Do the black bars on DVDs take up digital space?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Ok, it may seem like a stupid question, but I'm wondering...

1. Are the black bars actually encoded on the DVD?

2. Do the movies within the black bars have the same lines of resolution as full screen.

On a related note...

3. Does anyone know if digital camcorders that have a widescreen mode encode the black bars and what the resolution of the widescreen image (minus black bars) is?

4. What happens when you import widescreen DV into a computer editing ap? (bars included or not)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    When you record widescreen DV, it squishes the image together so later is a push it down and it has the 16:9 ratio!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Nebagakid:

<strong>When you record widescreen DV, it squishes the image together so later is a push it down and it has the 16:9 ratio!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm, that explains why some called it widescreen squeeze mode. But by squish, you mean what is lost? Real vertical resolution or real horizontal resolution?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Just imagine a widescreen being squished into 4:3 and that is what you get
  • Reply 4 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nebagakid:

<strong>Just imagine a widescreen being squished into 4:3 and that is what you get</strong><hr></blockquote>

That would mean Vertical resolution...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I am prety sure that both are possible with dvd's. high quality dvds are natively recorde in widescreen(anamorphic) format and are shown as-is on widescreen tv's or with black bands added for 3:4 screens. This means more information encoded than the other format where the black bands are part of the picture and the picture must be cropped to widescreen dimensions.

for the nitty gritty go here: <a href="http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/index.html"; target="_blank">http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/index.html</a>;
  • Reply 6 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nordstrodamus:

<strong>

4. What happens when you import widescreen DV into a computer editing ap? (bars included or not)</strong><hr></blockquote>

My Final Cut Pro 2 manual addresses this, and I actually did some tests of it just for kicks. When you import DV into FCP at least, there's a couple things you can do.

1) If ALL your footage is encoded to be 16:9, you can set your sequence to adjust and be widescreen.

2) If only SOME of your footage is 16:9, then you have to adjust the settings for each individual clip to compensate for the vertical stretching the camera actually did to the image.

NOTE: iMovie currently has NO capabilities to compensate for 16:9 encoded DV footage. Don't even try.

ALSO: If you have to adjust a setting for an individual clip(s) in FCP, you have to render the ENTIRE clip to show it correctly. If it's a long clip and/or you don't have a G4, that could take some time. It takes FOREVER on my Pismo 400.

If you have more questions, I'll dig up the manuals for my camcorder and FCP to answer them for you.

EDIT: Added the "ALSO" section.

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: CosmoNut ]</p>