Apple's Phil Schiller plugs security report showing 99% of mobile malware targets Android

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's marketing chief took to Twitter on Tuesday to promote the 2014 edition of Cisco's Annual Security Report, presumably in a bid to draw attention to the report's finding that 99 percent of mobile device-targeted malware is directed at Android.

Schiller tweet

Schiller offered a link to the report sans comment, a common practice for the executive since joining Twitter in 2008. Tuesday's tweet marks the second time Schiller has referenced Cisco's yearly missive after he directed followers to the 2013 edition last year.

The report notes that while malicious software aimed at specific mobile devices comprised just 1.2 percent of malware tracked by Cisco in 2013, it is a growing area of concern. Android devices bore the brunt of those attacks, with J2ME-enabled devices --?like Nokia's Asha series --?second on the list.

Cisco report

Social engineering attacks, such as phishing and likejacking, are said to be far more prevalent. Malware authors use these methods to access accounts and collect personal identification, like social security and credit card numbers, to commit financial crimes.

The gulf between Android and iOS is narrower, but still enormous, when these non-targeted attacks are considered.

"An analysis of user agents by Cisco TRAC/SIO reveals that Android users, at 71 percent, have the highest encounter rates with all forms of web-delivered malware," the report says, "followed by Apple iPhone users with 14 percent of all web malware encounters."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    But...but...but... Android is "open", it's "Free", and Apple is "Walled Garden", "no choice"!!

Is Cisco implying that Android is less secure than iOS?? But...but... that's not what I'm hearing..

http://www.dailytech.com/Googles+Eric+Schmidt+Says+Android+is+More+Secure+Than+iPhone/article33515.htm

edit: Got my Os's all mixed-up... :/
  • Reply 2 of 52

Report download button seems to be borked for me; it redirects me to an unresponsive thank-you page. Has anyone else succeeded in downloading the report?

• Reply 3 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Why pay for an AI subscription when we can simply follow Schiller for free? This isn't Daring Fireball, guys.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sflocal wrote: »
    But...but...but... Android is "open", it's "Free", and Apple is "Walled Garden", "no choice"!!

Is Cisco implying that Android is less secure than Android?? But...but... that's not what I'm hearing..

http://www.dailytech.com/Googles+Eric+Schmidt+Says+Android+is+More+Secure+Than+iPhone/article33515.htm

The operative word is target, it's definitely more targeted, now whether the attempts hit their mark is another story.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Is Cisco implying that Android is less secure than Android??

Not likely.  Even if you mean to say, "Is Cisco implying that Android is less secure than iOS??" the answer is still the same.  If one were to use that logic then Windows Phone is more secure then iOS as it's targeted less.  I don't think many here would agree with that conclusion.

• Reply 6 of 52
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Yo dudes, you Apple fans make me sick to my stomach!

There are hardly any malware issues on Android at all! My Android phone has no issues at all.

I am so damn cheap (being an Android user of course), that my solution is simply not to connect to the internet at all. I don't use the internet at home and I especially don't use it on flights. 

And for those rare times when I do need to connect, I simply run shady anti-virus and anti-malware software which I illegally downloaded from some Chinese site.

So there you have it Apple fans, Android is the way to go. And besides, I have $3.50 in my bank account, so there's nothing much to lose if somebody were to hack my phone. 

Apple users pay way too much for their devices. Every penny saved is a fortune for Android users such as myself. I'd love to chat more, but I'm off to eat my ramen noodles dinner right now. I'm heating it up at my neighbors house, so I don't have to use my own stove. 

• Reply 7 of 52
    Wow, I'm definitely switching to Windows Phone!

j/k
  • Reply 8 of 52
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I personally don’t like this sort of thing from Apple. Talking trash about your competitor means you’re worried about them. Phil, shut your pie hole and let us the faithful take care of the hatchet jobs.

• Reply 9 of 52
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Seems about right. 

Android has over 80% of the global market, and encounters about 71 percent of the attacks.

Apple has 12% of the global market and encounters 14% of the attacks.

• Reply 10 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There are hardly any malware issues on Android at all! My Android phone has no issues at all.

I went with Android over price. I don't think you should be so quick to try and stereotype users. I'm pretty happy with the state of protection on Android as is. I've encountered dodgy banner ads on sites that try and install malware, but generally what they do is present a ridiculous list of steps to follow. One of these steps is always to disable the security option on your phone.

I feel the only way that you can avoid being insecure if people are willing to do that is to go with Apple's approach. That comes with a whole bunch of added costs and complexities that I don't think Google wants to deal with.

Your chances of getting malware on either platform are pretty damn low, but on Google's products you can actively harm things if you follow instructions blindly. That's generally not the case on Apple's products.

No need to paint it as a battle between stereotypical poor users and 'correct' Apple users. Just different approaches.

• Reply 11 of 52

I can't be the only one to notice that the graphic breaks out the Iphone Ipad and Ipod individually.  If you added them together they would be much closer to the bar representing android.

• Reply 12 of 52
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

What point is he trying to make? I don't like this cockiness he's displaying. To me, it sounds like he's playing the for Apple to win, Android has to lose game. Why not just shut up, stay on task and beat them. Don't worry about them, focus on what you do and do it very well. 

Also, all this is doing is asking for iOS to get their fair share of malware and don't say it can't happen because these people aren't stupid. They'll find a way for it to happen. Its only a matter of time. 

• Reply 13 of 52
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

I went with Android over price. I don't think you should be so quick to try and stereotype users. I'm pretty happy with the state of protection on Android as is. I've encountered dodgy banner ads on sites that try and install malware, but generally what they do is present a ridiculous list of steps to follow. One of these steps is always to disable the security option on your phone.

I feel the only way that you can avoid being insecure if people are willing to do that is to go with Apple's approach. That comes with a whole bunch of added costs and complexities that I don't think Google wants to deal with.

Your chances of getting malware on either platform are pretty damn low, but on Google's products you can actively harm things if you follow instructions blindly. That's generally not the case on Apple's products.

No need to paint it as a battle between stereotypical poor users and 'correct' Apple users. Just different approaches.

Did you see how malware companies are buying up Chrome extension makers?

They do this because they can "update" the chrome extensions to include whatever they want and push them out to Android devices with no user awareness, at all.

Fun times, enjoy your malware laden piece of junk.

• Reply 14 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Did you see how malware companies are buying up Chrome extension makers?

They do this because they can "update" the chrome extensions to include whatever they want and push them out to Android devices with no user awareness, at all.

Fun times, enjoy your malware laden piece of junk.

Such are the perils of auto-updating. Regardless it happened to I think a total of two extensions. This is nothing to do with the topic of this thread though, as they are for Chrome, a browser. One that works on basically every platform.

• Reply 15 of 52

You guys are ridiculous, I use a Model 500 phone, it's the coolest phone out there and a definite head turner. It is more secure than an iPhone, Android, Windows, and BB. You guys overpay for everything, do yourself a favor and get yourself one. I'm however finding it difficult to find a case and screen protector for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_500_telephone

• Reply 16 of 52
    @frood
    "Seems about right.

Android has over 80% of the global market, and encounters about 71 percent of the attacks.
    Apple has 12% of the global market and encounters 14% of the attacks."

Then how does your logic explain that all holiday shopping was five times greater on iOS than on using an Android device?
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by veggiedude View Post

Then how does your logic explain that all holiday shopping was five times greater on iOS than on using an Android device?

Well it makes sense that people buying the product at the high end of the market would be more likely to have cash to spend on shopping. There's also the fact that iOS occupies a very high marketshare in the US vs a lot of the world.

• Reply 18 of 52
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    I personally don’t like this sort of thing from Apple. Talking trash about your competitor means you’re worried about them. Phil, shut your pie hole and let us the faithful take care of the hatchet jobs.
    macxpress wrote: »
    What point is he trying to make? I don't like this cockiness he's displaying. To me, it sounds like he's playing the for Apple to win, Android has to lose game. Why not just shut up, stay on task and beat them. Don't worry about them, focus on what you do and do it very well. 

Also, all this is doing is asking for iOS to get their fair share of malware and don't say it can't happen because these people aren't stupid. They'll find a way for it to happen. Its only a matter of time. 

It's called marketing.

He's just doing his job.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    veggiedude wrote: »
    @frood
    "Seems about right.

Apple has 12% of the global market and encounters 14% of the attacks."

Viruses on iOS.

ShopbotGate.

;)
  • Reply 20 of 52

What about web usage among users? Why do Android users (despite their vast numbers) do not USE their devices for the very purpose it was designed for... to browse the web?

For Q1 2013:

iPad 89.28% vs Android 10.71% (I included Kindle stats with Android)

iPhone was 63.20% vs Android 35.52%

http://www.smartinsights.com/mobile-marketing/mobile-marketing-analytics/mobile-marketing-statistics/