???? A Few answers Please??

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Ok this might be a silly question but Im asking! I have a G4 400MHZ 20GB HD w/192MB! going to add 2 128mbs to that soon!

ANYWAY! can I add a internal Hard drive, then use that drive almost like a second computer and run MAC OS 10 on it! Also use for storage for media!

if so what types of drives do you recomend!

also liked to know about video capture cards??? thinking of adding one of the USB ones! To get a little TV on my G4! anyone know of any known problems?????

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by bbrown9506:

<strong>Ok this might be a silly question but Im asking! I have a G4 400MHZ 20GB HD w/192MB! going to add 2 128mbs to that soon!

ANYWAY! can I add a internal Hard drive, then use that drive almost like a second computer and run MAC OS 10 on it! Also use for storage for media!

if so what types of drives do you recomend!

also liked to know about video capture cards??? thinking of adding one of the USB ones! To get a little TV on my G4! anyone know of any known problems?????</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm, this would probably be better off in current hardware... you will get much more exposure there... but i'll make a suggestion anyways. You are probably better off getting 1 256 Ram mod or a 512 mod, they are all relativly cheap and priced about the same...

As for HDs, they are all relativly pretty good. go for a 7200RPM... and yes you can install OS X on it, but im not sure if that is such a good idea, i think you would be better off if you put X on your current drive and if you want a backup 9 system on the new HD... but that is just me... I'm not very fammiliar with X, but from what I've read its best to keep it on the main HD...

I have no expereince at all with video capture cards, but since you have a G4, it would make sence to get A PCI based one rather then USB... but I dont know much about them.... anyways... hth

-Paul
  • Reply 2 of 2
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    X seems to be fine when it comes to booting off different drives. It can handle booting off firewire just fine (I do it sometimes without any problems what soever).

I would stick with moving 9 over to your older drive, and keep X on the new drive. Switch the master/slave configs around, as i would guess that has some bearing on performance (not sure i am speaking crap here ). The new drive will probably be quicker anyway.

I think formac has X software for TV capture cards, and they are about the only people who do.

AJ

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: Mr A J ]</p>