ordered Apple's distinctive new Mac Pro workstation system have started receiving their orders in time for unwrapping on Christmas.

While originally expected to begin arriving on December 30, Apple's new Mac Pro began arriving at early buyers' doorsteps on Christmas Eve.

A forum post highlighted by MacRumors noted a West Coast customer who ordered a stock 6-core Mac Pro with Next Day Shipping and got their new machine December 24.

On the 23rd, AppleInsider noted that Apple had initiated shipments of base configuration Mac Pros for customers who were able to place orders when sales went live last week. Shipping models include the $2,999 quad-core model and $3,999 6-core version.

Apple is apparently seeing constrained supply of its radically redesigned professional-level computer, as its Online Apple Store now shows February delivery dates even for standard base model configurations. BTO models are also quoted as being available to ship by February, though a specific date is not given, suggesting production has not yet ramped to full capacity.

The limited Mac Pro availability may be attributed to Apple's "Made in USA" efforts, which have the desktop being manufactured at domestic plants in Texas instead of the usual Far East partner factories.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Was that you, [B]digitalclips[/B]?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member

Lucky people! I had to settle with an iMac :(   but maybe when supply stabilises I will get the new beast.

• Reply 3 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    Was that you, digitalclips?

Heck I hope not! We are on the other coast of Florida for Christmas and return tomorrow. Then again, it a signature required shipment, so I'd be able to call FedEx.

I was expecting it this Friday but you never know.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Heck I hope not! We are on the other coast of Florida for Christmas and return tomorrow. Then again, it a signature required shipment, so I'd be able to call FedEx.

You can always check the FedEx number to see where it is.

My preferred iOS app is Delivery Status. The push notifications of changes are nice. There is also has a free Mac widget and will sync via JuneCloud so they are alls synced between devices.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ipilya wrote: »
    Lucky people! I had to settle with an iMac :(   but maybe when supply stabilises I will get the new beast.

It all depends of 1. How much cash you have. 2. How much power you need.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I was constrained by my bank balance . . .
  • Reply 7 of 16
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Were you previously using expansion cards? What would be your solution? Not an issue for me though, I just want power! (My precious!)

Merry Christmas all. :)

• Reply 8 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    ireland wrote: »
    It all depends of 1. How much cash you have. 2. How much power you need.

Or how much money you can make using the appropriate hardware.
  • Reply 9 of 16

Merry Christmas to all you AI regulars :smokey:

• Reply 10 of 16
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Does anyone know why this machine's chassis is shiny vs matte? Is there an engineering reason behind it or is simply that the designers preferred this look? I ask because none of Apple's other aluminum products are shiny.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    rogifan wrote: »
    Does anyone know why this machine's chassis is shiny vs matte? Is there an engineering reason behind it or is simply that the designers preferred this look? I ask because none of Apple's other aluminum products are shiny.

No idea. Maybe this video gives someone a clue:

[VIDEO]

Or this 'marketing' line:

"Refined impact extrusion technologies are more material-efficient and give the polished aluminum enclosure its incredible shape and finish."
  • Reply 12 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator

It's so that the posers who own them can check their makeup regularly. ;)

I suspect it's a style choice - the iPod backs are shiny. When Apple makes a new version of a product, it generally makes the previous one look old by comparison. I'd say that's true when you see them next to each other:

The shiny metal takes on the colors from the surrounding objects and in some settings appears silver, in others dark black. You can see in that image, it looks like chrome at the bottom left, jet black in the middle and like matte silver on the right.

The old one looks like a nicely designed traditional tower but is unlike Apple's other products. The iPhone didn't look like a nicely designed dumbphone, it was designed for its purpose.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Marvin wrote: »
    It's so that the posers who own them can check their makeup regularly. ;)

I suspect it's a style choice - the iPod backs are shiny. When Apple makes a new version of a product, it generally makes the previous one look old by comparison. I'd say that's true when you see them next to each other:

The shiny metal takes on the colors from the surrounding objects and in some settings appears silver, in others dark black. You can see in that image, it looks like chrome at the bottom left, jet black in the middle and like matte silver on the right.

The old one looks like a nicely designed traditional tower but is unlike Apple's other products. The iPhone didn't look like a nicely designed dumbphone, it was designed for its purpose.

I think it would make the cheese grater look old even if it was matte black, ala Apple TV. Perhaps it's difficult to do that with aluminum? Apple certainly had issues with the slate iPhone and scuffing so maybe this design is less scuff prone?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I think it would make the cheese grater look old even if it was matte black, ala Apple TV. Perhaps it's difficult to do that with aluminum? Apple certainly had issues with the slate iPhone and scuffing so maybe this design is less scuff prone?

It's matte black on the inside:

Even if the inside parts are separate pieces and screwed together, I'd expect they'd be able to roughen up the outer shells. I don't think it would be easy to make the call on which looks better without seeing the two models together. Apple tends to make multiple versions so they must have decided this shiny one either looked the best or had the most efficient manufacturing process.
  • Reply 15 of 16

Matte or Shiny.

Me want.

• Reply 16 of 16
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    They had one in display in the Apple mini store at Yodobashi Camera in Umeda/Osaka tonight. Looked really nice. Had to work hard not to salivate.