What ethernet card for a Newton 2100?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
As you may know, I'm going to be getting a Newton 2100 soon. I was going to connect it to my LC 575 via serial, but all the people on the Newtontalk list encouraged me to use ethernet. My only question is what card should I buy? Oh, and what software do I need to snyc with the newt? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    Newton Connection Utilities 2.0 for Mac [I can send it to you if you can't find it online].

And if anyone knows of a sub $50 ethernet card for a Newton 2x00, let me know please.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I'll try and dig up the list of compatible cards, but most (if not all) are out of production, I think.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I have seen the list on unna.com but need a source to buy from. Any thoughts?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I have an upgraded 2000 and use a Farallon Ethermac LAN card. It took me awhile to find one that had driver support for the Newton. I'll post the exact part number when I get home. I doubt you'll see many retailers selling it but perhaps you can find one on ebay or at a garage sale.

BTW: I learned from trial and error that you can't use combo cards (modem+LAN) of any kind as there seems to be no support for it on the Newton.

Good luck,

vfym
  • Reply 5 of 6
    idudeidude Posts: 352member
    Thanks guys. I don't think there is a NCU 2.0. I have looked, but all they have is 1.0 and a Newton Connection KIT 2.0. If you have 2.0, send it to me or post it please. I've been looking too, and I found that computer-show.com has like 70 3com 3c589 cards for $14. Yes, $14 (USD). Don't go buying them all until I get mine!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Yes, it is the kit you need. And actually you can get it off my MUG server: <a href="http://www.gacmug.org"; target="_blank">http://www.gacmug.org</a>;

Just go to downloads and do a search, might be under NCK but it is there, otherwise you can browse the archive and look through the Newton directory.

The Newton stuff is badly organized and the whole archive needs to be resorted but we keep about 5-6GB of free to distribute software on there, feel free to check it out.

And thats awesome about the cards you found, I just need one ;-) Thanks a ton!