Sony update brings higher ISO, MP4 1080p videos to iPhone-connected QX10 & QX100 lenses

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2014
Sony this week issued firmware updates for its QX10 and QX100 wireless iPhone-controlled camera lenses, bringing higher ISO speeds and full high definition 1080p video recording support in the MP4 format to both models.

QX100

Firmware version 2.00 raises the max ISO from 1600 to ISO 3200 for the low-end Qx10 camera, while the high-end QX100 has been boosted from ISO 3200 to ISO 12800.

The wireless lenses also support full HD video recording in MP4 format with a resolution of 1,920 by 1080 pixels at 30 frames per second. In addition, the QX100 update also grants it a new Shutter Speed Priority shooting mode, granting users direct access control to shutter speed.

Firmware updaters for both the QX10 and QX100 are both available direct from Sony, and are compatible with both OS X and Windows. Availability of the new firmware versions for Sony's lenses was first reported by Xperia Blog.

QX10

Last year, AppleInsider reviewed both the QX10, which sells for $249, and the QX100, which is available for $499. The Cyber-shot lenses performed well, but we found that the hardware was held back by shaky software developed by Sony.

The devices connect to Apple's iPhone via Wi-Fi direct, and are then controlled by the handset. The iPhone also acts as a live viewfinder for the accessory, while the lens can be clipped to the back of the iPhone or even positioned and controlled remotely.

The defining feature of the QX10 is a 10X optical zoom that goes well beyond what the native iPhone camera can accomplish, while QX100 sports a 1-inch Exmor CMOS sensor and a Carl Zeiss lens. Both devices save photos and videos to a microSD card, but content can be transferred from the camera to the iPhone for editing and sharing on the go.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Good news. I want a QX100 for its unique features. Good to see that it must be a going concern, otherwise why upgrade it?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    I love the idea, but as long as the lens connects to the iPhone via WiFi Direct, its a non-starter. Too much lag and set up time. No reason these can't use Bluetooth LE.
    Also (if I remember correctly) you can only use it with the crappy Sony app. It has to be usable with any photo enabled app to be of any value.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I love the idea, but as long as the lens connects to the iPhone via WiFi Direct, its a non-starter. Too much lag and set up time. No reason these can't use Bluetooth LE.

Also (if I remember correctly) you can only use it with the crappy Sony app. It has to be usable with any photo enabled app to be of any value.

I'm looking at what's useful about it and ignoring the weaknesses. I want to use it mainly on a tripod for landscapes and static subjects. The usefulness I see is the remote control via an iPad, mini or full-size. The camera can be low or with sun to its back, or pointing down at the subject on the floor, and I'll be able to be in a comfortable position, sitting, shaded, under an umbrella, viewing the scene through a hood over the iPad, etc., and pop the shot when it's ready. I'm getting a quality Zeiss lens and a 20MP sensor for $500. That's not too shabby. And it's not a lot of equipment to lug around.

• Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Bluetooth LE would be far to slow to display the video on the screen of the iOS device as well as for file transfers.  

• Reply 5 of 12
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Still aint worth it. 

• Reply 6 of 12

Upgraded to 1080p? Come on guys, where's 4K? ;)

• Reply 7 of 12

Updated perfectly well, this is a new concept in technology.

If you don't like it don't buy it, 1080p welcomed.

And ask for 4K the sensor unable to do real-time even if bandwidth available.

like to know what 4k monitor people own to even playback video with 1:1 pixel resolution.

Great device and great idea, which I am sure can be applied in many way not thought of before with traditional point and shoot.

Speed on 5S acceptable as one would expect, it's not a streaming device, hopefully Sony progress software constantly.  The Exmoor sensors have a vast array of features.

Enjoy what you like, knocking of products wait forever for something that is tomorrows products.

• Reply 8 of 12
    Originally Posted by mikeybabes View Post

like to know what 4k monitor people own to even playback video with 1:1 pixel resolution.

Any 4K monitor, as there are dozens.

• Reply 9 of 12
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    danielsw wrote: »
    I'm looking at what's useful about it and ignoring the weaknesses. I want to use it mainly on a tripod for landscapes and static subjects. The usefulness I see is the remote control via an iPad, mini or full-size. The camera can be low or with sun to its back, or pointing down at the subject on the floor, and I'll be able to be in a comfortable position, sitting, shaded, under an umbrella, viewing the scene through a hood over the iPad, etc., and pop the shot when it's ready. I'm getting a quality Zeiss lens and a 20MP sensor for $500. That's not too shabby. And it's not a lot of equipment to lug around.

You are far better off buying the rx100II for $200 more since it also has live view via wifi and no lag when using it as a camera.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Great! But too late, I've already sold my QX100 on the 2nd-hand market....
  • Reply 11 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I just don't see this being a success. If I really need or can be bothered to carry bulk I have real DSLRs when not I have an iPhone.