Apple looking to ramp production of new 'critical' sapphire component in U.S. by Feb.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Nevermind
  • Reply 22 of 29
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marokero View Post

But they used crystalline silicon, not sapphire which is Al2-O3. Strange though, I found an earlier article which used the same exact picture, and they do not mention sapphire:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/122231-solar-panels-made-with-ion-cannon-are-cheap-enough-to-challenge-fossil-fuels

And then Twin Creeks, who introduced the technique was bought by GT Advanced who applied the basic idea to other materials including Sapphire?

Hence the article title (and many other references to the Apple acquisition in terms of Sapphire).

"GT Advanced to Use Particle Accelerator to Cut Sapphire Glass Production Costs"

BTW that article also mentions a laminated Sapphire product..

"The folks over at TechCrunch go on to note a patent that Apple obtained last year that creates a layered touchscreen with a “hyper-thin sheet of sapphire” combined with much cheaper glass sheets."

• Reply 23 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

And then Twin Creeks, who introduced the technique was bought by GT Advanced who applied the basic idea to other materials including Sapphire?

Hence the article title (and many other references to the Apple acquisition in terms of Sapphire).

"GT Advanced to Use Particle Accelerator to Cut Sapphire Glass Production Costs"

BTW that article also mentions a laminated Sapphire product..

"The folks over at TechCrunch go on to note a patent that Apple obtained last year that creates a layered touchscreen with a “hyper-thin sheet of sapphire” combined with much cheaper glass sheets."

Got it. I guess crystalline silicon isn't so different from sapphire that the same process can be used. I can see some possible future use by sandwiching invisible nano circuitry between thin sapphire sheets to do God knows what ;-)

• Reply 24 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The factory is for full iPhone screens and iWatch. Both.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    We will know any day now I guess ... (Ok so close to 10,000 posts I am reaching!)
  • Reply 26 of 29
    ireland wrote: »
    The factory is for full iPhone screens and iWatch. Both.

Why do you constantly state your desires as fact? Even DigiTimes is more balanced and objective in their comments.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why do you constantly state your desires as fact? Even DigiTimes is more balanced and objective in their comments.

I don’t mind that, as long as he’s mocked for being wrong just as much as I was.

• Reply 28 of 29
    I don’t mind that, as long as he’s mocked for being wrong just as much as I was.

I've certainly gotten on you for making such statements but you at least back up your opinions with details as to why or how you think this desired outcome will transpire.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    solipsismx wrote: »

I've certainly gotten on you for making such statements but you at least back up your opinions with details as to why or how you think this desired outcome will transpire.

I wish more people were like you: stating why you feel the way you do. It should help us all living in congruence.