AppleInsider's ads-free iPad app now available on the App Store

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
AppleInsider today is excited to announce the availability of its ads-free, subscription-based iPad app on Apple's App Store, delivering an uninterrupted browsing experience that comes wrapped in a flexible and elegant multi-touch interface designed from the ground up with readers in mind. And we want everyone to download it for free and give it a whirl for 30 days, with absolutely no strings attached.

Download the AppleInsider iPad app

No, AppleInsider isn't transitioning to a pay-only model, nor are we planing to make changes to any of the numerous access points that readers already tap on a daily basis to enjoy our great content. Instead, we're expanding our mobile footprint with the release of the AppleInsider iPad app as a premium option designed off the feedback we received in the twelve months following the launch of our inaugural iPhone app (which is also getting an update today).

In working with the incredibly gifted crew at digital design firm Crafted, we strove to develop a model for AppleInsider on the iPad that would allow us to deliver a truly uninterrupted browsing experience and still provide the means for continuous updates and feature editions at a cost that would never set readers back more than $0.99 a month. We hope we've succeeded. So go grab a copy now and check it out completely free for 30 days.

If at the end of those 30 days, you'd like to continue receiving our daily news through the app, you can opt into one of three standard subscription packages that average out to between $0.75 and $0.99 per month. If not, you'll still be able to use the new iPad app to enjoy all of AppleInsider's other great services, including its in-depth product reviews, community forums and price guides. You can also continue to follow AppleInsider on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, via RSS, our official iPhone app, or via Safari (or your favorite web browser) on the Mac, PC, iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

With that said -- and keeping in mind today's iPad app release sets a foundation for many advancements to come -- we welcome your feedback at [email protected] and encourage you to head on over to our iPad App Landing Page and download the app to your iPads (and iPhones).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    1) Cool! I like the comment box on the right, pity I can't increase the font size there, but glad I can do that on the articles. I would've like a native iOS design for the thread/comment section, as I find the most useful info in there, not in the articles. Still, nice app. Will buy it after the trial runs out.

2) What's up with not having your own mailserver AI? And above all, why gmail?

3) Nice that you can drag in the article from the right, and after that you can drag in the comments. Would be nice if you you drag in the comments fully, making the article disappear on th left, since you already read that. This way the font size can be increased and you have a full page editor. But it looks like the comments are 'just' a auto copy/paste from the Huddler designed/managed piece of the website. When you want to post a comment it displays the regular HTML from the .com, with all its Huddler, urhm, features.

So while the app is nice, you're still bound to make use of Huddler. And we all know how much we despise that, for a lack of a better term.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    I'll definitely try this out. $0.99 isn't bad if the experience and quality is improved.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

What's up with not having your own mailserver AI? And above all, why gmail?

Because for Apple to win Google doesn't have to lose. Even if I kind of dislike Google, anyway. 

Now, who wants to pay to get "Schiller un-follows Fadell" ad-free?

• Reply 4 of 61

No thanks. 

• Reply 5 of 61

Looks nice will see how it goes.

• Reply 6 of 61
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gigatel wrote: »
    No thanks. 

Indeed "no thanks"...to posts like yours. Really, if you want to up your post count I suggest you give some useful feedback instead of...this. Here's my rating on your post:

• Reply 7 of 61
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

A lot of the regulars here are Mac users from way back aren't they, so wouldn't a Mac App be more likely to garner subscriptions than an iPad app? As of Mavericks, The Mac App Store supports renewable subscriptions for apps, just like the iOS App Store. 

But then I'm not privy to your server logs, maybe the iPad is the most common client.

Anyway good luck with it, I hope it's a success. I personally have bought TV shows from iTunes that I could have watched for free on TV, just to avoid the ads (too many ads gets up your nose after a while) so there are definitely people out there who will pay for ad-free content.

• Reply 8 of 61
    That's cool. Or I can simply hit Safari reader and only focus on content and ignore ads? Either way will work fine with me.
  • Reply 9 of 61

This ... I want! :smokey:

No Ads? Nothing from damn google? For less than a dollar per month? Count me in.

And some of you who love bitching (no offence ladies) like android users  .... you pay more than this offer PER day and every morning for coffee to recharge your battery!

P.S. AI, looking at your pricing strategy, I think you have managed to break the code! ;)

• Reply 10 of 61
    Very nice app. Congratulations. I'll certainly subscribe. BTW, how does one add a comment from the app? Am I missing something? And yes, being able to increase the comment section font size would be useful. Especially when using a Mini Retina!
  • Reply 11 of 61
    How about pricing it at 4.99 once a year? I don't like monthly charges and it seems a little high for just dropping ads. I will continue to view with ads. Your ads are reasonably relevant to me as well so sometimes I do click and buy so you might make more money with some customers with ads.
  • Reply 12 of 61

Nice, but I don't see how to post a comment.

• Reply 13 of 61
    How do I keep my old free app? Your "offer" has taken control of it, offering me no option but to click to accept a "free" one month trial subscription. How do I dismiss this screen control and continue using it as is?
  • Reply 14 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

How about pricing it at 4.99 once a year? I don't like monthly charges and it seems a little high for just dropping ads. I will continue to view with ads. Your ads are reasonably relevant to me as well so sometimes I do click and buy so you might make more money with some customers with ads.

It's $8.99 per year and not monthly.

• Reply 15 of 61
    This would be awesome if it weren't made by Duddler Tech and had code to see if it was running on an iPad Air and then crash for old times sake. ;)

(No facts were harmed in the making of this post.)
  • Reply 16 of 61
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

It's $8.99 per year and not monthly.

It's $2.99 for 3 months, $4.99 for 6 months, and $8.99 for 12 months. This was on the recommendation of Apple's App Store reviewers. We originally submitted to the App Store with a $0.99 per month model, reoccurring. We were asked to change it. So we kind of had to :)
  • Reply 17 of 61
    It's a nice app, and going ad-free on the iPad is worth the premium. Safari reader works well, but by then you've already been bombarded with T-mobile ads.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffzacharias View Post

Nor is there any ability to see ALL comments.  I can see 10 at the most.  What is up with that?

• Reply 19 of 61
    How do I keep my old free app? Your "offer" has taken control of it, offering me no option but to click to accept a "free" one month trial subscription. How do I dismiss this screen control and continue using it as is?

I only downloaded it on my iPad. My iPhone is still using the v1 iPhone app, and now my iPad is using this app. Did your 'old' app disappear when syncing iPhone+iPad to your Mac?
  • Reply 20 of 61
    dcgoo wrote: »

Nor is there any ability to see ALL comments.  I can see 10 at the most.  What is up with that?

Perhaps they want to hide the embarrassment that Huddler is?