Apple seeds second OS X 10.9.2 Mavericks beta to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited March 2014
Apple on Thursday seeded to developers a second build of the upcoming OS X 10.9.2 Mavericks maintenance update.

Mavericks Build


The latest seed, build 13C39, comes just under one month after the first OS X 10.9.2 beta was released to developers in December.

As noted by reader Gregg, Apple once again asks developers to focus on Mail. The built-in OS X Mail app has run into a number of issues since the latest version launched with Mavericks last October. Users have complained of Gmail compatibility as well as inconsistent performance from Smart Mailboxes.

The most recent OS X 10.9.1 update was meant to address issues with Mail, though many users are still seeing problems.

In addition to Mail, Apple asks developers to focus on Messages, virtual private network features, graphics drivers and VoiceOver.

Developers can download OS X 10.9.2 beta build 13C39 via Software Update or through Apple's developer portal.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 60
    My mail often seizes up and refuses to send or receive... I have to force quit it to revive it.

    It first went haywire when my mobile-me (iCloud) was full... so I deleted a lot of stuff, but it never seemed to work after that. However, that was coincident with Mavericks going live... so.... I dunno.

    I have to say, Apple is getting less and less like Apple...
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BeyondYourFrontDoor View Post



    My mail often seizes up and refuses to send or receive... I have to force quit it to revive it.



    It first went haywire when my mobile-me (iCloud) was full... so I deleted a lot of stuff, but it never seemed to work after that. However, that was coincident with Mavericks going live... so.... I dunno.



    I have to say, Apple is getting less and less like Apple...

    I have a similar problem too where my Mail app would freeze after waking the computer up from sleep. Forcing a Quit is the only way of bringing it back to life.

  • Reply 3 of 60
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,435member
    [B][I][SIZE=4][SIZE=5]Fix the mess that iBooks is in![/SIZE][/SIZE][/I][/B]
  • Reply 4 of 60

    I’d be a little bit more okay with the complete inability to edit metadata if iBooks would just manage its content like, oh, EVERY SINGLE OTHER APPLICATION THAT APPLE MAKES.

  • Reply 5 of 60
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,758member

    It seems to me that with every release of OS X, there are massive Mail issues. Why can't they get this app right? 

  • Reply 6 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I’d be a little bit more okay with the complete inability to edit metadata if iBooks would just manage its content like, oh, EVERY SINGLE OTHER APPLICATION THAT APPLE MAKES.

    iBooks appears to work like iPhoto or Mail on the Mac, and how iOS works. I don't expect that to go the other way of letting everything be individually controlled via Finder with user-friendly folders and items.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

     

    It seems to me that with every release of OS X, there are massive Mail issues. Why can't they get this app right? 


    That is why I don't use Mavericks.  It has been a clusterf**k since its release with constant mail problems and other application problems.  Mail was fine with previous releases, but they mucked it up with Mavericks.  No wonder it is free…they did a half-ass job producing it.  A better solution is to stick with Mountain Lion since Mavericks did not add anything worth using.

  • Reply 8 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hillstones wrote: »
    No wonder it is free…they did a half-ass job producing it.  A better solution is to stick with Mountain Lion since Mavericks did not add anything worth using.

    1) It doesn't make sense that Apple would release Mavericks for free because it's a clusterfuck. In no way does that help them sell more Macs.

    2) I have the features delightful. Except for some noted new apps most of the additions I cared about were unseen but I definitely got more battery life from my 2010 MBP under Mavericks
  • Reply 9 of 60
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,435member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    iBooks appears to work like iPhoto or Mail on the Mac, and how iOS works. I don't expect that to go the other way of letting everything be individually controlled via Finder with user-friendly folders and items.

    I wouldn't mind doing everything in the app itself, but please let me edit .pdf meta data. Purchased magazines where the publisher isn't consistent in naming convention I'd like to change, but can't. And we should be able to set the location for out media, just like iTunes. Now it's all sitting on my SSD, mandatory, and I really can read at the speed of 827MB/s.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind doing everything in the app itself, but please let me edit .pdf meta data. Purchased magazines where the publisher isn't consistent in naming convention I'd like to change, but can't. And we should be able to set the location for out media, just like iTunes. Now it's all sitting on my SSD, mandatory, and I really can read at the speed of 827MB/s.

    Oh, I'm with having the option even if it's hidden but I just don't see Apple going that route. Jobs said they lost the PC war and in a way they did but they are winning the Devices war and making the Mac more of a device seems to be working. For most (if not all) of us on this site that will bring about some short and long term issues but I don't see that changing and frankly I'm glad the Mac is still getting so much attention under this new Devices umbrella.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    How we all sit back and hope for this! My iOS 8 and iPhone 6 wish list. Please Apple, read this! http://www.7dfour.com/my-ios-8-iphone-6-wish-list-for-2014/
  • Reply 12 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 17,984member
    hillstones wrote: »
    That is why I don't use Mavericks.  It has been a clusterf**k since its release with constant mail problems and other application problems.  Mail was fine with previous releases, but they mucked it up with Mavericks.  No wonder it is free…they did a half-ass job producing it.  A better solution is to stick with Mountain Lion since Mavericks did not add anything worth using.

    I don't disagree Mail has had some quirks but nothing a quit and restart doesn't cure. I do disagree about Mavericks though, I have found it to be a phenomenal release both on my 2009 MBP, 2013 Mac mini and 2013 nMac Pro in terms of speed and reliability. Huge work flow improvements with new Finder tabs too by the way. I simply could not go back to Mountain Lion.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    10.9.2 needs to become official. Currently a huge cutting out sound with audio interfaces such as the DJM-900SRT. Need this for my work; hard to dj with this cutting of the sound output.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,435member
    hillstones wrote: »
    That is why I don't use Mavericks.  It has been a clusterf**k since its release with constant mail problems and other application problems.  Mail was fine with previous releases, but they mucked it up with Mavericks.  No wonder it is free…they did a half-ass job producing it.  A better solution is to stick with Mountain Lion since Mavericks did not add anything worth using.

    I don't disagree Mail has had some quirks but nothing a quit and restart doesn't cure. I do disagree about Mavericks though, I have found it to be a phenomenal release both on my 2009 MBP, 2013 Mac mini and 2013 nMac Pro in terms of speed and reliability. Huge work flow improvements with new Finder tabs too by the way. I simply could not go back to Mountain Lion.

    Mail works fine at my end. Sometimes it takes its time after I close the app, but when running it runs smoothly. No issues whatsoever.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    The only problem I have with Mavericks is that at random times the sound just goes completely haywire for a couple of seconds, then it goes back to normal again. There is also a delay in changing the volume with the keyboard.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    I only have a couple of problems with Mavericks. One, at random times, my sound just goes completely haywire for a couple of seconds, then goes back to normal again. Two, there is a delay in changing the volume withy the keyboard.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Mail works fine at my end. Sometimes it takes its time after I close the app, but when running it runs smoothly. No issues whatsoever.

    The only Mavericks Mail.app issues I recall reading about involved Gmail accounts set up. This is easily alleviated for the time by simply turning on forwarding and having it sent to your iCloud email. If you don't want it clutter your iCloud account you can set up a rule so that it's separated into a separate folder or simply create a new iCloud account just for this purpose.

    These aren't things I expect the average user do and this is a major issue with a shipping product but I find on this site and others I wonder why I see so much complaining about the symptoms and so little attempt at finding a resolution. There will always be SW issues and I'd like to think that those that frequent tech-forums are hear for answers but that is clearly just naivety on part. Oh well, 10.9.2 will be here shortly to resolve some issues and cause others.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This Beta isn't allowing any of my Folder Actions from working. Resetting them manually doesn't seem to work. Oh well, it's a Beta, time to file a report.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Love Mavericks.

    One of Apple's best to date.

    My biggest problem with OSX is working out what Apple will call the next version.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

    My biggest problem with OSX is working out what Apple will call the next version.

     

    Black Hills?

Sign In or Register to comment.