Apple hits snags in 'iWatch' production, loses director of iPod software to Nest

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2014
A new report published on Tuesday details the long and arduous road Apple's supposed iWatch is moving down as it moves from idea to consumer product, including fresh information regarding an iPod software director's departure to Nest Labs.

Bryan James
Former Apple director of iPod Software Bryan James' LinkedIn profile. | Source: LinkedIn

Apple has run into a number of challenges in bringing the so-called "iWatch" to market, reports The Information, though most appear to be in line with any new product launch. The publication provides a number of interesting tidbits, including the attrition of former Apple iPod software director and current Nest employee Bryan James, who reportedly worked on the project.

Now Vice President of New Product Engineering at Nest Labs, James was previously a director for Apple's iPod software team, a position he held for over seven years. It is unclear what role James played in iWatch development, but sources claim the software engineer was involved with various wearable programs, including an Apple-made offering that would have allowed iPod nano users to wear the device as a wristwatch.

James is also listed on a number of Apple patents, most of which relate to user interface designs and backend technology. Specifically, The Information points to a property "associated with a watch-like device" that also lists Nest cofounder Matt Rogers as an inventor, but AppleInsider could not find the document in question.

The pair of names show up together only once in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's database. Apple's U.S. Patent No. 8,380,507 covers voice activated features in a portable device that could theoretically be used in an iWatch, though no mention of "watches" or "wearables" is made.

With a supposedly growing team dedicated to the iWatch project, James may not have been a key player, but his background is interesting nonetheless. As of February 2013, Apple was claimed to have a 100-person team working on the initiative, but has been "aggressively hiring" additional personnel in the intervening months.

Some of those hires are rumored to have backgrounds in the medical field, suggesting the as-yet-unannounced wearable may incorporate bio sensors and other "quantified self" technology.

The Information also reiterates prior reports regarding Apple's production struggles thus far, including issues with screen technology. To this point, the publication cites people familiar with the project as saying Apple considered moving to a different display implementation late last year due to battery issues with older designs.

While quite possibly a foregone conclusion, the publication looks ahead to how the iWatch will perform in the coming tide of wearable devices. At this year's CES, a veritable crush of wearables has been announced, many from big-name tech companies like LG and Intel.

It remains to be seen if the market will take to the new form factor devices initially made popular by wristbands from Nike, Jawbone and Fitbit, among others. As with previous CES events, Apple seems to once again be the elephant in the room that isn't even there.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So basically they don't really know anything. Glad I'm not paying for this lack of information.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Damn, I did not evn know Apple had announced an "iWatch".

;)
  • Reply 3 of 40
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Yet another iWatch production issue article. You must be joking.

Good for Bryan James. Nest needs people much more than Apple needs a director of iPod software at the moment.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple is doomed!!!! An unannounced product is having unconfirmed issues!!
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple is doomed!!!! An unannounced product is having unconfirmed issues!!

This explains the stock fall today!!!

• Reply 6 of 40
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Not sure leaving Apple and going to a thermostat company is all that bright of an move. Really, how much runway is there in this category to innovated how to control the temperature in your house.

• Reply 7 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

"There is no iWatch" (waves hand like Obi-Wan Kenobi)...

• Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Not sure leaving Apple and going to a thermostat company is all that bright of an move. Really, how much runway is there in this category to innovated how to control the temperature in your house.

I agree with you there...but one could say the same about being an iPod expert right about now.

Nest is a pretty cool product. If I were building a house I would def. have it.

The video is very well done...when the page opens, click on the "take the tour" button for a short video. Like I said, it's pretty cool and one of the few non-Apple devices I would consider buying! :)

https://nest.com/thermostat/life-with-nest-thermostat/

Best.

P.S. No affiliation. :)

• Reply 9 of 40
    maestro64 wrote: »

And smoke detectors... But in all honesty I think Nest is a great company. They are doing small things for now, but the home is a huge area of opportunity.

Still, I'm assuming one guy won't make or break the company. If apple depended on one guy, they'd already be done
  • Reply 10 of 40
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member
    Best non-story of the day.
  • Reply 11 of 40

"Apple hits snags in 'iWatch' production, loses director of iPod software to Nest"

Where exactly in this article does it explain where Apple hits snags in iWatch production?

Oh right, the sensationalist article title made out of complete fud. Nevermind.

• Reply 12 of 40
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    iPods are not exactly an expanding market. He probably hit a brick wall when it came to career advancement. Thats why many Lower level exec's leave, the top rung is full, and they want to keep moving.

As for iWatch.. they've hired some VERY heavy hitters in design recently.. The Nano watch thing was YEARS past and killed off in 2012, not news at all. Thats actually 2 years old news! ROFL!

I always thought they killed the nano watch because they decided to go a different direction.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    netytnetyt Posts: 3member
    Left iPod to go to Nest? I thought that happened years ago%u2026
  • Reply 14 of 40
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

WHAT iWatch?

• Reply 15 of 40
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There is no iWatch . . . 

• Reply 16 of 40
    pmz wrote: »
    Yet another iWatch production issue article. You must be joking.

Good for Bryan James. Nest needs people much more than Apple needs a director of iPod software at the moment.

Clickbait is no joke. Nothing is more serious and dignified than slapping ads on some copy-and-pasted rumor and throwing it into the forums. /s

Oh no! Now the iPod will become stale! /s
  • Reply 17 of 40
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member
    Just another BS story without any real info from The Information. They should change their name to The Disinformation.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    quadra 610 wrote: »

There is no iWatch . . . 

There is no spoon . . .

Even during CES Apple still gets news for an unreleased and unannounced product. Good luck not being Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That is not the reference you were looking for....

Surely you meant to credit The Matrix, not Star Wars:

Paraphrasing:

iWatch boy: Do not try and bend the iWatch - that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth.

Neo: What truth?

iWatch boy: There is no iWatch.

Neo: There is no iWatch?

iWatch boy: Then you will see that it is not the iWatch that bends, it is only yourself.

• Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There is no spoon . . .

Ouch, you beat me by a few seconds.  :)