Imovie and Canon camera

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm just about to buy a Canon DV450i camera but have one or two niggles at the back of my mind.

1. Is it compatible with imovie ? On the apple page it isn't listed although its predecessor ( the 400i) is ?

2. I think I read somewhere that iMovie doesn't support the Canon's extended play feature. i was at a mac OS roadshow last week and even the apple people there weren't sure . Can anyone confirm this?

3. Finally, it doesn't say that its firewire compatible. I'm assuming that means it connects via USB. just how much slower is that going to be?

[ 03-02-2002: Message edited by: jimdad ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    If it's not FireWire, IEEE1394, or iLink then it will not work with iMovie, at all. Check on Apple's iMovie page (www.apple.com/imovie) for a list of supported cameras.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    sapisapi Posts: 207member
    the "i" models all have firewire/ IE 1394 according to the pdf file which I downloaded from the dutch canon site (canon.nl), they even talk about connectivity with mac's so don't worry.

If you're not convince I can email you the pdf, it's dutch, but you will see firewire is mentioned.

I'm actually about to buy the 400i, for EURO 997, has anyone experience with this model, if so please share.. and you think the price is right??

EDIT: you're model is not a supported camera by Apple, but that doesn't mean it won't work I guess..., find a list <a href="http://www.apple.com/imovie/compatibility.html"; target="_blank">here</a>, the 400i on the otherhand is supported

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: sapi ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    Thanks for the help guys. I went down to local store and checked it out. It does have a firewire connection so I suppose it must work with iMovie. Local mac reseller has also sold some of them to mac users so I'll go ahead.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    sapisapi Posts: 207member
    so.. for what price?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    £599 ex VAT for the camera ( bought for school so don't know what inc VAT would be) from Macwarehouse.

Tried it out and it seems great. Firewire was a squoosh ! Shot a bit of film connected, opened iMovie and it came in in separate clips just as I hoped. Ten minutes on iMovie and the results were fairly impressive - for me. Quality of both film and sound were great. Camera came with some PC editing software as well and a PCI card. Only disappointment so far has been the price of DV tape. Hoping to buy some of the extra plugins from Virtix etc. for iMovie soon.

Thanks for the help 'though, guys.