Want one of Apple's new Mac Pros now? Best Buy says it has a few in stock [u]

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
While Apple's new American-mac Mac Pro desktop is backordered on the company's retail store until at least February, one of its brick-and-mortar retail partners says it currently shipping out a limited supply of both standard retail configurations. [Update: all have sold out]

Apple's all-new Mac Pro

Best Buy tells AppleInsider that it's able to ship out the following two retail configurations from its online store in one business day, while supplies last. Alternatively, the electronics retailer will ship the Mac to your local Best Buy retail store for on-site pickup within 5-7 business days:

Mac Pro QC 3.7GHz/12GB/256_SSD/D300 - $2,999.99 SOLD OUT
Mac Pro 6C 3.5GHz/16GB/256_SSD/D500 - $3,999.99 SOLD OUT

The current availability of the Mac Pro at Best Buy is rare given that the desktops are backordered everywhere else -- including Apple's own online store -- until at least February. There have also been recent reports indicating that the Mac maker won't have enough supply to stock its own retail stores until March, which is around the same time it's also quoting for new custom configured versions of the professional desktop.

First previewed in June, the new Mac Pro (hands-on) sports a radical new 9.9-inch by 6.6-inch cylindrical design that's crammed with state-of-the-art hardware technology.

Available in nearly 200 configurations, the new Mac Pro has also been touted for its environmental efficiency and domestic pedigree, with assembly taking place exclusively in Apple's newly-equipped Austin, Tex. manufacturing facility. And a recent in-depth analysis by AppleInsider found that despite its seemingly steep price tag, the new Mac Pro actually provides exceptional value that's much greater than the sum of its parts.

Meanwhile, teardowns of some of the first units to roll off the assembly lines found the units to be easily disassembled, offering great potential for repairs and upgrades. In particular, one teardown revealed socketed, removable Intel CPU that appears as if it could also be easy for users to upgrade on their own.

For a list of some of the other most popular Mac Pro configurations that are currently available for pre-order, check out our Apple Price Guides.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Love them or hate them, this is proper marketing from BB.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    [QUOTE]American-mac[/QUOTE]

That makes it sound like a cheeseburger.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    All that's left is the 6-core model. Check that, I went back to confirm the model and it also shows as being out of stock so AI might as well delete this article.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member

I want one indeed, but I don't need one. :p

• Reply 5 of 47
    "Available in nearly 200 configurations..."

This is the third time Apple Insider makes this claim, as if the more you say it, the more true it becomes. It only has a possible 144 configurations. (4 processors x 4 memory x 3 storage x 3 graphics).

Is this just sloppy journalism or spinning the facts?
  • Reply 6 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Half the shit people buy they don't "need".  Don't let something like that stop ya!

• Reply 7 of 47
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Squeelllll!!

• Reply 8 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nytesky View Post

This is the third time Apple Insider makes this claim, as if the more you say it, the more true it becomes. It only has a possible 144 configurations. (4 processors x 4 memory x 3 storage x 3 graphics).

I think their just a little confused / sloppy.  The way they (incorrectly) came to that number is that the $3000 model comes in 144 configurations, and the $4000 model has 54 configurations (which equals 198)  What they fail to realize, is that every possible configuration can be made from the base model.

• Reply 9 of 47
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nytesky View Post

144 is nearly (closer to) 200….compared to the relatively small number of standard configurations. :D

• Reply 10 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    vl-tone wrote: »

Need can be subjective, you just have to work on it . :)
  • Reply 11 of 47
    jahbladejahblade Posts: 159member
    Half the shit people buy they don't "need".  Don't let something like that stop ya!
    well said!!!!
  • Reply 12 of 47
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

In France they call the Mac Pro a Royale with Cheese.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Half? What we need really depends on how far you define "need" but for the basics of life what we need compared to what we want is a rounding error. We need fuel to live. That means various nutrients in the form of base elements that we inefficiently obtain from other living creatures. But do we really need to be alive, and if we do, to what end? If that end result is to procreate per some biological race to dominate this marble then do we really need to be alive if can't procreate or have completed our cycle? I suppose society creates complex structures of need within it's definition and could even be so minor as it would harm the balance of society more to euthanize the elderly or invalid even if, on paper, it would make for a more efficient species. That certainly didn't work out for the Spartans. So, anyway, my point is that we all need a Mac Pro. I also need a Bugatti Veyron, my own Leer Jet, to marry a supermodel, and have at least one of every Iron Man suit ever imagined. :p
  • Reply 14 of 47

I actually ordered one of those american - Macs. I really hope it lasts longer than a cheeseburger. ;)
  • Reply 15 of 47
    vl-tone wrote: »

There is so much that people don't need but they still buy them (me included).

If you want something and if you have the spare money..........

What keeps you waiting?

I say enjoy your live as long as it lasts.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Pretty sure that's a typo for American-made, but you probably knew that.
  • Reply 17 of 47

Nice little treat for whomever read AppleInsider this AM and wanted a Pro ASAP. Call it a perk for being an Apple power user and a reader of AppleInsider.

• Reply 18 of 47
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I have a feeling the nMP is going to sell very well. Regardless of what certain "pro" users think of it.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    They had one on display on the Apple section (store inside store) of Yodobashi Camera in Osaka Japan a few days ago. Looked really nice. And small. You have to see one in real life to appreciate the size and configuration.

I only had a minute to look at it as my son was agitating to go home to where we are staying with grandma, but I want to take another look next time I get in there.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I have a feeling the nMP is going to sell very well. Regardless of what certain "pro" users think of it.

I have to agree, the nMP is a huge step forward in workstation design. I actually think Apple will have issues keeping up. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a mid 2014 refresh that offers up more flash storage and other possible improvements.

As to those "pros", there are still people whining about their ability to run software for their original 68000 based Mac. This machine is a very shrewder move for Apple.