Audio hardware

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm looking to buy some good audio hardware and need some advice. I spent time reading through all the audio stuff i could find @apple.com, but it tends to lack any specific (brand/product) solutions (for obvious reasons). So maybe some of you can guide me in the right direction.

I've got an over-clocked beige right now (333MHz, 256MB). It has the A/V personality card with analogue I/O, so i guess i could just buy a cheap mixer and a couple mics. But then I was looking into the various audio recording specific PCI cards (which i could then move to my G5 when i get it.....................)

Oh yeah, and i have cubase VST/32, digital performer, and a bunch of other apps. i've spent a lot of time playing around with cubase on my PBG3 266MHz, but the only recording i can do on that is through the built in mic (really shitty).

Ok, so i'm ready for any and all advice...

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    sizzle chestsizzle chest Posts: 1,133member
    Wanna buy my Mark of the Unicorn 2408 Mark II? I just bought a MOTU 828 (which wouldn't work for you, since it's firewire).

Seriously, I recommend the Mark of the Unicorn stuff.

Another cheap alternative would be the M-Audio (division of Midiman) Audiophile 2496. I have one of those in one of my PCs, and it's pretty good if you want a cheap PCI i/o.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>Wanna buy my Mark of the Unicorn 2408 Mark II? I just bought a MOTU 828 (which wouldn't work for you, since it's firewire).

Seriously, I recommend the Mark of the Unicorn stuff.

Another cheap alternative would be the M-Audio (division of Midiman) Audiophile 2496. I have one of those in one of my PCs, and it's pretty good if you want a cheap PCI i/o.</strong><hr></blockquote>

the MOTU stuff looks good, and I've always been impressed by their "Mac-ness", but I don't know that I want to make that large of an investment (yet). Of course, I guess it depends how much you were looking to get for the 2408?

Any experience with the M-Audio delta 1010-lt? I'm not too sure about the whole balanced/unbalanced +4 -10 deal, but the last two mics i bought (which were stolen) had XLR's, which would mean going Mic-&gt;card-&gt;Cubase. without me having to buy a mixer, or any other hardware, right?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    you would actually still need a microphone preamp before going into the soundcard. I think M-Audio has some cards with preamps built in.

BTW an excellent place for this question would be on one of <a href="http://www.musicplayer.com"; target="_blank">www.musicplayer.com</a> forums. Try Craig Anderton's Sound Studio and Stage, it's the most beginner friendly of the forums.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by trick fall:

<strong>you would actually still need a microphone preamp before going into the soundcard. I think M-Audio has some cards with preamps built in.

BTW an excellent place for this question would be on one of <a href="http://www.musicplayer.com"; target="_blank">www.musicplayer.com</a> forums. Try Craig Anderton's Sound Studio and Stage, it's the most beginner friendly of the forums.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah, the delta 1010LT is one of the cards with preamps (that's why i was asking if anyone had experience with it).

thanks for the suggestions about musicplayer.com

i'll do some reading/posting there.

thanks.

[ 03-02-2002: Message edited by: concentricity ]</p>